Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2022, 02:36 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times

Advertisements

Got the flu shot in October. Last week I tested positive for the flu. Prescribed tamiflu but took about 24 hours before I could get it due to shortages locally. Wife also got sick and so she too was prescribed tamiflu. Today was the first day I slept more than 5 hours with very little coughing from the gurgling in the throat and chest when exhaling. At one point my throat was so sore I was using warm salt water gargle 4 to 6 times a day. Our appetites have returned but our taste is still dulled from the sickness and medications (including many sore throat lozenges). We were told to get a D decongestant b(went with Claritin D) and Mucinex. Tried the 12 hour version of both but the Mucinex didn’t seem to help. Went back and got the Mucinex Fast-Max and that began to give us some relief. It’s going to be some time before I eat dry toast, saltine crackers, and canned soups again. We did have a homemade beef vegetable soup that was leftover in the freezer which was a welcomed change from canned. Hot herbal teas seemed to help as well since I didn’t add sugar nor cream. We got two humidifiers and slept in separate bedrooms. That way if one is able to sleep then the other won’t keep the sleeping person awake with coughing. The humidifiers really helped to get the stuff loose in the lungs. Once fully recovered I’m going to follow the owner’s manual instructions on sterilizing the humidifiers and put them back in the boxes for the next time we’re sick or the air gets too dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2022, 03:30 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Once fully recovered I’m going to follow the owner’s manual instructions on sterilizing the humidifiers and put them back in the boxes for the next time we’re sick or the air gets too dry.
Tips for humidifiers (I've used them a lot for years for myself or high humidity loving pets):

What type of humidifiers are they? There are three basic types:

Vaporizers (heats the reservoir water to boiling and a fan projects the steam into the room).

Evaporative (doesn't heat. Uses an absorbent wick saturated with water from the reservoir. A fan blows air through the wick out into the room)

Ultrasonic (doesn't heat the water. No wick. The machine's nebulizer vibrates at a very high speed that creates water droplets so fine they form a mist. A fan blows the mist out into the room)

Probably the most useful tip for all three types: Use distilled or ultrasonic water in the humidifier' reservoir. It is devoid of or only has tiny amounts of nutrients that promote growth of microorganisms. Typical potable tap water usually has some organic nutrients present, but they're not enough on their own to cause trouble.

A vaporizer sort of disinfects itself while it is hot enough to produce steam, but once it shuts off, the water sits warm for quite a while. This is when microorganisms can feed on the nutrients present in the water and multiply.

The wick of an evaporative type humidifier can absorb nutrients over time. Molds and bacteria can grow on the wick. Many wick designs are not washable or reusable so they need to be replaced. When you are finished using the humidifier, remove, wash, or toss the wick. Rinse the water reservoir as directed and make sure it's dry before storing.

The nice thing about an ultrasonic type is not needing to fuss with or replace a wick. The humidifier reservoir still needs rinsing periodically and before storing. If your water is hard, mineral deposits will build up on the nebulizer and other parts and will eventually damage the mechanism if not cleaned off. Rinsing with vinegar and/or a bleach solution will keep the unit clean. Check the owner's manual.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-03-2022 at 03:52 PM..

Old 12-06-2022, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Tips for humidifiers (I've used them a lot for years for myself or high humidity loving pets):

What type of humidifiers are they? There are three basic types:

Vaporizers (heats the reservoir water to boiling and a fan projects the steam into the room).

Evaporative (doesn't heat. Uses an absorbent wick saturated with water from the reservoir. A fan blows air through the wick out into the room)

Ultrasonic (doesn't heat the water. No wick. The machine's nebulizer vibrates at a very high speed that creates water droplets so fine they form a mist. A fan blows the mist out into the room)

Probably the most useful tip for all three types: Use distilled or ultrasonic water in the humidifier' reservoir. It is devoid of or only has tiny amounts of nutrients that promote growth of microorganisms. Typical potable tap water usually has some organic nutrients present, but they're not enough on their own to cause trouble.

A vaporizer sort of disinfects itself while it is hot enough to produce steam, but once it shuts off, the water sits warm for quite a while. This is when microorganisms can feed on the nutrients present in the water and multiply.

The wick of an evaporative type humidifier can absorb nutrients over time. Molds and bacteria can grow on the wick. Many wick designs are not washable or reusable so they need to be replaced. When you are finished using the humidifier, remove, wash, or toss the wick. Rinse the water reservoir as directed and make sure it's dry before storing.

The nice thing about an ultrasonic type is not needing to fuss with or replace a wick. The humidifier reservoir still needs rinsing periodically and before storing. If your water is hard, mineral deposits will build up on the nebulizer and other parts and will eventually damage the mechanism if not cleaned off. Rinsing with vinegar and/or a bleach solution will keep the unit clean. Check the owner's manual.
Both are Vic’s cool mist humidifiers. We didn’t want to spend the money on higher end brands and models for the occasional use. We live in south Louisiana so the dry winter periods aren’t long at all. Most of the winter, our home’s humidity levels are around 40% according to our thermostat. For a few weeks worth of days the humidity drops to around 30% but it’s never several weeks straight of dry weather.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:24 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,851,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Got the flu shot in October. Last week I tested positive for the flu. Prescribed tamiflu but took about 24 hours before I could get it due to shortages locally. Wife also got sick and so she too was prescribed tamiflu. Today was the first day I slept more than 5 hours with very little coughing from the gurgling in the throat and chest when exhaling. At one point my throat was so sore I was using warm salt water gargle 4 to 6 times a day. Our appetites have returned but our taste is still dulled from the sickness and medications (including many sore throat lozenges). We were told to get a D decongestant b(went with Claritin D) and Mucinex. Tried the 12 hour version of both but the Mucinex didn’t seem to help. Went back and got the Mucinex Fast-Max and that began to give us some relief. It’s going to be some time before I eat dry toast, saltine crackers, and canned soups again. We did have a homemade beef vegetable soup that was leftover in the freezer which was a welcomed change from canned. Hot herbal teas seemed to help as well since I didn’t add sugar nor cream. We got two humidifiers and slept in separate bedrooms. That way if one is able to sleep then the other won’t keep the sleeping person awake with coughing. The humidifiers really helped to get the stuff loose in the lungs. Once fully recovered I’m going to follow the owner’s manual instructions on sterilizing the humidifiers and put them back in the boxes for the next time we’re sick or the air gets too dry.
I didn’t even realize there is a test for the flu (or a prescription for it); it’s not on my radar. I only know I have felt lousy for a couple of days (and that it’s not covid, as I was tested for that). I’m confident I’ll be fine in a day or two (not sure if it’s a bad cold or the flu), but it perplexes me as to why folks appear to be making a big deal about the flu now. I don’t remember this in previous years.

I’m a healthy guy in my forties (and I don’t typically get colds and such very often, despite a fair amount of travel); hence, I didn’t get the flu shot (but I have had the covid vaccine). As a result, I’m just suffering through whatever it is for a couple of days (while staying home, working sporadically and staying away from my girlfriend). That said, I can understand wanting to know if it’s covid (and it isn’t); but why is it important to know if it’s the flu or a bad cold?

Old 12-06-2022, 08:13 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I didn’t even realize there is a test for the flu (or a prescription for it); it’s not on my radar. I only know I have felt lousy for a couple of days (and that it’s not covid, as I was tested for that). I’m confident I’ll be fine in a day or two (not sure if it’s a bad cold or the flu), but it perplexes me as to why folks appear to be making a big deal about the flu now. I don’t remember this in previous years.

I’m a healthy guy in my forties (and I don’t typically get colds and such very often, despite a fair amount of travel); hence, I didn’t get the flu shot (but I have had the covid vaccine). As a result, I’m just suffering through whatever it is for a couple of days (while staying home, working sporadically and staying away from my girlfriend). That said, I can understand wanting to know if it’s covid (and it isn’t); but why is it important to know if it’s the flu or a bad cold?
I always just figured that if a fever and body aches were involved, it was flu, and if it was just headache and respiratory symptoms, it was a cold.

I've also never had a flu shot, never been tested for flu and it's been more than 20 years since I "thought" I had it, but at this point it doesn't seem important to me to know for sure, either. I'm 53.

I suppose people want to be tested so they can get the Tamiflu prescription if they feel they are at high risk for complications. My dad died of pneumonia after getting the flu, but he was 94 and also had chronic leukemia, which of course lowered his immunity.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:41 PM

Ok, new issue. Coughing and congestion is almost totally gone. Yesterday evening I noticed the left side of my neck, just below the jaw, is swollen and firm. Also, my mouth is extremely dry. I wake with a dry sticky film in my mouth. May be a swollen lymph node but not sure if that is connected to the dry mouth. If this doesn’t clear up by Friday then I’m calling my family doctor. Also, I still have trouble talking. I though that would have cleared up by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness