Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 05:02 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Its very rude to the patients when you have to wait for hours after your appointment time.
Again, that seems like a you (and/or your doctor) issue; I've never had to wait HOURS for a scheduled appointment. NEVER. And I'm not a young'un.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
The total time is probably less then the amount people wait in the waiting room for their appointment.
You reaaalllly have a bone to pick about this, don't you? What happened? Seriously... this seems like an odd obsession, and definitely one that isn't as common or serious for most folks.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-24-2023 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
Again, it's not the confirmation so much, but the cancellation that is the issue if you do not confirm. Is this common? I think not.
Actually, yes. It's quite common these days, especially since the pandemic (possibly because we all got a little flakier). And when someone says "please confirm," most people would assume that meant you MUST confirm... if you were planning to meet a friend for dinner and texted "please confirm we're meeting at this time and place," then they didn't respond, would you still assume they were coming? I wouldn't.

Old 08-24-2023, 05:06 PM

1,212 posts, read 539,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I had a dental appointment yesterday. I received a text when I made the appointment then several reminder texts not requiring a response. A text that requested a response came the day before the appointment. I did not respond because I was in a meeting and got called later in the day, at which point I did confirm.

On the day of the appointment I got a call that the dentist was sick and did I want to just get my cleaning with no exam by the doc. I agreed to do that, as I am having no issues. They also asked if I could move my appointment up an hour. No problem.

Turns out the dentist probably has a kidney stone. Ouch!

Refusing to confirm appointments seems petty to me.
Hygienists have to work under the supervision of a doctor, who has to be on site.

I don't agree with this - I think hygienists should be allowed to have their own, independent private practices, but the dentists will never give up the control, as it increases their income.

Your hygienist was probably working illegally on you - lol

Old 08-24-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
All the confirmation requests I get (phone message, text, email) give me the option to opt out. None of them require me to respond by speaking to a live person. The most inconvenient response is returning a phone call and leaving a message but even that could be done 24/7. These days, most of the time I can simply send a text or 3 word email "I'll be there!". I am all for helping my provider keep their operating costs down. That can be passed on to me a little bit. Frankly, I just don't see what the big deal is. The sooner I confirm the quicker the knicker-wad-inducing messages stop!
Most of mine (the dentist and veterinarian both do this now) just require clicking on a link to confirm. That's literally it! Really no excuse, not even with OP and his wife being elderly... I work with seniors every day, and most are perfectly capable of using a phone or tablet. In fact they're usually the ones who don't use "silent" mode, and keep the volume up quite loud; therefore cannot possibly miss a call or text. lol

Old 08-24-2023, 06:10 PM

37,121 posts, read 41,309,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Hygienists have to work under the supervision of a doctor, who has to be on site.

I don't agree with this - I think hygienists should be allowed to have their own, independent private practices, but the dentists will never give up the control, as it increases their income.

Your hygienist was probably working illegally on you - lol
It is OK in Georgia.

https://news.gsu.edu/2017/05/31/new-...-hygiene-care/

Old 08-24-2023, 07:08 PM

1,212 posts, read 539,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That's fantastic!

I doubt you live in Georgia, but happy for them because more people will have access and their health will be improved.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:08 PM

37,121 posts, read 41,309,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
That's fantastic!

I doubt you live in Georgia, but happy for them because more people will have access and their health will be improved.
Born and reared in Georgia and have lived here all my life: 75 + years.

Why would I choose GA law if I did not live here? It's in my profile and location at the top of every post I have made here.

Old 08-24-2023, 11:12 PM

843 posts, read 566,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Sorry for all your difficulties, but once you bring out the "sheeple" argument, you've lost any credibility in the discussion.
OK, OK, maybe the sheep picture was over the top. I did enjoy using the Frank Zappa song lyric though. I thought that was fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Has all along IMO.
Sigh. I've been fighting the crowd here. A large number of people have taken the easy route and just attacked and insulted us for not responding to the requests to confirm. Because it's "SO EASY".

It's not good enough to make an appointment and show up for it anymore. If you don't confirm, your appointment will be cancelled. Another thing you gotta make sure you do. Get ready for this to become the norm.

Well, I am out of credibility anyway - so LATER. I'm out. I got all of the answers I was looking for. 118 posts was a good run. I got nothin else. Enjoy confirming!

I'll leave you with another Zappa quote:

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 08-24-2023 at 11:40 PM..

Old 08-25-2023, 05:18 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,021,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Again, that seems like a you (and/or your doctor) issue; I've never had to wait HOURS for a scheduled appointment. NEVER. And I'm not a young'un.

You reaaalllly have a bone to pick about this, don't you? What happened? Seriously... this seems like an odd obsession, and definitely one that isn't as common or serious for most folks.
Then you are very very very lucky. There are literally forums and websites dedicated to this stuff and about the doctors who are the worse about it.

Old 08-25-2023, 06:15 AM

9,467 posts, read 5,242,150 times
I say yes to confirm (via text that they send me). If I can't make an appointment, I call and cancel. What is so difficult about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness