Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2021, 07:18 PM

17,299 posts, read 13,042,795 times

Advertisements

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-...s-decades.html

Quote:
A promising series of early studies is highlighting two well known medicine cabinet standbys—gemfibrosil, an old-school cholesterol-lowering drug, and retinoic acid, a vitamin A derivative. Gemfibrosil, is sold as Lopid and while it's still used, it is not widely prescribed. Doctors now prefer to prescribe statins to lower cholesterol. Retinoic acid has been used in various formulations to treat everything from acne to psoriasis to cancer.

The two drugs are being studied for their robust impact on the brain and a potential new role that could one day thrust them into fighting what is now an incurable brain disease. Both medications have an uncanny capability to zero in on the brain's astrocytes, cells that originally got their name because they look like stars. But astrocytes are intimately involved in a key process that progressively—and insidiously—destroys the brain.

I really hope that this is a real game changer!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 07:20 PM

9,295 posts, read 16,576,057 times
Default Possible Nasal Vaccine

https://thehill.com/changing-america...ting-new-nasal

Old 11-17-2021, 08:46 PM

1,250 posts, read 665,568 times
This is hilarious. I read a study, years back that Retin-A had caused lung cancer.

Old 11-20-2021, 04:30 PM

20,594 posts, read 8,363,020 times
BigPharma squashes and smears any cheap, safe and effective treatments when they have expensive and unsafe treatments for the same thing. Buyer beware.

Old 11-22-2021, 02:35 AM

6,905 posts, read 6,791,648 times
Beneath the video there is a series of tabs. One is the transcript and another is Sources of the information.

Small samples unfortunately.

Link

Quote:
An exciting case series was published in 2012. Three Alzheimer’s patients treated with turmeric, and their symptoms declined, along with the burden on their caregivers. Let me show you what these data mean in real lives. Case number one: 83 year old woman, started losing her memory, getting disoriented. Then she started having problems taking care of herself, wandering aimlessly, incontinent. After the turmeric though, her agitation, apathy, anxiety, and irritability were relieved and she had less accidents. Furthermore she began to laugh again, and sing again, and knit again. After taking turmeric for more than a year she came to recognize her family and now lives a peaceful life without a significant behavioral or psychological symptom of dementia.

Case 2 was similar, but with hallucinations and delusions and depression, which appeared relieved by turmeric. She began to recognize her family again and now lives in a peacefully serene manner. And the third case, similar as well, including an improvement in cognition. This is the first demonstration that turmeric may be effective and safe for the treatment of the behavioral and psychological symptom of dementia in Alzheimer’s disease patients. They call it a drug, but it’s just a spice you can walk into any grocery store and buy for a few bucks. They were giving people like a teaspoon a day, which comes out to be about 15 cents

choline for altzheimers disease
Also on City-Data Forum this post

Old 11-26-2021, 02:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 665,568 times
The "candidates" are not safe. They have serious side-effects.

Old 12-01-2021, 08:05 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,529,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
The "candidates" are not safe. They have serious side-effects.
They’ve been approved for use for years and years,

Old 11-23-2022, 05:20 PM

240 posts, read 583,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-...s-decades.html

I really hope that this is a real game changer!
I got switched from Gemfibrozil to Cimvastatin (I forget how to spell them). I had no idea there was such excruciating pain as a statin drug caused me until I found out what was causing my agony. It might help the brain but it landed me on a walker. My wife was on a statin drug and sure didn't help her Alzheimer's any. She died as a result of a fall in a Memory CARE facility.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:43 PM

2,987 posts, read 1,952,223 times
Be careful self-medicating with turmeric or any other "natural" herb. Herbal medicines can hurt/heal depending on how they are used.

I used turmeric for a year to treat my diagnosed stomach condition because I had read that turmeric could help. I took a daily dose that seemed safe but what I discovered over the year was that it calmed my stomach inflammation but really slowed down any other healing such as skin breaks and they could get infection staying open so long. So I quit it and went back to RX meds.

Turmeric needs studies to become a useful medicine but since no one can patent it who will pay for the studies?

Old 11-25-2022, 09:18 PM

711 posts, read 575,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I used turmeric for a year to treat my diagnosed stomach condition because I had read that turmeric could help. I took a daily dose that seemed safe
What was the daily dose you were taking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness