U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2022, 09:18 AM

15,389 posts, read 18,586,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I've been dealing with some muscle tension on my neck and upper back for a couple of years now. I've been going to the Chiropractor for 3 months. They've been having me come in 3 days a week monthly. He wants me to see him for an entire year. He said he eventually may just have me come in once a month, but recently he adjusted my schedule to twice a week.

I have felt some relief and progress since I've been going.

However I plan to discontinue because I don't feel like I need to be going in as often as I'm going and I feel improvement. I also have other things going on with my health that's not Chiropractic related that I want to spend more time on.

Also this is a bit expensive and I want to start saving money. This is costing me $300.00 a month.

I called the clinic and told them I want to take a hiatus.

The girl said, "What do you mean? Is everything okay?"

I briefly told her it's been some things going on financially and what not.

She told me,

"I still want you to come to your appointment on Wednesday and I'll have you talk to one of the techs because I don't want you to just stop coming in. We can address the finances and work something out for you."

I agreed. I will go, but I still want to inform them that I want to take a break. Perhaps not indefinitely but for a period.

What do you guys think?

Ok so 3X week/12 visits month = $25 a visit/sounds like a co-pay......so Dr. is likely collecting a lot more from the insurance company. Of course they don't want you to stop going, they are making money!

Good news - you felt relief
Bad news it's time consuming and expensive

Me: I'd tell them you are going out of town for the holidays and you are going to call them in the new year then see how you feel.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 09:25 AM

15,389 posts, read 18,586,271 times
This chiro is super popular on youtube, I'd be afraid of the "ring dinger"

I've been adjusted by probably a dozen different chiros and have never seen something so violent but it appears to work, everyone seems relieved (like they didn't die in the process)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDzEFAYzJcc

Old 11-29-2022, 09:25 AM

8,165 posts, read 6,019,258 times
I've had very good luck with chiropractors over the years. Only one wanted me to come in on a regular basis, the others left it up to me to decide if I wanted another adjustment.

I locked my neck up pretty bad, it took 2 visits to fix.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:41 AM

5,329 posts, read 2,909,244 times
Any good chiropractor will tell you to come in when you need to. If they try to get you to come in on a schedule run. You should never let someone adjust you with a towel because it can cause a stroke.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:15 AM

9,261 posts, read 9,248,873 times
I've seen three chiropractors. Two were very good and told me I didn't need to come back. They said they weren't helping me. The third tried to convince me I needed to sign up for an ongoing program of treatment. He had a room full of people getting treatments every evening. They were all workers compensation patients. I would not see a chiropractor more than 2-3 times for a particular issue.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:08 PM

19,399 posts, read 13,004,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I have problems with TMJ flares from time to time and did a round of PT about a year ago that focused on the neck, shoulders, and jaw. I am having issues a gain and probably need to get back to doing my exercises. The benefit of PT is that they should be able to teach you some skills to help you figure out how to get to the underlying cause of the muscle tension so you don’t continue to experience it.
I've also had TMJ issues and have been a lifelong bruxer. My bite is a mess (long unnecessary story about not having the orthodontic work I probably should have as a kid) and that seems to be the underlying cause. The dentist who diagnosed the problem explained what was going on, built me a custom night guard to protect my teeth and reduce jaw pain. I had moved recently so pulled his name out of my insurance directory. This all happened before most people even knew what TMJ was all about. However, he seemed knowledgeable, and the suggested treatment plan wasn't invasive. He also sent me to a PT. She was extremely helpful. Not only did we do guided exercise and ultrasound therapy over a couple of weeks of appointments, she taught me a lot about how interconnected the jaw, face, neck and shoulder musculature is and she also taught me stretches and exercises to relieve pain for the future. Education, PT, plus the nightguard pretty much eliminated the pain quite quickly. Hardly ever have pain now but if I do I know exactly what to do about it.

I've never gone to a chiropractor per se but have known a few people who had positive outcomes from one. One of my family practice PCPs years ago was an osteopath. I was facing a 20 hour jet trip and happened to be going through some sort of sciatica related flare. I was desperate to get some relief or at least figure out how to make that flight bearable. She did a chiropractic "adjustment" for me along with heat and massage, and gave me very specific self care instructions leading up to the trip. It worked beautifully. I don't automatically dismiss alternative therapies but I certainly do challenge and research them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-29-2022 at 03:28 PM..

Old 11-29-2022, 06:07 PM

21,386 posts, read 6,801,200 times
What is your diagnosis?

Have you had an MRI to show where the issue is in the spine?

Old 11-29-2022, 06:32 PM

201 posts, read 149,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What is your diagnosis?

Have you had an MRI to show where the issue is in the spine?
I've had an MRI of my Brain, Neck, and Lumbar.

My neck MRI just showed mild disc dehydration at C5-C6 and straightening of the cervical lordosis.

Brain and Lumbar we're normal.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:24 PM

7,596 posts, read 9,450,567 times
YOU are in charge, not the chiro office. I agree with the above advice, cancel and look at options.

I believed in chiro for years because decades ago I did SOMETHING, I forget what, that put my whole body in terrible pain. The chiro fixed that in a few sessions.

Fast forward. I believe my last chiro session, a rather rough one, may have triggered my PMR. Which in my case was pain in every joint from neck to hips. My knees got a break.

PMR is NOT fun.

First, do no harm.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:54 PM

274 posts, read 249,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I've been dealing with some muscle tension on my neck and upper back for a couple of years now. I've been going to the Chiropractor for 3 months. They've been having me come in 3 days a week monthly. He wants me to see him for an entire year. He said he eventually may just have me come in once a month, but recently he adjusted my schedule to twice a week.

I have felt some relief and progress since I've been going.

However I plan to discontinue because I don't feel like I need to be going in as often as I'm going and I feel improvement. I also have other things going on with my health that's not Chiropractic related that I want to spend more time on.

Also this is a bit expensive and I want to start saving money. This is costing me $300.00 a month.

I called the clinic and told them I want to take a hiatus.

The girl said, "What do you mean? Is everything okay?"

I briefly told her it's been some things going on financially and what not.

She told me,

"I still want you to come to your appointment on Wednesday and I'll have you talk to one of the techs because I don't want you to just stop coming in. We can address the finances and work something out for you."

I agreed. I will go, but I still want to inform them that I want to take a break. Perhaps not indefinitely but for a period.

What do you guys think?
I'm glad that you've had some relief at the Chirpractor recently.

If you feel like this is conflicting with your schedule (the frequent appointments), mention to them, "It's been difficult to make these appointments as they're frequent and conflicting with my schedule/other medical appointments. Is it possible that I could come in once a week/once a month/twice a month?" Sometimes places will work with you on this and area nice about it and other times not so much.

If it's a financial issue flat out say, "I'd love to continue coming here, but I cannot afford to paying $300 each month. I would still like to come back at a later date when I have more funds for the chiropractic work that needs to be done."

Definitely be honest with the team working with you. They may or may not like what you say - but it's helpful to them to know what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness