Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 11:52 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Then you are very very very lucky. There are literally forums and websites dedicated to this stuff and about the doctors who are the worse about it.
There are websites dedicated to everything... that doesn't mean much. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2023, 01:03 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
I don't see it as intrusive at all if people WILL NOT bother to simply confirm.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:05 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,020,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
There are websites dedicated to everything... that doesn't mean much. lol
Except that it means it happens.

Old 08-29-2023, 01:31 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,423,368 times
There are many hills in life. You choose which one you'll die on. Some people would rather die on the "principal of the thing" hill, than the "getting their health needs taken care of" hill.

I'm glad we have the freedom in this country to choose which hill we'll pick. My doctor asks me to confirm my appointments. And out of respect of my doctor's time, I comply, and confirm the appointment. He's never more than 10 minutes late and when he IS running late, someone in his office has enough respect of my time to come out and tell me that he's running late.

Last week, I had a test center call to confirm my appointment. I'm very glad they did, because I'd forgotten to put it in my calendar and didn't remember making it three months ago. I would've ended up not only being charged for the visit that I never showed up for, but I also would've missed an important test.

Your mileage may vary, but a doctor/patient relationship requires trust and cooperation. Just imagine if you showed up on time for your appointment, and the doctor's receptionist said "oh gee - we never put you in the system, so you came for nothing. Woops!"

They're ensuring that this doesn't happen. You should be grateful.

Old 08-29-2023, 01:38 PM

20,121 posts, read 9,036,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
Well, it is easy to point to the failure to respond because it wasn't you. I knew I would get that. It's an internet message board, after all...

But we were surprised and unaware that it would ever result in cancellation. None of the messages stated they would cancel if no response. For example, the email just says, "A Friendly Reminder. Please confirm."

By the way, this appointment was for installing a crown. She had already paid for it, had the all of the drilling done, temporary one installed (which fell out and she had to go back to be cemented correctly), and was awaiting for the permanent one to arrive. This appt was to install the permanent crown, so the appt was no charge.

I was interested in hearing from any others who are aware of this policy at any of their providers, more than I was about whether the policy is appropriate (which everyone has done). Is this policy becoming more prevalent? I have never heard of it until now. We always just showed up for our appointments, and always cancelled or rescheduled well in advance if needed.

I don't think it very common, but I think it will be. Get ready.

https://www.dentistryiq.com/front-of...r-appointments
all of my doctors confirm appts. Many times appts are made for months in advance. It can be annoying if you get 2 or 3 of them. Ask them to confirm appts by phone in the future.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:16 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
If you happen to be a decently organized person who knows how to maintain a calendar, maybe multiple appointment reminders/confirmations could become irritating. However, at the same time those same decently organized people probably appreciate why a business might use them. Don't forget that many people have no presence of mind or control over their lives at all. They drift along expecting/hoping others will take care of them. To them, a nanny state is a great thing. That trend seems to be expanding.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-30-2023 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-30-2023, 02:00 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Except that it means it happens.
Of course it happens. Just not as frequently or intentionally as you seem to believe.

I go to doctors and dentists regularly (monthly now), I'm 46 years old, and it's only caused an inconvenience maybe a few times in my life. Also, OP never even mentioned this as an issue with their dentist. So it's a moot point for the sake of this discussion, anyway.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:06 PM

92 posts, read 109,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
My wife had this happen by our dentist recently. They made many attempts to confirm - one email, texted 2-3 times, and left 2-3 voicemails. No fee charged, she showed up on time but was told her appointment was cancelled due to not confirming in advance.

My wife is not tech savvy, cannot bring her phone into her workplace (security will not allow), and she is terrible at checking it after hours after working.

Most doctors will send emails and maybe texts, and may even call to confirm appointments. And of course it is not uncommon to be charged a fee if you do not show up for an appointment. But I usually do not confirm, and I have never heard of this policy of cancelling before if not confirmed. And between me, my wife and her mother, we go to a lot of doctors.

Is this a common practice? Or maybe the "new normal"?
This policy is not fair after the appointment date was made that it would be cancelled if your wife didn't confirm. Did she receive the appointment card with date in the dentist's office? Did she ever miss an appointment in the past? I may agree this policy might be fair if she or other patients missed or didn't show up for previous appointments, but if she has a perfect history of always showing up for an appointment, and being on time, then this policy of cancelling her appointment if she doesn't confirm should not apply to her as a patient, especially if she already received her appointment card with date in the office in person some time prior.

Last edited by len ren; 08-30-2023 at 08:14 PM..

Old 08-31-2023, 06:18 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,020,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Of course it happens. Just not as frequently or intentionally as you seem to believe.

I go to doctors and dentists regularly (monthly now), I'm 46 years old, and it's only caused an inconvenience maybe a few times in my life. Also, OP never even mentioned this as an issue with their dentist. So it's a moot point for the sake of this discussion, anyway.
I just have bad luck with multiple doctors and dentists then along with many many other people.

Old 08-31-2023, 06:38 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
Quote:
I just have bad luck with multiple doctors and dentists then along with many many other people.
If this is such a constant problem, it may be due to one of the following four common reasons.

1. You're in an area with low provider numbers which results in an overload of patient to provider. Doctors fall behind simply because they have too many people needing service and not enough doctors to provide the service.

2. You have crappy insurance so providers don't accept that insurance leading to the same issue as #1.

3. Patients are entitlement snobs. As previously mentioned, you're area's patient makeup has lots of people who call for a single minor thing but end up unloading every health issue known to man on the doctor that requires excess time to unravel.

4. You're a problem patient so they really don't want to deal with you. As a result, they avoid seeing you as long as possible in hopes you go elsewhere.

Does any of these four common reasons fit you?
(hint, based on your comments, I'm leaning towards #4)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness