Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2023, 03:09 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,536,322 times

Advertisements

[I'm not sure if this is the right subforum, but I didn't find any others that looked better for it.]

As you may have heard, there is a shortage of Adderall and other controlled substance stimulants used to treat ADHD, apparently with the exception of Vyvanse, which is still under patent and therefore exorbitantly expensive. This shortage has the DEA's fingerprints all over it. The short version of the story is that Adderall scripts have spiked during the pandemic, but the DEA is refusing to raise the manufacturing quota. Therefore, people like myself, who were already on prescriptions since long before, can't get our medication now.

But I didn't open this thread just to bit** and moan.

What I'm curious about is the distribution of responsibility when it comes to the regulation of drugs. In this country, the DEA sets the quotas, i.e. the amounts of controlled substances that may be manufactured and distributed legally, in addition to apparently having wide regulatory latitude in adding new substances to the control schedules, or in some cases decontrolling others. While it makes sense that some government agency would determine the manufacturing quotas, it seems odd that the DEA should be the ones to do it. Does it work the same way in most other countries? Does the main drug enforcement agency have any role in determining what should be regulated, controlled, or prohibited? Does it also set the quotas for legal manufacture and distribution quotas? Or does some other agency do it, like the NHS in the UK or the FDA in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 06:14 AM

5,849 posts, read 6,221,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Or does some other agency do it, like the NHS in the UK or the FDA in the US?
Even above and beyond what is done WRT manufacturing, access downstream to opioids and other controlled substances is managed differently in different states by how difficult (or not) those states make it for prescribers. Some states allow (or used to allow) simple written prescriptions, but now most states require electronic prescriptions only, and those must be authenticated by multiple steps by the prescriber.

Additionally, pharmacies play a role in managing how many pills they will fill, and sometimes even fill a lower quantity than the prescriber has written for (apparently, Walmarts here in Texas are notorious for this).

So there are a lot of checks and balances, some worthwhile, some probably unnecessarily onerous.

Old 02-06-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Additionally, pharmacies play a role in managing how many pills they will fill, and sometimes even fill a lower quantity than the prescriber has written for (apparently, Walmarts here in Texas are notorious for this).

So there are a lot of checks and balances, some worthwhile, some probably unnecessarily onerous.
i can foresee some unintended consequences coming. For instance, because of what's happening now, once ADHD becomes available again, many ADHD patients will cut their doses and start hoarding pills, so as to have a reserve supply for any future shortage. These reserve supplies of stimulants will be ripe for diversion. I'm not saying most patients would sell their drugs illegally, but there's always the risk that a few will, or their kids, or their kids' friends. Similarly if the kids themselves are the patients.

IMHO the DEA should focus their efforts on meth cookers, and those who manufacture fake Adderall laced with Fentanyl.

Old 02-06-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:
once ADHD becomes available again
I meant, once Adderall becomes available again.

Do we all see what just happened here?

Old 02-07-2023, 12:12 AM

23,913 posts, read 33,731,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
[I'm not sure if this is the right subforum, but I didn't find any others that looked better for it.]

As you may have heard, there is a shortage of Adderall and other controlled substance stimulants used to treat ADHD, apparently with the exception of Vyvanse, which is still under patent and therefore exorbitantly expensive. This shortage has the DEA's fingerprints all over it. The short version of the story is that Adderall scripts have spiked during the pandemic, but the DEA is refusing to raise the manufacturing quota. Therefore, people like myself, who were already on prescriptions since long before, can't get our medication now.

But I didn't open this thread just to bit** and moan.

What I'm curious about is the distribution of responsibility when it comes to the regulation of drugs. In this country, the DEA sets the quotas, i.e. the amounts of controlled substances that may be manufactured and distributed legally, in addition to apparently having wide regulatory latitude in adding new substances to the control schedules, or in some cases decontrolling others. While it makes sense that some government agency would determine the manufacturing quotas, it seems odd that the DEA should be the ones to do it. Does it work the same way in most other countries? Does the main drug enforcement agency have any role in determining what should be regulated, controlled, or prohibited? Does it also set the quotas for legal manufacture and distribution quotas? Or does some other agency do it, like the NHS in the UK or the FDA in the US?

It sucks, the DEA has held up Adderall and narcotic pain meds every few years. My daughter takes Adderall too. Her script is about two weeks over due. I believe her doctor changed her dose last month from three 20mg to two 30mg which she was able to find in stock, I suggest others try doing that.

I've noticed a huge increase in opioid related news articles the last 6 weeks, about how there are new prescribing laws, with other articles pushing medications like suboxone to get people off of narcotics like oxycontin and percocets. It will not surprise me if meds like Adderall will be the topic of articles like narcotics are.

I can't count how many people I know who have gotten kicked out of pain management for stupid things. These are older people who have a twenty year history with no blemishes. One day they will be seeing another doctor or NP because their main one is booked up, the new doctor will make comments such as you should be on so and so medications for your type of pain. They may also comment on the dose the person takes saying it's a lot of medication; even though they have been on that same dose for 10+ years, and it is what other people with chronic pain take.

I know people who were kicked out after their tox screen came back positive for narcotics that were used in a surgery they had, they even gave the doctor operative notes like their pain doctor told them to do.

I know others who were short a day or two of meds who got called in for a pill count, then kicked out.

It would not surprise me if less and less controlled meds will be released in order to force people to find other things like medical pot instead.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

It would not surprise me if less and less controlled meds will be released in order to force people to find other things like medical pot instead.
Supposedly some cannabis strains are good for ADHD, but I'm skeptical. I'm absolutely not anti-pot but I can't see taking it every day, the way I would take stimulants if I had them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness