Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 01:00 PM

10,950 posts, read 6,683,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Read first post. They all have SUPPRESSANTS TOO!

Robitussin, mucinex, generic...every single one of them at the store had both. It was the pharmacy section of my grocery store, which has a real pharmacy.
There is a Mucinex without a suppressant.

"Does Mucinex have a cough suppressant?
Certain Mucinex® products contain guaifenesin, an expectorant, which helps to thin and loosen the mucus in your airways and make your coughs more “productive. ”Some Mucinex® products also use the cough suppressant dextromethorphan, an antitussive, which helps you cough less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 01:13 PM

5,609 posts, read 4,155,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
There is a Mucinex without a suppressant.

I know. But not at the only store open last night.

Anyway I got some today.

Old 11-21-2022, 01:18 PM

Great, hope it gets better soon. Congested lungs and coughing are not fun.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:19 PM

22,847 posts, read 18,137,155 times
Don't forget to drink more fluids. I mean a lot more. Helps keep things liquid and lubricated so you can get rid of it easier.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:59 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,333,186 times
Quote:
I don't understand why there are no OTC expectorants without suppressants. The two work against each other. if you suppress cough, you can't expel the crap that the expectorant is supposed to loosen. What am I missing?

You are missing going to the doctor and finding out if you have bronchitis, pneumonia or covid or not. Also get a prescription instead of OTC. There are some things you cannot get OTC.

Here's a home treatment that won't necessarily work if you have pneumonia and certainly not for covid. Breathe in the steam morning and night from a large bowl of boiled water with a towel over your head to trap the steam into the space around your face. Add a drop of eucalyptus tincture you can get at a health store. Apply Vicks Vapor Rub on your chest and throat then wrap a scarf or tea towel or pc of flannel cloth around your neck. A bandana doesn't work as well.

Old 11-21-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
You are missing going to the doctor and finding out if you have bronchitis, pneumonia or covid or not. Also get a prescription instead of OTC. There are some things you cannot get OTC.

I went to the doctor. I have RSV. She said to use OTC expectorant and gave me a prescription suppressant to use only if I want to (I doubt I will). I've already cleared more crud in a few hours than I did all weekend. I can almost breathe

Old 11-21-2022, 03:59 PM

It didn't occur to me at the time but I have prednisone in the house. That probably would have helped me a lot last night if I had thought of it.

Old 11-21-2022, 04:04 PM

Definitely. My Pulmonologist gives me Levaquin and Prednisone together when I have pneumonia.

Old 11-21-2022, 04:09 PM

17,320 posts, read 13,057,451 times
Quote:
Dude, this thread is not about there being no place on earth to buy it. This is about there being none at the nearest store when I needed it on a SUNDAY NIGHT and the fact that they apparently don't even stock it, despite more than a dozen different kinds of cough medicine. The next closest place would have been a 2 hour round trip in the dark when I couldn't breathe. No thanks.

It was Sunday night fer chrissake, no pharmacies open anywhere near me

Thank you. Its almost like I can read labels, and assess my situation like a grown up, and know that there are no other options nearby.

I seriously considered going to the ER, which would have been my only option on a SUNDAY NIGHT!!!! I very nearly suffocated last night and had to try and sleep sitting up which is pretty much impossible.
DUDE, I answered your question. It's not my fault that your store was out! If you "very nearly suffocated" you should have gone to emergency room

Quote:
I have the worst chest congestion I've had in many years. It was productive at first, now it isn't, but the congestion remains. I never use OTC meds but since it has become quite uncomfortable I drove down to the store only to find...they have dozens of cough meds but they all contain expectorant AND cough suppressant (and usually other crap I don't want too). Why? WTH? I don't want my cough suppressed, I want it to produce so I can clear out my drowning lungs! Jiminy Crickets I'm dying and I left with nothing but honey, which I guess is also an expectorant AND A SUPPRESSANT!

I don't understand why there are no OTC expectorants without suppressants. The two work against each other. if you suppress cough, you can't expel the crap that the expectorant is supposed to loosen. What am I missing?

Old 11-21-2022, 04:25 PM

984 posts, read 433,483 times
Quote:
Read first post. They all have SUPPRESSANTS TOO!

Robitussin, mucinex, generic...every single one of them at the store had both. It was the pharmacy section of my grocery store, which has a real pharmacy.
You can get plain Robitussin. My son cannot have the suppressant that comes in most cough syrups but he can have plain Robitussin. If you can't find it for adults, look in the children's section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness