Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 04:27 PM

3,404 posts, read 1,476,348 times

Advertisements

I'm absolutely convinced of it.

My wife works from home 3x a week and all she does is snack all day and then tells me she has to get back on her diet as she can't seem to keep the weight off. Today I counted how many times she went back and forth to the kitchen for snacks. We're not quite through the day yet and she's up to 20. I have a client of mine that say he's having the same problem and has put on 15 lbs since he started working at home.

Anyone else putting on extra weight since the WFH phenomenon started?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 08:16 PM

12,629 posts, read 14,757,130 times
Yes, a little due to not being quite as active, but I personally don't sit there snacking all day, so I'm keeping it under control for the most part. I eat like I always have. Also, I have an under-the-desk peddler, so your wife should get one. Also, on the weekends or something, you two should go walking &/oir biking.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:32 PM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
No, but I just don't snack between my three meals. Never had. So, it's just a habit.

Just don't have any desirable snacks at home.
That's what I do.
Plenty of rabbit food, though.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Yes, a little due to not being quite as active, but I personally don't sit there snacking all day, so I'm keeping it under control for the most part. I eat like I always have. Also, I have an under-the-desk peddler, so your wife should get one. Also, on the weekends or something, you two should go walking &/oir biking.
Considering you're only going to burn off roughly 100 calories for every mile you walk (let alone, one has to have the desire to do that... she doesn't), that wouldn't undo this (those foot pedalers on average, burn off maybe 200 per day). As I tell my clients, intake is pretty much always going to be the culprit in regards to weight loss. It starts with what goes in the mouth.

Rabbit food is good Elnina. It also sounds like you have no issues with self control. When I shop, we tend to have mostly rabbit food in the house. Then she gets annoyed with the food I buy and she joins me for the shopping trip and it's snacks galore. I do believe in not having that kind of stuff around the house to help her with her lack of control. Of course, when she does have to go into work, she doesn't have that easy accessibility to that food during the day and that appears to be the biggest difference.

Last edited by blameyourself; 11-30-2022 at 01:32 AM..

Old 11-30-2022, 11:51 AM

4,940 posts, read 2,186,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I'm absolutely convinced of it.

My wife works from home 3x a week and all she does is snack all day and then tells me she has to get back on her diet as she can't seem to keep the weight off. Today I counted how many times she went back and forth to the kitchen for snacks. We're not quite through the day yet and she's up to 20. I have a client of mine that say he's having the same problem and has put on 15 lbs since he started working at home.

Anyone else putting on extra weight since the WFH phenomenon started?
Interesting. It's been the opposite for me. I prepare my own food at home and it's a much healthier alternative to eating out. I do snack, but it's on grapes, cranberries, kiwi, mango, etc. It's not even that I am trying to eat healthier, it just comes naturally when working from home.

I did gain weight over the last two years (I've been WFH for six), but that was mostly due to inactivity due to back injuries from an auto accident. Since being released to work out again a few weeks ago, I've already lost a few lbs.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Interesting. It's been the opposite for me. I prepare my own food at home and it's a much healthier alternative to eating out. I do snack, but it's on grapes, cranberries, kiwi, mango, etc. It's not even that I am trying to eat healthier, it just comes naturally when working from home.

I did gain weight over the last two years (I've been WFH for six), but that was mostly due to inactivity due to back injuries from an auto accident. Since being released to work out again a few weeks ago, I've already lost a few lbs.

That's awesome Jasper. Continued success to you.

There have been some studies on this. Here's one of them....

https://obesitymedicine.org/achievin...ents-continue/

Possibly the most important variable with weight gain and weight loss is caloric intake. How much a person eats is controlled by an incredibly complex network of factors ranging from genetics and hormones to food availability and emotional state. When working remotely, the distance between the workstation and food has been drastically decreased, sometimes to mere feet, so that food availability is much higher.

And of course, if those foods are calorie dense (unlike what you or Elnina are doing), It can be a recipe for disaster.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:38 PM

12,629 posts, read 14,757,130 times
Quote:
Considering you're only going to burn off roughly 100 calories for every mile you walk (let alone, one has to have the desire to do that... she doesn't), that wouldn't undo this (those foot pedalers on average, burn off maybe 200 per day). As I tell my clients, intake is pretty much always going to be the culprit in regards to weight loss. It starts with what goes in the mouth.

The part I bolded, yes for sure! Well, walking's nice anyway to get fresh air OR better yet walking/biking at the beach if you can get to one's even better to breathe in those negative ions.

"The beach, in particular, can have as much as 2000 negative ions per cubic centimeter as opposed to a crowded city that may have less than 100. Studies have shown that negative ions possess not only an anti-microbial effect but also a mood-stabilizing one."

Old 11-30-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
The part I bolded, yes for sure! Well, walking's nice anyway to get fresh air OR better yet walking/biking at the beach if you can get to one's even better to breathe in those negative ions.

"The beach, in particular, can have as much as 2000 negative ions per cubic centimeter as opposed to a crowded city that may have less than 100. Studies have shown that negative ions possess not only an anti-microbial effect but also a mood-stabilizing one."

That would be a 235 mile drive for us. I think I'd have more luck getting her out for a walk. Admittedly my wife is a switch on or off person. When she sets her mind to it, she'll work out 6 days a week for 3 months straight and be completely on point with diet. I've told her that the journey should be a marathon and not a sprint. Unfortunately, she's pretty much like the person that goes to the gym in January with the New Year's resolution and burns out by the end of Feb.

Last edited by blameyourself; 11-30-2022 at 12:55 PM..

Old 11-30-2022, 12:43 PM

4,940 posts, read 2,186,192 times
Quote:
That's awesome Jasper. Continued success to you.

There have been some studies on this. Here's one of them....

https://obesitymedicine.org/achievin...ents-continue/

Possibly the most important variable with weight gain and weight loss is caloric intake. How much a person eats is controlled by an incredibly complex network of factors ranging from genetics and hormones to food availability and emotional state. When working remotely, the distance between the workstation and food has been drastically decreased, sometimes to mere feet, so that food availability is much higher.

And of course, if those foods are calorie dense (unlike what you or Elnina are doing), It can be a recipe for disaster.
I occasionally work at the office when someone is available to monitor our autistic 21-year-old. I work at a large campus with two markets, two primary care facilities, two full gyms, and two food courts that would put most 80s-era malls to shame. That doesn't include the 6-7 food trucks hanging out at each building. Hell, we don't even have to walk to the food trucks - we have shuttles that take us!

I just gained a pound thinking about all of that food.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_jasper View Post
i occasionally work at the office when someone is available to monitor our autistic 21-year-old. I work at a large campus with two markets, two primary care facilities, two full gyms, and two food courts that would put most 80s-era malls to shame. That doesn't include the 6-7 food trucks hanging out at each building. Hell, we don't even have to walk to the food trucks - we have shuttles that take us!

I just gained a pound thinking about all of that food.
lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness