Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 04:29 PM

230 posts, read 216,155 times

Advertisements

I've been dealing with some muscle tension on my neck and upper back for a couple of years now. I've been going to the Chiropractor for 3 months. They've been having me come in 3 days a week monthly. He wants me to see him for an entire year. He said he eventually may just have me come in once a month, but recently he adjusted my schedule to twice a week.

I have felt some relief and progress since I've been going.

However I plan to discontinue because I don't feel like I need to be going in as often as I'm going and I feel improvement. I also have other things going on with my health that's not Chiropractic related that I want to spend more time on.

Also this is a bit expensive and I want to start saving money. This is costing me $300.00 a month.

I called the clinic and told them I want to take a hiatus.

The girl said, "What do you mean? Is everything okay?"

I briefly told her it's been some things going on financially and what not.

She told me,

"I still want you to come to your appointment on Wednesday and I'll have you talk to one of the techs because I don't want you to just stop coming in. We can address the finances and work something out for you."

I agreed. I will go, but I still want to inform them that I want to take a break. Perhaps not indefinitely but for a period.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 04:39 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think you should go to an orthopedic doctor on your medical insurance and do what he says.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:20 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
What do I think? "Muscle tension?" What's that exactly? I think the chiropractor is trying to figure out how to hang on to a regular income. They're running a business, so you can't blame them for that. Anyway, you agreed to meet. Although you really don't need to explain anything, be prepared for more persuasion. If you aren't sure of your reasons for discontinuing yourself, fix that. You are still in charge of health decisions you make, right? You are the customer, and you can politely decline their offers until you gather more information about what the underlying problem might really be. Did anyone do any diagnostic imaging? Have you asked your PCP about an appointment with a PT? Some targeted PT therapy and home exercise might do as much or more good as these "sessions". For all we know your workstation ergonomics, a phone addiction, bad posture, and poorly managed stress are to blame for this "muscle tension". OTOH, you may be surprised. Not all MDs dismiss chiropractic out of hand.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-28-2022 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-28-2022, 06:39 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post

What do you guys think?
I would not go to a chiropractor if they paid me $3,000 a month to go.

There is the risk of a stroke from neck manipulation.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/chi...ain-an-update/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1905885/

I could post hundreds of articles of people harmed by chiropractors. My neighbor back in Orange County was injured by a chiropractor.

What's the harm in going to a chiropractor?

I think it is possible that some chiropractors may be helpful. I met one but he was more of an exercise based physical therapist. He would never have people come in for a year because he produced immediate results in most clients.

Quote:
I've been dealing with some muscle tension on my neck and upper back for a couple of years now.
Chiropractors are supposed to deal with spinal adjustments. For relief of muscle tension and stiffness try doing Yoga Nidra, a Qigong program or a joint mobility program like Intuflow.

https://ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/qi-g...-back-and-neck

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22y...&bih=568&dpr=1

https://www.youtube.com/@thermaxgym/...query=intuflow

Old 11-28-2022, 06:44 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,867 times
Dbm

Old 11-28-2022, 07:04 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Of course they do; they've got a live one there! Chiros are not even actual doctors and are basically snake-oil salesmen. Run fast, run far!

Old 11-28-2022, 07:50 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,409,977 times
I've gone to a chiropractor for a minor but painful injury to my neck - it was a pinched nerve caused by a sudden movement in the wrong direction (I picked up a 2-pound bag of kitty litter and I must have rolled my shoulder weird while standing back up, who knows, who cares).

He fixed me right up. But he wanted me to return a few times every week. I paid him - gladly, for that day's adjustment. I was thankful for his expertise in correcting the situation and "unpinching" the nerve (not a medical term but that's basically what he did).

I didn't return.

Moral of the story - chiropractors can be useful. They can be helpful, and they can absolutely be worth paying for.

But "muscle tension" is not one of the things you need a chiropractor for. What you need is massage, heat compresses, MAYBE muscle relaxers if the pain is severe. Maybe smoke a joint if medical cannabis is legal where you are. And relieve some of your mental stress as well - because mental stress can cause you to reflexively stiffen up, which can lead to muscle tension and injury.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:57 PM

3,121 posts, read 1,011,740 times
They are desperate for your money. It happened to me too. Twice, at two different practices.

First clinic:
I went there for 6-7 weeks, 3 times/week. Not cheap. I was a great client for them. I have a fantastic health insurance. Then...since the treatment didn't help me...I cancelled my future appointments. The girl there called me on the phone the following weeks, 3 or 4 times to convince me to go back.

Second clinic, the same thing. The chiropractor, personally called me after I cancelled (I went there for 4 sessions, first 2 were OK, next very painful) to convince me to go back. This clinic was very expensive.

As I said...they are desperate for your money.

Old 11-28-2022, 08:28 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What do I think? "Muscle tension?" What's that exactly? I think the chiropractor is trying to figure out how to hang on to a regular income. They're running a business, so you can't blame them for that. Anyway, you agreed to meet. Although you really don't need to explain anything, be prepared for more persuasion. If you aren't sure of your reasons for discontinuing yourself, fix that. You are still in charge of health decisions you make, right? You are the customer, and you can politely decline their offers until you gather more information about what the underlying problem might really be. Did anyone do any diagnostic imaging? Have you asked your PCP about an appointment with a PT? Some targeted PT therapy and home exercise might do as much or more good as these "sessions". For all we know your workstation ergonomics, a phone addiction, bad posture, and poorly managed stress are to blame for this "muscle tension". OTOH, you may be surprised. Not all MDs dismiss chiropractic out of hand.
It’s certainly a good idea to go to your PCP to figure out whether your issue is something that should be treated with chiropractic. There are some conditions where doctors specifically say that manipulation is not recommended while there are other situations where it could be beneficial. That said, I have problems with TMJ flares from time to time and did a round of PT about a year ago that focused on the neck, shoulders, and jaw. I am having issues a gain and probably need to get back to doing my exercises. The benefit of PT is that they should be able to teach you some skills to help you figure out how to get to the underlying cause of the muscle tension so you don’t continue to experience it.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:09 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
I've been dealing with some muscle tension on my neck and upper back for a couple of years now. I've been going to the Chiropractor for 3 months. They've been having me come in 3 days a week monthly. He wants me to see him for an entire year. He said he eventually may just have me come in once a month, but recently he adjusted my schedule to twice a week.

I have felt some relief and progress since I've been going.

However I plan to discontinue because I don't feel like I need to be going in as often as I'm going and I feel improvement. I also have other things going on with my health that's not Chiropractic related that I want to spend more time on.

Also this is a bit expensive and I want to start saving money. This is costing me $300.00 a month.

I called the clinic and told them I want to take a hiatus.

The girl said, "What do you mean? Is everything okay?"

I briefly told her it's been some things going on financially and what not.

She told me,

"I still want you to come to your appointment on Wednesday and I'll have you talk to one of the techs because I don't want you to just stop coming in. We can address the finances and work something out for you."

I agreed. I will go, but I still want to inform them that I want to take a break. Perhaps not indefinitely but for a period.

What do you guys think?

I worked for a company that sold therapeutic equipment for 10 years. or so.

I dreaded working at chiropractic conventions, the National was the worst. (Physical and occupational therapy, athletic trainers and medical were a snap. All of their continuing education programs were on procedures to help patients)

Chiropractic CE was always on practice building, keeping patients coming in, getting referrals, etc

There was one sub-group, the "Amway" of chiropractic (I really forgot it's name) that was truly only out to make money. Every seminar was building wealth and keeping patients like OP coming back for more

Call and cancel your appointment. The choice is yours, NOT ANYONE AT THE CLINICS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness