Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 04:43 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
So did I and it would only take a few cigs for me to be hooked again. Not gonna happen to me.
Same here unless prices go back to 1988 levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2023, 04:44 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
I also enjoyed smoking...But nicotine is such a highly addictive substance it's scary. It produces pleasing effects in your brain, but these effects are temporary. So you reach for another cigarette. The more you smoke, the more nicotine you need to feel good. Quitting is hard because you experience unpleasant symptoms of withdrawal - mental and physical changes.

I was a heavy smoker for 50+ years...and gosh, darn it, am I ever proud of myself now.
It sure screwed up my sleeping when i stopped smoking in 2014.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:55 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,763,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm76 View Post
How often are those weekends, how many you smoke and is it easy to quit again?

I ask because I started smoking (occasional smoker) when I was 19 and quit when I was 22, started again a few months later and quit cold turkey and for good two years later when I was 24 and haven't smoked since... that was 22 years ago. Two years after I quit, I almost started back, but stopped myself... the next several years I never wanted to smoke, but over the last few months I want to smoke a cigarette and cannot figure out why. I have always however been around 2nd hand smoke as my dad is a smoker and I am often with him in the workshop, etc., and I am around a lot of other smokers, so maybe it is like I really never quit if I have still been breathing in the smoke all these years?

I actually went out last weekend and bought a pack of smokes, the brand I smoked back then... I smelled of it and thought how good it smelled... even put it in my mouth and wanted to light it so bad. I didn't have a lighter or I would have. lol. I still have the pack but haven't lit one up (yet). I came close tonight (even bought a lighter) and started doing a search and ran across this to get someone to tell me go get it over with and smoke one and stop beating myself up and deal with quitting again or not even think about lighting up again. I am wondering if I light one up and I done for, or will I be able to quit easily again after a pack or two? I just want to see what it was like because I do not remember anything about smoking when I did it all those years ago. I do not want to become a regular smoker again... just a pack or two until Thanksgiving then quit for good but can I? lol.
Its literally one weekend a month and after that weekend I have no urges to pick up another until the following year. I do occasionally smoke cigars as well though but the word occasionally is key, otherwise they are not enjoyable. This past weekend I smoked one on Saturday and then decided to smoke another on Sunday and I had to throw it out. My body is a little strange when it comes to addiction, it just doesnt happen. For me, I think its easy to quit something that you truly want to, but very difficult to do just because others want you to.

Old 10-04-2023, 04:36 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
I almost started in late 30's. I've probably had around 100-150 cigarettes total, but haven't had one in months. When it comes to cravings, doing something "just once" will lead to stronger cravings going forward. That's how the human dopamine system works, so for me, it's best to avoid them entirely.

My nervous system was already sympathetic dominant back then. The last thing I needed was another stimulant. Always felt like crap after smoking so it was easier to give it up entirely before it became an addiction.

Old 10-09-2023, 07:42 PM

1,198 posts, read 662,253 times
I started smoking at age 25 in 1997 and quit at 34 in 2006. I do not miss smoking whatsoever. But when I did smoke I smoked almost two packs a day.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:39 PM

2,532 posts, read 1,866,746 times
Cigarettes, yes. Weed, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness