Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2023, 08:18 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm76 View Post
How often are those weekends, how many you smoke and is it easy to quit again?

I ask because I started smoking (occasional smoker) when I was 19 and quit when I was 22, started again a few months later and quit cold turkey and for good two years later when I was 24 and haven't smoked since... that was 22 years ago. Two years after I quit, I almost started back, but stopped myself... the next several years I never wanted to smoke, but over the last few months I want to smoke a cigarette and cannot figure out why. I have always however been around 2nd hand smoke as my dad is a smoker and I am often with him in the workshop, etc., and I am around a lot of other smokers, so maybe it is like I really never quit if I have still been breathing in the smoke all these years?

I actually went out last weekend and bought a pack of smokes, the brand I smoked back then... I smelled of it and thought how good it smelled... even put it in my mouth and wanted to light it so bad. I didn't have a lighter or I would have. lol. I still have the pack but haven't lit one up (yet). I came close tonight (even bought a lighter) and started doing a search and ran across this to get someone to tell me go get it over with and smoke one and stop beating myself up and deal with quitting again or not even think about lighting up again. I am wondering if I light one up and I done for, or will I be able to quit easily again after a pack or two? I just want to see what it was like because I do not remember anything about smoking when I did it all those years ago. I do not want to become a regular smoker again... just a pack or two until Thanksgiving then quit for good but can I? lol.
Why do you want to smoke a pack or two until Thanksgiving? That doesn't make sense.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 08:52 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Why do you want to smoke a pack or two until Thanksgiving? That doesn't make sense.
If it was cheap again i would start back up.

Old 09-30-2023, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
If it was cheap again i would start back up.
Why?

Old 09-30-2023, 07:20 PM

8 posts, read 2,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I started smoking in my early 20s when I joined the military because those who smoked got additional breaks, lol. It then became a social thing and then I decided that I enjoyed it and just started smoking whenever. When I was about 28 I decided it wasnt for me anymore and I quit cold turkey without issue. That was almost 20 years ago and though I have an occasional cigar, the only time I ever smoke cigarettes is during my yearly guys weekend. After those weekends, I am quickly reminded of why I quit in the first place.
Quote:
I know. I just didn't want smoking to ruin my holiday. Starting again at all really doesn't make any sense, but I did last night. I didn't even like it. Definitely not going to get back into the habit.

Old 09-30-2023, 07:23 PM

8 posts, read 2,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
When you quit cigarettes there is just 1 rule you must follow...N.O.P.E. - not one puff ever.
Good advice, but I like an idiot I went ahead and smoked one last night. Like I said I had not smoked in 22 years, BUT had been around 2nd hand smoke almost daily. I didn't cough at all, but I did get lightheaded. I smoked another this evening, again, no cough and but lightheaded and didn't feel well afterward. Definitely not a habit I am taking up again. I just had this craving for so long... it has come and gone for years, but now stronger than it had ever been. I didn't remember what it was like smoking, but it obviously all came back last night. I just had to bite the bullet to see what it was I felt like I thought I needed. I feel better knowing I do not like it. lol.

I have a friend that smokes. I am going to give the rest of these to him. I am done.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:27 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Why?
I loved it.

Old 10-01-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I loved it.
So did I and it would only take a few cigs for me to be hooked again. Not gonna happen to me.

Old 10-01-2023, 11:52 AM

5,010 posts, read 592,987 times
Quote:
...I loved it
Quote:
...So did I
I also enjoyed smoking...But nicotine is such a highly addictive substance it's scary. It produces pleasing effects in your brain, but these effects are temporary. So you reach for another cigarette. The more you smoke, the more nicotine you need to feel good. Quitting is hard because you experience unpleasant symptoms of withdrawal - mental and physical changes.

I was a heavy smoker for 50+ years...and gosh, darn it, am I ever proud of myself now.

Old 10-01-2023, 11:55 AM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
I find it interesting that OP never came back to this thread, or any other thread (or post)

Old 10-01-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
I also enjoyed smoking...But nicotine is such a highly addictive substance it's scary. It produces pleasing effects in your brain, but these effects are temporary. So you reach for another cigarette. The more you smoke, the more nicotine you need to feel good. Quitting is hard because you experience unpleasant symptoms of withdrawal - mental and physical changes.

I was a heavy smoker for 50+ years...and gosh, darn it, am I ever proud of myself now.
Congrats! I quit 17 years ago and still get the odd craving now and then, nicotine is very addictive! I found a help forum back then and about 5 of us cheered each other on. Three of us still keep in touch now on FB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness