Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 09:08 PM

843 posts, read 565,668 times

Advertisements

My wife had this happen by our dentist recently. They made many attempts to confirm - one email, texted 2-3 times, and left 2-3 voicemails. No fee charged, she showed up on time but was told her appointment was cancelled due to not confirming in advance.

My wife is not tech savvy, cannot bring her phone into her workplace (security will not allow), and she is terrible at checking it after hours after working.

Most doctors will send emails and maybe texts, and may even call to confirm appointments. And of course it is not uncommon to be charged a fee if you do not show up for an appointment. But I usually do not confirm, and I have never heard of this policy of cancelling before if not confirmed. And between me, my wife and her mother, we go to a lot of doctors.

I have always had the doctor honor the appointment time, period. You make the appt, then you show up at that appt time and there is never a problem, whether you confirm or not. It always seemed that confirming in advance was only to fill out paperwork, which can be done upon arrival if necessary.

We switched to this dentist about 1.5 yrs ago, but I don't remember being informed about this policy. I'm sure that there have been other times in the last year and a half that we did not confirm, but this is the first time they have enforced it.

Is this a common practice? Or maybe the "new normal"?

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 08-21-2023 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 07:34 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,294,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
My wife had this happen by our dentist recently. They made many attempts to confirm - one email, texted 2-3 times, and left 2-3 voicemails. No fee charged, she showed up on time but was told her appointment was cancelled due to not confirming in advance.

My wife is not tech savvy, cannot bring her phone into her workplace (security will not allow), and she is terrible at checking it after hours after working.

Most doctors will send emails and maybe texts, and may even call to confirm appointments. And of course it is not uncommon to be charged a fee if you do not show up for an appointment. But I usually do not confirm, and I have never heard of this policy of cancelling before if not confirmed. And between me, my wife and her mother, we go to a lot of doctors.

I have always had the doctor honor the appointment time, period. You make the appt, then you show up at that appt time and there is never a problem, whether you confirm or not. It always seemed that confirming in advance was only to fill out paperwork, which can be done upon arrival if necessary.

We switched to this dentist about 1.5 yrs ago, but I don't remember being informed about this policy. I'm sure that there have been other times in the last year and a half that we did not confirm, but this is the first time they have enforced it.

Is this a common practice? Or maybe the "new normal"?

Its BS. But rather than ignoring them, you should be able to opt out of such reminders and avoid the problem entirely. Just tell them you do not want reminders.

Old 08-22-2023, 07:58 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,016,740 times
It's not necessarily BS. I do this in business (not healthcare), maybe the day before or day of, and call someone for a verbal confirmation to make sure we're still on for a meeting time. Too many times I've just showed up and it was for nothing. People forget.

I wish things weren't so reliant on technology...it doesn't always work. I had an appointment with my insurance agent yesterday. When I arrived she wasn't there, and they said they emailed and texted me asking to reschedule. I never got a text, and didn't get the email until I got home that night. Not everyone has instant & constant access to email, for whatever reason. Why didn't they just call me instead?

Old 08-22-2023, 08:12 AM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post

If you are asked 7 times if you're really coming, and you just ignore that...then I don't feel particularly badly that your appointment was canceled. The only reason I say this is that it is often very difficult for others to schedule a timely appointment.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:15 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If you are asked 7 times if you're really coming, and you just ignore that...then I don't feel particularly badly that your appointment was canceled. The only reason I say this is that it is often very difficult for others to schedule a timely appointment.
Once doctors start being on time for appointments or not changing them to a different date and time when you show up for your scheduled appointment, that is when I will agree with you.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:13 AM

1,387 posts, read 726,706 times
Quote:
I agree. I confirm just out of curtesy.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:56 AM

843 posts, read 565,668 times
Quote:
Well, it is easy to point to the failure to respond because it wasn't you. I knew I would get that. It's an internet message board, after all...

But we were surprised and unaware that it would ever result in cancellation. None of the messages stated they would cancel if no response. For example, the email just says, "A Friendly Reminder. Please confirm."

By the way, this appointment was for installing a crown. She had already paid for it, had the all of the drilling done, temporary one installed (which fell out and she had to go back to be cemented correctly), and was awaiting for the permanent one to arrive. This appt was to install the permanent crown, so the appt was no charge.

I was interested in hearing from any others who are aware of this policy at any of their providers, more than I was about whether the policy is appropriate (which everyone has done). Is this policy becoming more prevalent? I have never heard of it until now. We always just showed up for our appointments, and always cancelled or rescheduled well in advance if needed.

I don't think it very common, but I think it will be. Get ready.

https://www.dentistryiq.com/front-of...r-appointments

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 08-22-2023 at 11:23 AM..

Old 08-22-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Once doctors start being on time for appointments or not changing them to a different date and time when you show up for your scheduled appointment, that is when I will agree with you.
I do resent appointments when I am on time and they are VERY late. I have waited over an hour a couple of times for an appointment, and that is -- generally -- unneccessary. However, there are times that someone is desperately in need to extra time for their appointment. But general overbooking is irresponsible of doctors.

Old 08-22-2023, 11:21 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,006,984 times
My provider has had this policy for a few years now. They do state in their confirmation communications that failure to confirm by X date will result in the appointment being cancelled. Failure to show after confirming results in a no-show appointment charge. Fortunately, wait times from scheduled appointment time to doctor's presence is a a couple minutes.

Like many, this is not a normal practice in the area. Many still do not charge for no-shows. Of course, most providers in this areas are on a cash payment (or concierge) basis with their patients. Few accept insurance. (you do not want to be on Medicaid, have a Medicare Advantage Plan, or a health plan that's an HMO in this area.)

Old 08-22-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
My provider has had this policy for a few years now. They do state in their confirmation communications that failure to confirm by X date will result in the appointment being cancelled. Failure to show after confirming results in a no-show appointment charge. Fortunately, wait times from scheduled appointment time to doctor's presence is a a couple minutes.

Like many, this is not a normal practice in the area. Many still do not charge for no-shows. Of course, most providers in this areas are on a cash payment (or concierge) basis with their patients. Few accept insurance. (you do not want to be on Medicaid, have a Medicare Advantage Plan, or a health plan that's an HMO in this area.)
Feel free not to answer...but I'm curious where you are located with all those restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness