Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 06:26 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Once doctors start being on time for appointments or not changing them to a different date and time when you show up for your scheduled appointment, that is when I will agree with you.
In the past few years, I have seen 2 different dentists and they were very good about short waits. Doctors can be very different…..but it depends on the specialty. My dermatologist is also very good. The orthopedic surgeon is awful, but they see so many patients with injuries that the practice is less predictable. If confirming can help us all have shorter wait times, my feeling is get with the program!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 06:35 AM

841 posts, read 552,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Hygienists have to work under the supervision of a doctor, who has to be on site.

I don't agree with this - I think hygienists should be allowed to have their own, independent private practices, but the dentists will never give up the control, as it increases their income.

Your hygienist was probably working illegally on you - lol
It's fine in Texas, as well, in most cases, although they could not be an independent practice on their own.

SUBCHAPTER D. PRACTICE BY LICENSE HOLDER

Sec. 262.151. DELEGATION OF DUTIES BY DENTIST. (a) A licensed dentist may delegate orally or in writing a service, task, or procedure to a dental hygienist who is under the supervision and responsibility of the dentist, if:

(1) the dental hygienist is licensed to perform the service, task, or procedure;

(2) the supervising dentist examines the patient:

(A) at the time the service, task, or procedure is performed by the dental hygienist; or

(B) during the 12 calendar months preceding the date of performance of the service, task, or procedure by the dental hygienist; and

(3) the dental hygienist does not:

(A) diagnose a dental disease or ailment;

(B) prescribe a treatment or a regimen;

(C) prescribe, order, or dispense medication; or

(D) perform any procedure that is irreversible or involves the intentional cutting of soft or hard tissue by any means.

(b) A licensed dentist may delegate to a dental hygienist any act that a dentist may delegate to a dental assistant.

(c) A dentist is not required to be on the premises when the dental hygienist performs a delegated act.

(d) This chapter does not prevent a dentist from authorizing a dental hygienist employed by the dentist to:

(1) instruct and educate a patient in proper oral hygiene; or

(2) provide to a patient a medication ordered by the dentist.

(e) This chapter does not prevent a dental hygienist from incidentally removing cementum during root planing.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:50 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Its very rude to the patients when you have to wait for hours after your appointment time.
Maybe if you put this in context others might better understand your issues. Are you using some type of charity welfare health system that is free? That's usually the only time I've seen "hours" of waiting. In the USA only "Free Clinics" and emergency rooms have longer than expected waits.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:09 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Maybe if you put this in context others might better understand your issues. Are you using some type of charity welfare health system that is free? That's usually the only time I've seen "hours" of waiting. In the USA only "Free Clinics" and emergency rooms have longer than expected waits.
Nope, ones where you are paying.

Old 08-25-2023, 09:10 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
<snip>
It's not good enough to make an appointment and show up for it anymore. If you don't confirm, your appointment will be cancelled. Another thing you gotta make sure you do. Get ready for this to become the norm.<end snip>
I remember receiving phone calls 20 years ago from the doctor's office wanting a confirmation. Today, I receive a confirmation text. I prefer the text, it's faster.

Old 08-25-2023, 09:20 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I agree it gets oppressive sometimes. They text you a reminder. They text you a message to text 1 to confirm. Then they send you a link to fill out the same info you gave them last time you were there.
Later they send you a survey about how they did. I do text to confirm, but I ignore the other ones.

My former dentist charged me a $10. random fee for something, during the pandemic, then expected me to spend 10 minutes to fill out a survey. I told him I would, but it would cost him $10.

Old 08-25-2023, 10:25 AM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Born and reared in Georgia and have lived here all my life: 75 + years.

Why would I choose GA law if I did not live here? It's in my profile and location at the top of every post I have made here.
Interesting.

I thought you might have done a search re: States that don't require dentist supervision for their hygienists.

Old 08-25-2023, 01:09 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
For as long as I can remember, dentists, MDs, vets, imaging centers, want confirmation that you will show up. They used to confirm with phone call, now it’s text or email, & because of where I live, it’s still sometimes a live person calling. I do remember some places stated they charged a missed appointment fee, but I never was charged b/c I always confirmed. I’m guessing if something terrible happened that prevented going to the appointment, fee would be waived.

When I was working, I called clients to reconfirm our appointment date & time. This all seems like standard business practice to me.

Where I live, since the pandemic you’re just lucky to get a appointment at all.

Old 08-25-2023, 01:09 PM

689 posts, read 637,966 times
My dentist's office sends out texts saying that that I must cancel within 48 hours to avoid a $75 no-show fee. It used to be 24 hours and I was fine. 48 hours seems a bit much. They do start sending texts and emails about two weeks before and I appreciate that. I usually confirm and have never not shown. As my appointment gets closer, I have often called them and said, "Hey I'm free today do you have any openings?" and they often do. So it all works out.

Old 08-25-2023, 02:17 PM

401 posts, read 275,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
My wife had this happen by our dentist recently. They made many attempts to confirm - one email, texted 2-3 times, and left 2-3 voicemails. No fee charged, she showed up on time but was told her appointment was cancelled due to not confirming in advance.

My wife is not tech savvy, cannot bring her phone into her workplace (security will not allow), and she is terrible at checking it after hours after working.

Most doctors will send emails and maybe texts, and may even call to confirm appointments. And of course it is not uncommon to be charged a fee if you do not show up for an appointment. But I usually do not confirm, and I have never heard of this policy of cancelling before if not confirmed. And between me, my wife and her mother, we go to a lot of doctors.

I have always had the doctor honor the appointment time, period. You make the appt, then you show up at that appt time and there is never a problem, whether you confirm or not. It always seemed that confirming in advance was only to fill out paperwork, which can be done upon arrival if necessary.

We switched to this dentist about 1.5 yrs ago, but I don't remember being informed about this policy. I'm sure that there have been other times in the last year and a half that we did not confirm, but this is the first time they have enforced it.

Is this a common practice? Or maybe the "new normal"?
It's the new "abnormal". My dentist does the same intrusive 3-4 text messages sometimes weeks before the appt. Then non-stop messages. I don't even think you should need to call back to confirm. It should state "if you can't keep or need to change" then reply back. But cancelling an appt over that? I would find a new dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness