Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 12:26 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,658,433 times

Advertisements

Had one many years ago and another recent one that will require an MRI (shoulder) and am concerned. Just wondering how many others have been hurt in falls, and how long did it take you to recover from them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 01:53 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Had one many years ago and another recent one that will require an MRI (shoulder) and am concerned. Just wondering how many others have been hurt in falls, and how long did it take you to recover from them?
Giving some definitions here would make sense. Injury. Surgery. Recovery. "Injury" could be anything from bruised dignity, scraped elbows, to a mangled rotator cuff or fractured hip. If I had a nickel for every fall that resulted in an "injury" I'd be a millionaire!

What do you consider "surgical repair"? A minor incision and stitches? A THR? Offhand I'd say I've only had two falls that required surgical repairs. They were completely different. One healed in about a week. The other 6 weeks which is normally about how long it takes bone to knit.

A close friend of mine needed surgery to repair torn ligaments in her shoulder due to falling off a bike. Recovery took longer than 6 weeks!

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-29-2023 at 02:28 PM..

Old 05-29-2023, 03:51 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Well, I broke my left patella (knee cap) falling off my bike last September. Had surgery late October. It may take me up to two years to recover fully, assuming that I ever do. This is a terrible injury (worst bone one can break) I have been told, and it is true. I live with discomfort daily, not too mention I can't do ANY of the things I used to love to do.

So I would say it depends on what you break when you fall, your age, health etc.

Old 05-29-2023, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Giving some definitions here would make sense. Injury. Surgery. Recovery. "Injury" could be anything from bruised dignity, scraped elbows, to a mangled rotator cuff or fractured hip. If I had a nickel for every fall that resulted in an "injury" I'd be a millionaire!

What do you consider "surgical repair"? A minor incision and stitches? A THR? Offhand I'd say I've only had two falls that required surgical repairs. They were completely different. One healed in about a week. The other 6 weeks which is normally about how long it takes bone to knit.

A close friend of mine needed surgery to repair torn ligaments in her shoulder due to falling off a bike. Recovery took longer than 6 weeks!
Surgical for things like torn cartliage, torn rotator cuffs, torn ligaments, badly broken bones requiring pinning, and so forth. Concerned I tore cartliage again in a freak fall and want to fix it and rehab as soon as possible!

Old 05-29-2023, 07:25 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
I broke my left wrist and knocked it an inch away from where it was supposed to be and also shattered my right elbow into pieces. Surgery for both ran nearly 7 hours. Took a good 8 weeks to be able to drive, but months of therapy. 2 1/2 years later my wrist is great and happy with my elbow, even though I'll never have full movement again. That's okay.

Old 05-29-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I broke my left wrist and knocked it an inch away from where it was supposed to be and also shattered my right elbow into pieces. Surgery for both ran nearly 7 hours. Took a good 8 weeks to be able to drive, but months of therapy. 2 1/2 years later my wrist is great and happy with my elbow, even though I'll never have full movement again. That's okay.
Yikes...I also had a hairline break of left arm and navicular wrist break falling off a skateboard after hitting a crack in pavement many years ago...stopped skateboarding (you will eventually get hurt) and took up less risky sports after that. Glad you recovered!

Old 05-30-2023, 03:40 AM

881 posts, read 766,084 times
I fell on my elbow trying to roller blade 30 years ago. I had to have surgery to put it back together.

Old 05-30-2023, 06:12 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Knock on wood, I haven't had such a fall, but my late husband fell and shattered his kneecap. He had two surgeries to try to repair it but they were ultimately unsuccessful, and he never walked again.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:04 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
"Requiring" surgery is often debatable. My mom had "required" surgery that lead to her demise, sadly. Ask questions, get opinions, don't let the failed medical system of endless surgeries for profit be your only guide. Good luck.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:54 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
My last fall that required surgery was when I snapped my clavicle and it took well over 3 months before I was able to bear pressure on that side.

DH fell in February of this year. He broke his ankle, chipped a bone in his foot and has a bone bruise (I had never heard of a bone bruise before).

He had 2 pins placed and is still unable to bear weight on on his feet. Unfortunately, this has prevented us from going to our grandchildren's birthdays and we also missed our eldest granddaughters h.s. graduation this past Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness