Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2023, 09:06 AM

10,571 posts, read 7,781,727 times

Advertisements

I've noticed my pulse rate increases somewhat when lying on right side/shoulder at night, a disincentive for sleeping in this position. I haven't quantified the difference, it's just a casual observation.

Anyone else experience something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 10:00 AM

17,545 posts, read 39,166,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I've noticed my pulse rate increases somewhat when lying on right side/shoulder at night, a disincentive for sleeping in this position. I haven't quantified the difference, it's just a casual observation.

Anyone else experience something like this?
That has happened to me many times. Sleeping on your left side is what I have read is the best.

Old 01-05-2023, 02:18 PM

23,335 posts, read 18,903,694 times
You may find this interesting:

https://www.healthline.com/health/sl...-bad-for-heart

I'm almost exclusively a side sleeper and have noticed some differences. I've always had a bit of arrhythmia (SVT) that is getting more frequent and noticeable with age, so I've been paying more attention to what seems to influence episodes. Purely anecdotally, right side is my preferred more restful side. Maybe its habitual, but I can't stay comfortable as long on the left.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-05-2023 at 03:34 PM..

Old 01-05-2023, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You may find this interesting:

https://www.healthline.com/health/sl...-bad-for-heart

I'm almost exclusively a side sleeper and have noticed some differences. I've always had a bit of arrhythmia (SVT) that is getting more frequent and noticeable with age, so I've been paying more attention to what seems to influence episodes. Purely anecdotally, right side is my preferred more restful side. Maybe its habitual, but I can't stay comfortable as long on the left.
Thanks. Yes, my wife was familiar with the potential problem for sleeping on the left side.

I had PSVT from about age 20-40. It began to get worse as I got older, with episodes occurring more frequently and lasting for hours. No fun.

So, I had the catheter ablation procedure. It was definitely worth it in my case. Now, I only get very brief episodes of a couple seconds or so once in awhile.

Old 01-05-2023, 05:07 PM

23,335 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Thanks. Yes, my wife was familiar with the potential problem for sleeping on the left side.

I had PSVT from about age 20-40. It began to get worse as I got older, with episodes occurring more frequently and lasting for hours. No fun.

So, I had the catheter ablation procedure. It was definitely worth it in my case. Now, I only get very brief episodes of a couple seconds or so once in awhile.
Hopefully I can avoid that. Mine is congenital...this or that GP over the years commented on it despite few triggers. Hasn't been a problem until recently. After ruling out the other potential causes for my arterial thrombosis/heart attack in 2019 and an A-fib episode, this was probably the culprit. I don't have cardiovascular, lung or thyroid disease, no high BP, diabetes, never smoked, don't drink, no drugs, etc. Wearing a Zio patch for 2 weeks revealed just how frequently this was going on. In some ways, ignorance was bliss.

Old 01-05-2023, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hopefully I can avoid that. Mine is congenital...this or that GP over the years commented on it despite few triggers. Hasn't been a problem until recently. After ruling out the other potential causes for my arterial thrombosis/heart attack in 2019 and an A-fib episode, this was probably the culprit. I don't have cardiovascular, lung or thyroid disease, no high BP, diabetes, never smoked, don't drink, no drugs, etc. Wearing a Zio patch for 2 weeks revealed just how frequently this was going on. In some ways, ignorance was bliss.
Aren't they all congenital? Typically it doesn't show up until early adulthood though.

Your episodes must be of short duration, thankfully. When they last several minutes or more it's kind of difficult to miss. Now the standard procedure is to freeze the extraneous tissue rather than burn it away, or so I hear. It's not a big deal, in and out of the hospital in one day.

Thanks to your link I believe the mystery has been solved. Lying on my right side compresses the vena cava, causing heart rate to rise. Oh well, fortunately I'm comfortable sleeping on my back. Left side is also OK, despite some rotator cuff issues. My wife can't sleep on her bad shoulder at all.

Old 01-06-2023, 02:49 AM

7,273 posts, read 5,154,617 times
Heart rate is affected by venous return to the heart. Venous return is increased when you take a breathe (increasing neagtive pressure in the chest sucks in air, but also more blood), so HR has to go up a little so blood doesn't build up in the heart....Your jheart is hung like a water balloon in your chest, so it flops around depending on your position-- another source of variable venous return.

"Sinus arrythmia"-- the waxing and waning of HR with respiratory cycle-- is common and obvoius in little kids, but much more subtle and less noticeable in adults.

This is not to be confused with the various forms of PSVT which have to do with re-entrant conduction pathways in the heart and more common with aging and CAD.

Old 01-06-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

This is not to be confused with the various forms of PSVT which have to do with re-entrant conduction pathways in the heart and more common with aging and CAD.
That's interesting. I wasn't aware this condition more commonly develops in older people.

Waxing and waning of HR with respiratory cycle is also good info. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness