Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 10:55 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times

Advertisements

AKA sciatic nerve pain. I have found the true reason for heated car seats in the middle of summer. I never was a hot tub person until this year. I have a real fear of any surgery of the spine. I've found surgeons to be the most arrogant group of doctors, with ortho being the worst of the bunch. The most relief I have had since May is when I was put on the Medrol Dosepak, I was wired, but pain-free.

Before I go beg for a cortisone shot, what has worked for those that have dealt with this? I am fairly new to this pain - I've been using heat (a lot) and trying to keep moving. I'm not obese, but in acknowledging I can stand to lose a few pounds, I've lost about 10 - 10 more and I will be at my ideal weight.

Any ideas for me to try (or buy) - I'm close to desperate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2023, 11:18 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,624 times
A physical therapist can take you through stretching and ROM which can help. Also, a TENS unit is often helpful in reducing pain.

Try experimenting with heat and ice and see what works best for you.

I hope that you are able to find relief.

Old 08-16-2023, 11:51 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
AKA sciatic nerve pain. I have found the true reason for heated car seats in the middle of summer. I never was a hot tub person until this year. I have a real fear of any surgery of the spine. I've found surgeons to be the most arrogant group of doctors, with ortho being the worst of the bunch. The most relief I have had since May is when I was put on the Medrol Dosepak, I was wired, but pain-free.

Before I go beg for a cortisone shot, what has worked for those that have dealt with this? I am fairly new to this pain - I've been using heat (a lot) and trying to keep moving. I'm not obese, but in acknowledging I can stand to lose a few pounds, I've lost about 10 - 10 more and I will be at my ideal weight.

Any ideas for me to try (or buy) - I'm close to desperate?
There are many non-narcotic pain medications. NSAIDs may be what you need.

Old 08-16-2023, 03:06 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Stretching is my go-to when sciatica starts in my hip area. My DO showed me the right stretch for where I have the problem.

When it starts I try to sit "better", so my alignment is correct, both feet on floor, not leaning to either side, and do lots of stretches.

If you have insurance, I would ask for physical therapy.

NSAIDs do nothing for me and the nerve pain, but I think it depends on where your problem is, and what is causing it.

My BIL went through all the physical therapy, was taking gabapentin and it was doing little for him. He just had surgery where they drilled out the hole the nerves come through (not technical explanation) and he feels tons better.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-17-2023, 07:57 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times
I live on NSAIDs, rotate the ones I take. I think they are taking off the edge. I have a call into the doctor for PT orders. I was contemplating one of those inversion stands, where you hang upside down, which pulls the spine up.

I know what set this off - I've had 3 surgeries this year where I was knocked out. The first surgery I was in stirrups, no issues what-so-ever. However, the next two surgeries (breast), 3 weeks apart, both times I came out with back pain. I mentioned it to the OR nurse that my back hurt the last time and was told "we take great care to position you." The surgery after that comment was the worst. I feel like they took my right leg and hooked it around the back of my neck. Great care, my a$$. Think I'll start asking for stirrups, regardless of surgical location.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:01 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
Although I did end up having surgery for my back pain, I have since discovered that stretching (Yoga) is a great way to alleviate some of the pain. I still have pain every now and again, and discovered that some of the stretches my physical therapist had given me, were very similar to some yoga poses. Additionally, some of the other yoga poses help to tone other muscle groups that help relieve back pain.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:01 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,657,325 times
I have sciatic pain, especially in the ass. I received two cortisone shots on each side of the nerve and was prescribed Cymbalta (anti-anxiety meds have been found to work on nerve pain). Most of the time I am pain free. I also went for PT and do stretching exercise.

Old 08-17-2023, 10:08 AM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Also, a TENS unit is often helpful in reducing pain.
Yes!
About 30 years ago, my SIL was prescribed a TENS device by her doctor, and it gave her fairly good relief from pain prior to having Spinal Fusion surgery. IIRC, it cost a few hundred $$ back in those days. Nowadays, one can easily obtain a very effective TENS device w/o the need for an Rx, and many of them cost only $60... or less.

Old 08-17-2023, 06:03 PM

2,022 posts, read 979,083 times
is there a chance is your piriformis? Even if not, stretches for that would help.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:20 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
I used to suffer from similar pain and nothing worked. (chiropractors, MDs, drugs, etc).

All my pain ended with lifestyle changes: dropped weight, cut carbs, increased activity, etc. If I was going to do it all over, I would have cut carbs first, because that automatically drops the weight and increases activity.

I remember my first back pain visit with an MD and he told me about a study where 1/3 of the patients went chiropractic, 1/3 went to a medical doctor (usually drugs), and 1/3 did nothing. The outcomes were statistically insignificant, so he told me to "do whatever feels right".

Unfortunately, he didn't recommend to cut carbs, because that would have done it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness