Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 05:40 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
Food sensitivities are not allergies.

Sensitivity = IgG. Allergy = IgE antibodies.

Allergies can be tested via a skin scratch test and are relatively immediate. We all know if we have allergies (I, like you, have none).

Sensitivities are a different beast, they take 3 or so days to materialize and symptoms are systemic, ranging from skin outbreaks, joint pain, and feeling tired and fatigued.

I took a food sensitivity test, I have very little food sensitivities, and all are graded 1 to 2, which is minimal. The average person has at least a few that are graded 3 to 4.

But, one of them that surprised me was sesame seeds. I loved sesame seeds and sesame seed oil. I experimented cutting this out, and I noticed less outbreaks on my skin. As in tune as I'm with my body, without that test I never picked up on sesames being a culprit.

Yes, I know, that is why I included that food sensitivity tests are not medically approved as accurate.

I have joint pain because I have psoriatic arthritis, and that stuff ain't cause by food. Though poor diet can make it worse.

Many that have it so aggressive are crippled, chair bond, and have lost a good portion of use of hands.

After a decade I have none of that. I'm super active and fit, with no noticeable deformities in my joints. Exercise is super important to maintaining health with this. I can hurt like heck to do it, but it stops the progression.

But the OP's condition is unrelated to this. So I will stop hijacking.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 06:06 AM

7,268 posts, read 5,147,374 times
There is pain- a spinal cord reflex, and then there is suffering-- your cerebrally mediated, emotional interpretation of the pain. Don't conduse the two. A placebo won't slow down your knee jerk reaction when the doc hits your knee with his hammer....Just about all new pills for pain work the first week or two--until reality sets in. The placebo effect is very real and very strong, making it very difficult to prove that any given treatment "really" works. (Ultimately, who cares?...as long as it gives relief.)

NSAIDS reduce inflammation, so the pain improves when it's caused by inflammation. But if the reduced pain allows you to exercise the inflammed part more, it may cause more inflammation & pain in the long run. Pain tells you you're doing something you shouldn't be doing.

I'm old to enough to have treated pts with fulminent pulmonary edema (acute CHF) in the ER with such barbaric techniques as rotating tourniquets and phlebotomy. We used to also use the caveman tactic of injecting morphine, which has a beneficial effect on cardiovascular parameters of preload- & afterload.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:56 AM

574 posts, read 268,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, I know, that is why I included that food sensitivity tests are not medically approved as accurate.

I have joint pain because I have psoriatic arthritis, and that stuff ain't cause by food. Though poor diet can make it worse.

Many that have it so aggressive are crippled, chair bond, and have lost a good portion of use of hands.

After a decade I have none of that. I'm super active and fit, with no noticeable deformities in my joints. Exercise is super important to maintaining health with this. I can hurt like heck to do it, but it stops the progression.

But the OP's condition is unrelated to this. So I will stop hijacking.
Yeah, not to hijack this more but I want to point out medical guidelines are more wrong than they're right, and often change with the wind. I don't know your age, but I assume you're old enough to remember how often these guidelines change.

I find their objection to food sensitivity tests to be spurious. Food sensitivity tests don't lead you to taking any medications you don't need, just experimenting with removing certain foods. If you don't feel better, then you can reintroduce. Novak Djokovic did a food sensitivity test, cut out certain foods, and went from a top 10 tennis player to #1 basically within 1 year.

Unlike the tests they do which often leads to medications and false positives.

Old 02-20-2023, 01:15 PM

7,621 posts, read 3,265,767 times
[quote=Mikala43;64900030]I know I'm not allergic to anything. My diet work best for my health when I INCLUDE as many nutrient dense foods as possible. I normally eat 10-15 fruits/veggies a day, next comes who grains, then meat and dairy.

So I DO agree with Wile E. Before they had all these "inflammatory food to avoid", like tomatoes, I think things like gluten were on the list, but when I look now none of that is showing up, which is great, because it was bunk. I do know if I eat lots of healthy, nutrient dense food, I feel good, if I eat unhealthy I feel bad. Because I had lots of blood work done every 3 months, I could see the direct results of my diet.

So Wile E, I owe you an apology!

For me, it's auto immune problems, and that ain't going to change by eating some magic combination of foods. I've tried just juicing (ugh, can't looked at a juiced vegetable years later), keto, no gluten for years

Yeah, I agree it's more of a whole foods versus processed foods issue. I also know that arthritis is a disease process. However, I do feel a lot better with whole foods and plenty of sleep than I would otherwise. Sleep may be the #1 contributor to feeling better overall (because at my age my body needs to recover every single day and it cannot do that without proper sleep).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness