Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 04:43 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I think that’s been proven, it’s definitely the case with alcoholism.

I don’t know what it’s like in the rest of the country, ..... thanks to opioid addiction paranoia....

Its everywhere. Everyone is a victim of the paranoia now. I know people who won't take a single pain killer no matter the pain, for fear of addiction.

Its crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2023, 07:49 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Again…necessitates a hospital visit, good luck with that. Take Percocet at home, pass stone. Done. I also had to pass a stone on a long flight. Try writhing around in your seat & trying to walk around on a plane these days, because if you have passed a stone, you know it is impossible to sit still & be quiet
I'm used to the kidney stone pain, since I've passed 10 or so. The last time I passed a stone, I passed 2 at the same time, one was 8mm in diameter and disk shaped. I didn't even know I was passing them until I had the burning sensation that happens when they are in the bladder. I had zero pain as they went down the ureter.

In any case, I don't take opioids for kidney stones, as they don't work. I won't take Percocet, as it's oxycodone with Tylenol(acetaminophen) and won't have any effect for me.

Old 08-12-2023, 08:24 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I've taken them and never experienced a high.
I was prescribed oxycodone post major dental surgery. It did absolutely nothing for me, so I switched to over the counter Motrin, which worked like a charm.

Old 08-13-2023, 12:10 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I feel for ya, buddy. I've had 3. Writhing around on the floor indeed! Mine was life or death as sepsis had set in. Mine got blasted apart by laser, but I did have to pass a few pieces and that was excruciating. DH said he had never heard me scream like that. Luckily that was only once.

For the 2-hour drive to the hospital, the urgent care gave me a morphine drip to bear the pain and I will say that was a great feeling.

I had that happen as well. That time I didn’t have pain, thought I had the flu, spouse realized something was very wrong when I couldn’t speak and had fever of 105F & climbing, so off to ER & yep, sepsis. Kidney stone was stuck in ureter, had lithotripsy with stent in urethra, was told I could return to work the next day! Hahaha, no. The hose up the urethra did not make the fragmented stone passage pain-free & I was grateful for the hydrocodone to get me through the week before the stent got pulled out.

But, I’m guessing some posters here think that you & I should have “sucked up” our pain without the evil opioids.

Last edited by CalWorth; 08-13-2023 at 12:23 AM..

Old 08-13-2023, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I cannot imagine a more horrible experience. But why were you on the flight in the first place if in such pain ?
Uh, did it occur to you that I was asymptomatic BEFORE I got on the flight?? Do you not understand that people get on a plane, or other public transportation & **** happens mid-trip???

Old 08-13-2023, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I'm used to the kidney stone pain, since I've passed 10 or so. The last time I passed a stone, I passed 2 at the same time, one was 8mm in diameter and disk shaped. I didn't even know I was passing them until I had the burning sensation that happens when they are in the bladder. I had zero pain as they went down the ureter.

In any case, I don't take opioids for kidney stones, as they don't work. I won't take Percocet, as it's oxycodone with Tylenol(acetaminophen) and won't have any effect for me.

I don’t believe you. Or you can consider yourself a superior human being or even a Marvel superhero. And the hospice should have given my sister just a Tylenol instead of evil opioids after her cancer spread to her liver, bones & brain, she should have been tougher as she was dying. I’m done.

Last edited by CalWorth; 08-13-2023 at 12:31 AM..

Old 08-13-2023, 01:57 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Uh, did it occur to you that I was asymptomatic BEFORE I got on the flight?? Do you not understand that people get on a plane, or other public transportation & **** happens mid-trip???
Studies have shown that frequent use of opioids not only builds some tolerance to the drug until it stops working (go to any hospice care and you’ll find patients dying shaking in pain despite being on 100mg morphine/hour IV drip) it also makes you more pain intolerant: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2019070817024

You live in a country that prescribes opioids far more promiscuously than any other peer nation. Think about that for a moment when you complain it’s super hard to get opioids here

Last edited by toosie; 08-13-2023 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: Stirring the pot

Old 08-13-2023, 05:16 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endorphins
Endorphins are released from the pituitary gland, typically in response to pain, and can act in both the central nervous system (CNS) and the peripheral nervous system (PNS). In the PNS, β-endorphin is the primary endorphin released from the pituitary gland. Endorphins inhibit transmission of pain signals by binding μ-receptors of peripheral nerves, which block their release of neurotransmitter substance P. The mechanism in the CNS is similar but works by blocking a different neurotransmitter: gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)*. In turn, inhibition of GABA increases the production and release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with reward learning.
(*GABA enrichment of rice, by sprouting, may interest some. )
The most highly touted nutrient that is doubled or even magnified ten times in germinated brown rice is an amino acid called gamma-aminobutyric acid or GABA for short. Note: sprouted brown rice can have a powerful odor, hence the nickname "stinky rice."
GABA rice - http://www.instructables.com/id/HOWT...ed-brown-rice/

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...itions-wisdom/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiods
Opioids are substances that act on opioid receptors to produce morphine-like effects. Medically they are primarily used for pain relief, including anesthesia. Other medical uses include suppression of diarrhea, replacement therapy for opioid use disorder, reversing opioid overdose, and suppressing cough. Extremely potent opioids such as carfentanil are approved only for veterinary use. Opioids are also frequently used non-medically for their euphoric effects or to prevent withdrawal. Opioids can cause death and have been used for executions in the United States.

Side effects of opioids may include itchiness, sedation, nausea, respiratory depression, constipation, and euphoria. Long-term use can cause tolerance, meaning that increased doses are required to achieve the same effect, and physical dependence, meaning that abruptly discontinuing the drug leads to unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.
Opioid-peptides that are produced in the body include:
  • Endorphins
  • Enkephalins
  • Dynorphins
  • Endomorphins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid_use_disorder
Opioid use disorder (OUD) is a substance use disorder characterized by cravings for opioids, continued use despite physical and/or psychological deterioration, increased tolerance with use, and withdrawal symptoms after discontinuing opioids. Opioid withdrawal symptoms include nausea, muscle aches, diarrhea, trouble sleeping, agitation, and a low mood. Addiction and dependence are important components of opioid use disorder.

Addiction is a brain disorder characterized by compulsive drug use despite adverse consequences. It is a component of substance use disorder and its most severe form.

Overexpression of the gene transcription factor ΔFosB in the nucleus accumbens plays a crucial role in the development of an addiction to opioids and other addictive drugs by sensitizing drug reward and amplifying compulsive drug-seeking behavior. Like other addictive drugs, overuse of opioids leads to increased ΔFosB expression in the nucleus accumbens. Opioids affect dopamine neurotransmission in the nucleus accumbens via the disinhibition of dopaminergic pathways as a result of inhibiting the GABA-based projections to the ventral tegmental area (VTA) from the rostromedial tegmental nucleus (RMTg), which negatively modulate dopamine neurotransmission. In other words, opioids inhibit the projections from the RMTg to the VTA, which in turn disinhibits the dopaminergic pathways that project from the VTA to the nucleus accumbens and elsewhere in the brain.

The differences in the genetic regions encoding the dopamine receptors for each individual may help to elucidate part of the risk for opioid addiction and general substance abuse.
In plainer Inglitch, some brains can't deal with the discrepancy in response between natural and chemical stimulants, and often become dependent upon the external source, once the internal mechanisms shut down, in response to the over stimulus by the external drug intake.

ADDICTION IS NOT A CHARACTER WEAKNESS.

Old 08-13-2023, 07:46 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endorphins
Endorphins are released from the pituitary gland, typically in response to pain, and can act in both the central nervous system (CNS) and the peripheral nervous system (PNS). In the PNS, β-endorphin is the primary endorphin released from the pituitary gland. Endorphins inhibit transmission of pain signals by binding μ-receptors of peripheral nerves, which block their release of neurotransmitter substance P. The mechanism in the CNS is similar but works by blocking a different neurotransmitter: gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)*. In turn, inhibition of GABA increases the production and release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with reward learning.
(*GABA enrichment of rice, by sprouting, may interest some. )
The most highly touted nutrient that is doubled or even magnified ten times in germinated brown rice is an amino acid called gamma-aminobutyric acid or GABA for short. Note: sprouted brown rice can have a powerful odor, hence the nickname "stinky rice."
GABA rice - http://www.instructables.com/id/HOWT...ed-brown-rice/

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...itions-wisdom/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiods
Opioids are substances that act on opioid receptors to produce morphine-like effects. Medically they are primarily used for pain relief, including anesthesia. Other medical uses include suppression of diarrhea, replacement therapy for opioid use disorder, reversing opioid overdose, and suppressing cough. Extremely potent opioids such as carfentanil are approved only for veterinary use. Opioids are also frequently used non-medically for their euphoric effects or to prevent withdrawal. Opioids can cause death and have been used for executions in the United States.

Side effects of opioids may include itchiness, sedation, nausea, respiratory depression, constipation, and euphoria. Long-term use can cause tolerance, meaning that increased doses are required to achieve the same effect, and physical dependence, meaning that abruptly discontinuing the drug leads to unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.
Opioid-peptides that are produced in the body include:
  • Endorphins
  • Enkephalins
  • Dynorphins
  • Endomorphins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid_use_disorder
Opioid use disorder (OUD) is a substance use disorder characterized by cravings for opioids, continued use despite physical and/or psychological deterioration, increased tolerance with use, and withdrawal symptoms after discontinuing opioids. Opioid withdrawal symptoms include nausea, muscle aches, diarrhea, trouble sleeping, agitation, and a low mood. Addiction and dependence are important components of opioid use disorder.

Addiction is a brain disorder characterized by compulsive drug use despite adverse consequences. It is a component of substance use disorder and its most severe form.

Overexpression of the gene transcription factor ΔFosB in the nucleus accumbens plays a crucial role in the development of an addiction to opioids and other addictive drugs by sensitizing drug reward and amplifying compulsive drug-seeking behavior. Like other addictive drugs, overuse of opioids leads to increased ΔFosB expression in the nucleus accumbens. Opioids affect dopamine neurotransmission in the nucleus accumbens via the disinhibition of dopaminergic pathways as a result of inhibiting the GABA-based projections to the ventral tegmental area (VTA) from the rostromedial tegmental nucleus (RMTg), which negatively modulate dopamine neurotransmission. In other words, opioids inhibit the projections from the RMTg to the VTA, which in turn disinhibits the dopaminergic pathways that project from the VTA to the nucleus accumbens and elsewhere in the brain.

The differences in the genetic regions encoding the dopamine receptors for each individual may help to elucidate part of the risk for opioid addiction and general substance abuse.
In plainer Inglitch, some brains can't deal with the discrepancy in response between natural and chemical stimulants, and often become dependent upon the external source, once the internal mechanisms shut down, in response to the over stimulus by the external drug intake.

ADDICTION IS NOT A CHARACTER WEAKNESS.

If you look long and hard enough, everything we do as humans has some basis in genetics and biology and that doesn't make it a disease. You can attack the strawman of "character weakness" (notice you are the only one who has said that?) but the fact remains: if a person stops taking them before they get addicted, they don't get addicted. This may be easier for some and much more difficult for others, but it's still a choice and a decision and everyone has it within their power to not take the next pill before they get addicted.

Last edited by Deserterer; 08-13-2023 at 08:55 AM..

Old 08-14-2023, 11:31 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I agree with one of the poster when she said the pain med is a "pleasant feeling", I had never thought to use that word, but after reading all the comments here, I think it is the right word. I feel pleasant, not high, not crazy, just a pleasant feeling.

I don't get high from it at all, and the pill only lasts about 4 hours. If it is moderate pain and I know the work day is nearing a close, I don't even bother, but it is the first thing I do when I get up at 5am every morning, is pop that pill along with the nausea pill, and as I have my coffee, I know that exactly 12 minutes later, I will feel the change in my thoughts. I have been on them for over 5 years now... hope to one day not be on them.

I just finished watching the netflix series called "Pain Killer" excellent series for those that haven't seen it, it is only 7 episoide's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness