Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2022, 05:11 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,752,206 times

Advertisements

Do any CD seniors with muscolo-skeletal or arthritis pain feel less pain out West with less humidity than you would feel in a state with weather like NY for example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2022, 05:26 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
You bet. I've been on Celebrex ever since I moved to Alabama. I spent 5 weeks in California where I'm from, last spring. I forgot to take the Celebrex, being so busy with family and friends, and my dogs. I suddenly realized that I hadn't taken them in about 2 weeks. Didn't need them. And that was in Long Beach, next to the ocean. That's how different the weather is out there. It's just drier, even by the ocean. I also have family inland about 30 miles, and of course it's even drier there. I've never needed Celebrex anywhere but the SE. I've lived in Arizona and New Mexico. Didn't need "arthritis" pills!

Old 12-31-2022, 05:29 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times
My guess, from the fortunate position of not suffering (yet) from this kind of pain, is a stable, warm climate would be best.

I've noticed with my siblings that weather changes in AK tend to cause flare ups. Also, the body tends to be more stiff with colder temps, making it more likely to aggravate old injuries.

Old 12-31-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
You bet. I've been on Celebrex ever since I moved to Alabama. I spent 5 weeks in California where I'm from, last spring. I forgot to take the Celebrex, being so busy with family and friends, and my dogs. I suddenly realized that I hadn't taken them in about 2 weeks. Didn't need them. And that was in Long Beach, next to the ocean. That's how different the weather is out there. It's just drier, even by the ocean. I also have family inland about 30 miles, and of course it's even drier there. I've never needed Celebrex anywhere but the SE. I've lived in Arizona and New Mexico. Didn't need "arthritis" pills!
Several years back a doctor gave me a script for a big dose of Celebrex but I never took them after reading about possible side effects of heart trouble. I told another doctor and he was shocked I was given such a big dose and who knows, if I took it I might have had a heart attack from it and be on the other side of the dirt now. NSAIDS don't agree with me, I took prescription ibuprofen and developed a canker sore on my gum and ever since I have to be careful about not making my mouth too acidic or it flares up again. Once I took Aleve and my eyes swelled up. I stick to Tylenol and pain creams and sprays now.

Anyway, I live in NY but have been to San Diego about four times, and i've been in Huntington Beach, Hollywood, Newport Beach, and other popular locations in Ca...and I don't think the heat there felt different to me than the NY heat, except when I was at the Temecula wineries, but that's closer to the desert I think. My cousin said that San Diego had gotten more humid since she moved there in the 70's. I have the opportunity to go to San Diego and stay in North County if I want to, so I was wondering if I should think about it if I would be in less pain out there than I am now.

Last edited by wp169; 12-31-2022 at 06:50 PM..

Old 01-02-2023, 01:18 AM

7,265 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
My guess, from the fortunate position of not suffering (yet) from this kind of pain, is a stable, warm climate would be best.

I've noticed with my siblings that weather changes in AK tend to cause flare ups. Also, the body tends to be more stiff with colder temps, making it more likely to aggravate old injuries.
The latest theory is that there is a small amount of air in our joints, and that popping sound on certain movements (like cracking your knuckles) is from the sudden expulsion of that air... Ergo, air pressure changes affect the air pressure in the joints, and therefore, the pain stimulus in our joints.....Areas that have more frequent and more severe changes in air pressure see more frequent and severe weather systems pass thru, so people tend to suffer with their arthritis more....Areas like the American SW have warmer, drier climates because they see more high pressure/stable pressure for longer periods....

...Then, add in the point that warm joints have more supple ligaments than cold joints (that's why athletes "warm up" before playing hard) and you'll see that it's warmer and more stable air pressure that counts for joint pain relief.

BTW- in regards NSAIDS & heart attacks--The research actually showed that the "dangerous" ones were not worse than placebo, but the good ones (ASA, for example) were better than placebo for preventing heart attacks...But the lawyers can't make any money off that, so they perverted the science to fit their needs. Not the first time by any means.

Old 01-02-2023, 07:03 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Several years back a doctor gave me a script for a big dose of Celebrex but I never took them after reading about possible side effects of heart trouble. I told another doctor and he was shocked I was given such a big dose and who knows, if I took it I might have had a heart attack from it and be on the other side of the dirt now. NSAIDS don't agree with me, I took prescription ibuprofen and developed a canker sore on my gum and ever since I have to be careful about not making my mouth too acidic or it flares up again. Once I took Aleve and my eyes swelled up. I stick to Tylenol and pain creams and sprays now.

Anyway, I live in NY but have been to San Diego about four times, and I've been in Huntington Beach, Hollywood, Newport Beach, and other popular locations in CA... and I don't think the heat there felt different to me than the NY heat, except when I was at the Temecula wineries, but that's closer to the desert I think. My cousin said that San Diego had gotten more humid since she moved there in the 70's. I have the opportunity to go to San Diego and stay in North County if I want to, so I was wondering if I should think about it if I would be in less pain out there than I am now.
When I left Marin County fairly close to the heavily treed coast and spent 2 years in the San Diego area (1999-2001), mostly about 8-20 miles inland the humidity was 19 percent. I remember being shocked since San Diego is close to the coast, but it's close to desert therefore the difference.

I rebuffed Celebrex 5 years ago after being told - erroneously - that I had "severe" osteoporosis. I do not. The levels were low, but not severe. (I did not care for the doctor, he was arrogant and argued with me about what medication I should take for my lungs-one that doesn't work. I suspect that he was perhaps looking for a pharma kickback on the Celebrex.) However, after moving to the humid SE, I had to start taking it. Fortunately, I don't have negative side effects. I decided that living without pain was worth the risk. However, at one point years ago I vowed to never take it. After moving back out West I doubt I will have to keep taking it.

Old 01-02-2023, 04:01 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
OP I've been to Florida during their humid seasons and thought I'd die, also in some central areas of the US, AR to MN, in their humid seasons and thought I'd die, then went back to AZ and thought I was in heaven with relief from the low humidity. And the warmer the weather the better the feeling.
My MRI showed severe arthritis in my whole body, especially hands, spine and lower back joints. Doc suggested "Tylenol 600 for Arthritis" and it works wonders over the Celebrex which is bad for the kidney's and other organs.

Old 01-02-2023, 06:13 PM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
I've lived in Florida for over 46 years, and notice the arthritis pain when there is a weather front coming in, ie, probably changes in atmospheric pressure causing those aches and pains. Exercise sometimes aggrevates the bursitis I get in my shoulders and left hip.

Aleve has always been a very effective arthritic pain reliever for me, but I've had to swear off it due to its likely causing gastric ulcers even when I followed instructions for taking it ( not exceeding dosage limits, taking only on a full stomach). Also taking Eliquis now so this could enhance any bleeding tendencies so shouldn't take both.

I find 650 mg acetominophen arthritis formulation helps with the arthritis pain, not as well as Aleve but somewhat effective. I try and take it regularly to maintain a blood level, being careful not to exceed the daily maximum dosages. I also take chondroitin sulfate/glucosamine tablets, these seem to help some as well.

Old 01-09-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I've lived in Florida for over 46 years, and notice the arthritis pain when there is a weather front coming in, ie, probably changes in atmospheric pressure causing those aches and pains. Exercise sometimes aggrevates the bursitis I get in my shoulders and left hip.

Aleve has always been a very effective arthritic pain reliever for me, but I've had to swear off it due to its likely causing gastric ulcers even when I followed instructions for taking it ( not exceeding dosage limits, taking only on a full stomach). Also taking Eliquis now so this could enhance any bleeding tendencies so shouldn't take both.

I find 650 mg acetominophen arthritis formulation helps with the arthritis pain, not as well as Aleve but somewhat effective. I try and take it regularly to maintain a blood level, being careful not to exceed the daily maximum dosages. I also take chondroitin sulfate/glucosamine tablets, these seem to help some as well.
My 92 year old neighbor takes Tylenol-arthritis and says it helps. My 92 year old mom who was on warfarin could only take 1200 mgs of extra-strength Tylenol daily but it didn't help her pain, she couldn't take anti-inflammatories with warfarin. One day she strained herself going to the bathroom and broke a pelvic muscle and passed away from internal bleeding from the warfarin. Be careful when taking blood thinners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness