Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 02:38 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,591,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In my research I found that 5 or fewer episodes per hour is considered "normal"

I kinda noticed that at first as well, but since there was a conversation going decided it was unimportant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 10:00 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
What's the cause of his sleep apnea, and why aren't you just encouraging him to use it? It's very important, especially if he is having heart issues.

I have severe apnea. I'm not overweight, per my ENT my tongue is a bit too big for my mouth (insert jokes here).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-17-2023, 12:36 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
While this has been implied, I haven't seen it stated clearly:

Encourage your friend to USE the CPAP as he continues his journey of weight loss. It's possible (as many have noted) that even with weight loss, the apnea will still need treatment.

Many people with untreated sleep apnea have died from heart problems because they aren't breathing properly.

Old 05-17-2023, 12:44 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
He's still in the middle of being evaluated whether he needs a CPAP or not, but he is willing to use it if necessary. Thanks to all.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:27 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In my research I found that 5 or fewer episodes per hour is considered "normal"
Yes it’s normal but you missed the part that my oxygen level drops too low so the doctor said I will need it for life. Plus my BP goes up and I feel awful without it.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:51 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Some folks swear by sleeping on their sides to combat sleep apnea. To get used to it they have a tennis ball attached (somehow, not clear how) so they wake up if they roll over on their backs. Has side sleeping ever worked for anyone?
Did nothing for me...only the CPap has ever helped me...

Old 05-19-2023, 08:21 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Did nothing for me...only the CPap has ever helped me...

Try stomach. It makes it much harder for apnea to happen because gravity.

Old 05-19-2023, 02:10 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Try stomach. It makes it much harder for apnea to happen because gravity.
For that matter, sleeping in a sitting position would also work. One suggestion I've seen is to prop one's self up in bed with a small mountain of pillows.

For myself, I can't seem to sleep in any one position for more than a few hours; I'm waking up at least three times at night to switch positions (left side, right side, back). And yes, that's while using a CPAP.

Old 05-21-2023, 11:03 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Yes it’s normal but you missed the part that my oxygen level drops too low so the doctor said I will need it for life. Plus my BP goes up and I feel awful without it.
No, I didn't miss it. I was just letting people know what is considered normal in terms of events. It surprised me.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:34 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
I had a sleep study a few weeks ago. Waiting for the results. I know that I do have it, but sleeping slightly reclined has helped a lot. The mask that was used for this sleep study in 2023 was much better than the one used when I had a sleep study done in 2012. I could not tolerate the one prescribed in 2012, but I believe that I could well tolerate the one used in the recent study. The sleep tech actually gave it to me for use when I receive the unit. (Of course, as a backup since the unit will come with a hose/mask.)

Not all people with sleep apnea are obese, far from it. I am not obese; I have other lifelong health issues that caused the sleep apnea. I likely had sleep apnea before it became a "thing." <(I know some people don't like that term, oh well!)

I'll be curious to see whether that extra 20 lbs I've gained in the past 18 months can be helped with this new mask. I think I'm going to be able to tolerate it - at least for a while. *Fingers crossed* I only used the other mask for 2 nights and said screw it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness