U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 12:52 PM

11,940 posts, read 13,003,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post

That would be a 235 mile drive for us. I think I'd have more luck getting her out for a walk. Admittedly my wife is a switch on or off person. When she sets her mind to it, she'll work out 6 days a week for 3 months straight. I've told her that the journey should be a marathon and not a sprint. Unfortunately, she's pretty much like the person that goes to the gym in January with the New Year's resolution and burns out by the end of Feb.

I see! Last Christmas, although fiance' & I had been living where we have for 25+ yrs, we found a fabulous regional park we had never been to about 20 min away (on the fwy) that we love & have walked & biked there quite a bit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 12:59 PM

3,142 posts, read 1,903,532 times
Agree with OP. The USA was the world's 72nd healthiest country before we got even more lazy thanks to bad politicians and the corporations who control them.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 6,030,535 times
Quote:
I'm absolutely convinced of it.

My wife works from home 3x a week and all she does is snack all day and then tells me she has to get back on her diet as she can't seem to keep the weight off. Today I counted how many times she went back and forth to the kitchen for snacks. We're not quite through the day yet and she's up to 20. I have a client of mine that say he's having the same problem and has put on 15 lbs since he started working at home.

Anyone else putting on extra weight since the WFH phenomenon started?
You might be right, there's another thread on C-D about what people wear when they work from home. Several wear pajamas or just underwear all day. They may be surprised when they go put on their regular fitted clothes some day.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:22 PM

4,510 posts, read 1,708,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
You might be right, there's another thread on C-D about what people wear when they work from home. Several wear pajamas or just underwear all day. They may be surprised when they go put on their regular fitted clothes some day.
It's 1:21 PM and I am still wearing my PJs.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:57 PM

27,355 posts, read 15,879,262 times
Quote:

My wife works from home 3x a week and all she does is snack all day and then tells me she has to get back on her diet as she can't seem to keep the weight off. Today I counted how many times she went back and forth to the kitchen for snacks. We're not quite through the day yet and she's up to 20. I have a client of mine that say he's having the same problem and has put on 15 lbs since he started working at home.

We're #12 with mostly some tiny island nations "ahead" of us in obesity and also Kuwait, where I worked a few years.

For me, I had to learn what to eat and not eat to get healthy after I got fat and unhealthy. I lost all my excess weight (50 lbs) about 6 years ago and kept it off.

Old 11-30-2022, 02:34 PM

21,287 posts, read 22,185,957 times
People are incapable of self-control!?!?!?

You snack all day, you most likely will get fat.

Old 11-30-2022, 03:13 PM

885 posts, read 453,002 times
Quote:

I became leaner and better in shape post WFH....much lesser stress levels as well....absolutely love it.

Old 11-30-2022, 04:27 PM

5,746 posts, read 3,978,905 times
I've been WFH for a few years now, before covid, but more now after (self employed). My snacking ebbs and flows. I do work out more so that helps a lot. I have to say I am overall in better shape now than in 2019 (but I was heard muttering today that I should buy serving sized bags of potato chips if I am going to eat them again). It's more about the ability to stay moving and having healthy snacks to eat for me

Old 11-30-2022, 04:39 PM

23,052 posts, read 29,790,029 times
Quote:

It's pretty obvious - when we ate THREE MEALS a day, sat down at a table, ate with forks and knives, not handheld food we were a thinner country. Snacking was generally looked down on. If we snacked, it was usually fruit, carrots and celery, even a cup of tea or coffee and TWO cookies. Once in a while.

Personally, other than fruits and veggies, I do not snack. I also do not eat after eight with the exception of popcorn with Himalayan Sea salt organic popcorn on movie night. Usually Friday.

I also let loose on holidays and I fast one day a week. Not totally, I have two protein shakes and three pieces of fruit.

I think it started when parents began letting children dictate menus, and fast food became prevalent. Ideally, I wish parents would not ever serve FF to their kids, because it's an acquired taste, believe it or not. People develop a taste for it when they are fed fast food early in life.

Asking each kid what fast food they want for dinner and driving to different places to pick each "order" up, teaches them more than an addiction to bad foods.

Old 11-30-2022, 05:35 PM

945 posts, read 301,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It's pretty obvious - when we ate THREE MEALS a day, sat down at a table, ate with forks and knives, not handheld food we were a thinner country. Snacking was generally looked down on. If we snacked, it was usually fruit, carrots and celery, even a cup of tea or coffee and TWO cookies. Once in a while.

Personally, other than fruits and veggies, I do not snack. I also do not eat after eight with the exception of popcorn with Himalayan Sea salt organic popcorn on movie night. Usually Friday.

I also let loose on holidays and I fast one day a week. Not totally, I have two protein shakes and three pieces of fruit.

I think it started when parents began letting children dictate menus, and fast food became prevalent. Ideally, I wish parents would not ever serve FF to their kids, because it's an acquired taste, believe it or not. People develop a taste for it when they are fed fast food early in life.

Asking each kid what fast food they want for dinner and driving to different places to pick each "order" up, teaches them more than an addiction to bad foods.
Eh, that's not totally true Sheena. In fact, for quite some time, being fat not only had a strong visual appeal but was also looked at as a symbol of wealth and prosperity. In addition, there's no truth that I know of to not having something to eat based on a certain time in the evening (i.e. not eating after 8). I think it's easier to sleep by not going to sleep with a full stomach but that's my personal preference.

https://columbiametro.com/article/do...%20from%20food.

“Eat after 8, and you’ll gain weight” has a nice ring to it, but it’s not true. It is based on the myth that the body cannot properly metabolize food during sleep. However, the body has intricate systems of metabolizing, storing, and using energy from food. Whatever is “unused” overnight will be there to fuel the body tomorrow. While the body requires less energy during rest, the heart still beats, the gut still digests, lungs still breath, and the brain still works — all activities that require a significant amount of energy.

Last edited by blameyourself; 11-30-2022 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness