Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 06:29 PM

4,865 posts, read 5,656,610 times

Advertisements

I’ve been on Amitriptyline (10 mg) for migraine prevention for over a year. I never noticed how tired it made me until recently. I pass out within 10-15 minutes after I take it. I sleep pretty well at night.

However…

At around 11 am I start feeling really tired. So much so that I HAVE to nap or I can’t function.
I work from home and have a flexible schedule…otherwise I’d be out of a job.

I saw my doctor in September to find out why I am always exhausted (I hadn’t realized it could have been the medication) and my blood work came back normal.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Did you switch medications? If so, what are you on right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 06:56 PM

10,951 posts, read 6,698,173 times
I once took Amitriptyline for shingles (back in 1984, before there was a shingles drug or vaccine). I slept for 36 hours straight except to sleep walk to the bathroom and back to bed.

I wouldn't take that drug. It's been shown to be one of the drugs that can cause dementia if taken long term. Don't let your doctor tell you otherwise. Do the research yourself. It's out there. I'm surprised your doctor didn't mention the drug as contributing to your exhaustion. Doctors have reasons not to talk you out of taking the drug.

I'm surmising that the drug is what is making you exhausted. I couldn't function on that drug, but it did knock me out so that I could take a breather from the shingles ordeal for 36 hours.

"Anticholinergics for depression, such as amitriptyline, dosulepin, and paroxetine, have previously been linked to higher risk of dementia, even when they were used up to 20 years beforehand. Apr 26, 2018"
These common drugs may raise your risk for dementia:
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...s%20beforehand.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:05 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,534,989 times
Amitriptyline is also prescribed for insomnia - because it puts people to sleep within a half hour or so.

And it is safer than insomnia drugs like Ambien or Lunesta - which can be addicting.

So for some or many people who just cannot sleep any other way Amitriptyline or Trazodone are prescribed.

Amitriptyline is an old-fashioned anti-depressant which is not prescribed for depression these days.

Last edited by matisse12; 12-06-2022 at 01:19 AM..

Old 12-06-2022, 04:07 AM

7,134 posts, read 4,965,795 times
1) All drugs can have side effects...Most people who take any given drug don't have noticeable side effects. If you get side effects from a drug, you must evaluate how well it works vs the side efects, then decide if you want to keep on taking it. Eg- chemo- agents often cause severe anemia...Do you want to live with a low RBC count or die with a normal RBC count?

b) The nervous system is set up kinda like driving with one foot on the brake and the other on the accellerator. How fast you go depends on how hard you're pressing on each pedal...

Eg- amphetamines tend to speed people up, but hyperactive kids, who are already"driving" with pedal-to-the-metal (can't go any faster) slow down when the pill "activates the brake pedal."...Narcotics show the same thing-- most people get lethargic (hence the name from Narcos- god of sleep) but a sizeable minority feel energized by narcotics.

Same with drugs that influence serotonin levels, like anti-depressants (amitryptiline)....And, some people drink alcohol and become the Life of the Party-- They start with low serotonin and the alc raises it...Others drink alcohol and fall asleep. They started with hi serotonin levels and alc lowered them....probably a genetic difference in metabolism.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:13 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,581,067 times
Unfortunately people tend not to stay on most preventives for migraines because they cause side effects. I took amitriptyline for a while and it actually made my sleep worse as it seemed to worsen my teeth clenching at night and increased my resting heart rate by something like 15-20bpm.

I have tried most of the options for migraines. Right now I am on Effexor, tizanidine (which is for both clenching and migraines) and a beta blocker. I am also on Nurtec but I don’t need to use it that often. I cannot take Imitrex and I had bad luck with Ubrelvy. The main issue with the beta blocker seems to be weight gain but I don’t know if it is any different than amitriptyline, which also caused weight gain.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:37 AM

About 15 years ago I was acquainted with a young woman in her 30's who had terrible migraines. She found a doctor who put her on hormones and it seemed to help some. I lost touch with her so I don't know how it turned out long term. I recall she mentioned something about migraines becoming intolerable around the time of her period and that's why the doctor put her on hormones.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:09 AM

3,151 posts, read 3,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
About 15 years ago I was acquainted with a young woman in her 30's who had terrible migraines. She found a doctor who put her on hormones and it seemed to help some. I lost touch with her so I don't know how it turned out long term. I recall she mentioned something about migraines becoming intolerable around the time of her period and that's why the doctor put her on hormones.
Once I was done with menopause my migraines decreased by about 90% and my neurologist said they obviously were hormonal related.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:15 AM

Interesting. I'm glad it worked out. Seems like something to investigate with an endocrinologist.

I'm trying to take as few drugs as possible, both scrip and OTC. Those articles about long-term use is enough to cause many people to seek alternatives. I have chronic pain due to interstitial cystitis. The only thing that works is an opioid, and thankfully it doesn't happen that often, but it's still "long term use."

How about acupuncture? I swear by it. It works for many people. I wish that I could afford it. I'd be going regularly for a couple different conditions (respiratory and the interstitial cystitis). A good acupuncturist does not cause pain. I've been to several, only one caused pain - it was a student intern at a training institute.
Is acupuncture effective for migraines?
The frequency of headache is dropped by 50% or more in up to 59% of individuals receiving acupuncture and this effect can persist for more than 6 months. Jul 25, 2017
The role of acupuncture in the treatment of migraine:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3291665/

Old 12-06-2022, 10:51 AM

310 posts, read 318,406 times
I take the maximum dose for my peripheral neuropathy. I take it at night. It took quite a while to get used to it, but now I have zero side effects from it.

Old 12-06-2022, 05:02 PM

21,540 posts, read 12,611,395 times
Seems they're issuing that dementia warning for EVERY sleep aid including OTC medications like doxylamine and supplements like melatonin. I need my sleep and will take my chances.

As for "old-fashioned antidepressants," I don't know that they're not being prescribed anymore, but you'd probably have to request them, as the default is the newer SSRIs. Personally, I'd trust a tricyclic over those any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness