Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 07:30 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
Never. . . . I use natural methods of pain relief instead. For example, Organic Virgin Coconut Oil is a wonderful natural anti-inflammatory . . . as is MSM, as well! Whole Leaf White Willow Bark works very well for some things, & is much safer than Aspirin (which causes bleeding in the stomach with each dose).

The following website shares people's experiences with several more natural options, as well:

Chronic Pain Remedies
https://www.earthclinic.com/cures/pain.html
The so called natural remedies are not as effective or as safe as the OTC medications that contain the same substances. The "natural" remedies have no controls on dosing or purity. I like to know what I'm getting, not risk someone's guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2023, 11:35 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I usually wait until it is obvious that a bad pain is not going to resolve within a week.

I had an old nerve injury flare-up really badly and I used both topical and oral
pain-relievers/NSAIDS.

It was either medicate or be totally miserable with pain.

Old 06-17-2023, 06:22 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Like someone else said, if I feel what appears to be a migraine I will take an Excederin Migraine pill immediately. I've had migraines knock me out and make me vomit.

I've also had joint issues with my knees, so bad last year I could barely walk. It took me awhile but I finally broke down and took ibuprofen and it really helped.

I also get issues with really achy legs that is a low grade ache but it won't let me sleep. For that 200mg ibuprofen. Only happens once a year at best.

I do athletics so I'm usually always sore somewhere but the above are really the only things I take pills for.

I had a couple of surgeries where they prescribed me oxy and I never took it, just tylenol.

Old 04-06-2024, 06:14 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I found this thread and am posting this question (hope someone sees it because it's a new question.)

Like the OP to some extent, I usually never take any pain meds. Thank God I never need to.
But apparently I've strained my back REALLY badly. (Went to urgent care and ER, in horrible pain.
Lower left side rear. Kidney stones, blood clots ruled out.)

They sent me home still in pain doubled over ..... with 600 mg ibuprofen. (every 6 hours)

Well, talking to friends, who unfortunately to to their own experiences are my go-to friend experts on pain medications....both said 600 mg of ibuprofen is nothing, that won't do anything for excruciating pain. They both asked: that's all he gave you?

The pain hit me Thursday morning at 9a....went to UC/ER Friday morning -all day.
And I'm still in the same pain -- after more than 24 hours on the 600mg ibuprofen -- AND 500 Tylenol (rotating.

They gave me a little Toradol in the ER. Since then I've taken:
4:30p thur 1,000 mg Tylenol at ER before I left
7:30p thur 600 ibuprofen.....11:30p 600 ibuprofen
9 a. Fri 600 ibuprofen...12 noon, 500 Tylenol, 3p. 600 ibuprofen, 6p, mistakenly took 600 ibupr
ibuprofen again instead of the Tylenol....

...only now at 8p Fri is the pain a TEENY bit better. It's still excruciating.

So that has me agreeing with my friends....that 600 mg of ibuprofen and 500 Tylenol are like nothing.

The ER doc said this could day weeks to improve. IF I'm still in pain this bad come back or call my doctor Monday. UGH.

So why do I hear about people taking 1200mg at a time?!

Old 04-06-2024, 09:31 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I found this thread and am posting this question (hope someone sees it because it's a new question.)

Like the OP to some extent, I usually never take any pain meds. Thank God I never need to.
But apparently I've strained my back REALLY badly. (Went to urgent care and ER, in horrible pain.
Lower left side rear. Kidney stones, blood clots ruled out.)

They sent me home still in pain doubled over ..... with 600 mg ibuprofen. (every 6 hours)

Well, talking to friends, who unfortunately to to their own experiences are my go-to friend experts on pain medications....both said 600 mg of ibuprofen is nothing, that won't do anything for excruciating pain. They both asked: that's all he gave you?

The pain hit me Thursday morning at 9a....went to UC/ER Friday morning -all day.
And I'm still in the same pain -- after more than 24 hours on the 600mg ibuprofen -- AND 500 Tylenol (rotating.

They gave me a little Toradol in the ER. Since then I've taken:
4:30p thur 1,000 mg Tylenol at ER before I left
7:30p thur 600 ibuprofen.....11:30p 600 ibuprofen
9 a. Fri 600 ibuprofen...12 noon, 500 Tylenol, 3p. 600 ibuprofen, 6p, mistakenly took 600 ibupr
ibuprofen again instead of the Tylenol....

...only now at 8p Fri is the pain a TEENY bit better. It's still excruciating.

So that has me agreeing with my friends....that 600 mg of ibuprofen and 500 Tylenol are like nothing.

The ER doc said this could day weeks to improve. IF I'm still in pain this bad come back or call my doctor Monday. UGH.

So why do I hear about people taking 1200mg at a time?!
600mg is not much honestly, I was prescribed that for cramps in my teens (wasn't OTC back then). Try to contact the place the gave you the 600 and ask why they prescribed that particular med (I guess some pain relieves work better for some pains than others) and if you can take more (or something else). There may be a reason why they did what they did.

Old 04-06-2024, 09:57 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
To answer the OP, I think this depends on the person, their condition, age, and what's ailing them.

I avoid OTC pain meds unless I know it will absolutely have a positive result to improve an acute problem (eg: menstrual cramps, toothache, severe lingering headache). I don't take them regularly, and the bottle of ibuprofen in my first aid kit expired a couple years ago...that's how often I use them.

I interpret pains & aches as the body's way of saying something is wrong. I don't want to mask that pain, I want to fix the source of the problem.

I don't get headaches often, but when I do I find the best solution is to stop what I'm doing, go home, and rest. Dark room, no noise, no stimulation, etc. It will pass. I've had toothaches that have ruined my daily existence. I've been through childbirth, and tooth pain is worse. Sometimes ibuprofen is the best way to cope until you can see a dentist to fix the problem.

Old 04-07-2024, 09:50 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I never take OTC meds. There are too many potential side effects, and some of them are pretty nasty when you read the teeny tiny print on the bottles. I stick to a prescription pain killer if that's needed.

Well, I do take benadryl for sinus issues, but even something like that can have some pretty serious side effects. I'm going to look at herbal sleep aids as a replacement though because they have a much wider dosage range before you start to get into side effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness