Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times

Advertisements

Is it normal for some people to get severe, debilitating headaches when they haven't eaten in awhile?

I'm a diet controlled, Type 2 diabetic. I lost about 30 pounds, stopped drinking soda, my A1c dropped to normal range within months, and I was taken off metformin and have been off for about 3 years...A1c still within normal range

However, at time of diagnosis, my A1c was over 13 and my Blood Glucose was 500+....so obviously I do (or did????) have some issue with insulin resistance

Well, back to the latest episode. I ate a turkey burger, broccoli, and a banana about 8 PM last night. I didn't eat again until noon today. I know that's somewhat quite a while but I feel like it wasnt THAT big of a gap in time to cause a severe headache....or was it?

I've read that low blood sugar is the most common cause of a "Hunger Headache" but once when this happened before, I checked my blood sugar and it was around 90....that's not really that lowe, correct?

I'm just concerned if this is normal or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 12:11 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Can't really comment on your situation directly as I am not diabetic. Some of my headaches could probably be traced back to not eating all day but consider that the true trigger for those might be more connected to dehydration. I do know that diabetics can get dehydrated more easily. Did you do anything to replace lost fluids/electrolytes during that 16 hours OP?

I know I get dehydration headaches and they're often migraine intensity. As soon as I feel one coming on I make a point of drinking a good amount of non caffeinated liquid and it usually resolves pretty quickly. While caffeine can relieve a migraine because it acts as a vasoconstrictor, it can also make dehydration worse.

https://www.healthline.com/health/hu...eadache#causes

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-14-2023 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-14-2023, 07:43 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Not eating for 16 hours when you have known health issues that involve your diet is - not smart.

Also yeah the dehydration headache is a real thing.

Old 04-15-2023, 02:45 PM

9,866 posts, read 4,641,933 times

I know I get dehydration headaches and they're often migraine intensity. As soon as I feel one coming on I make a point of drinking a good amount of non caffeinated liquid and it usually resolves pretty quickly. While caffeine can relieve a migraine because it acts as a vasoconstrictor, it can also make dehydration worse.

https://www.healthline.com/health/hu...eadache#causes[/quote]

Dehydration can do it for me. Along with some foods and odors or combination. Sometimes caffeine helps and others yeh it doesn't. I guess it what's actually in one's system at the time.

Old 04-16-2023, 10:56 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Try testing your blood-sugar the next time you have a severe headache that you feel is
possibly associated with not eating for an extended period.

Old 04-17-2023, 01:32 AM

7,256 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Is it normal for some people to get severe, debilitating headaches when they haven't eaten in awhile?

I'm a diet controlled, Type 2 diabetic....
Hypoglycermia can cause generalized headaches- not usually "debillitating."...It can also trigger migraine-- if you have a history of migraine.

Without a history of migraine, I'd recommend getting it checked out, if the headaches are all that severe. It could be something more sinister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness