Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 03:28 PM

92 posts, read 109,727 times

Advertisements

For what reason would the Health Care system have for not being able to provide a surgery date IN ADVANCE within 2 months when they can arrive at this information certainly within 3 or 5 days on a computer by viewing the waiting times and who's on the list in regards to priority and so forth? Its hard to believe that after 2 months they're still not able to arrive at a surgery date. I'm not asking for the actual surgery to be preformed within 2 months, only the DATE of the surgery. What proper reasons would they have when they have computers to find out in minutes? I understand for example if there's a back log or shortage of doctors but how can they not arrange this date in advance at least by 30 or 60 days by using the computer? There should be a policy to allow patients to receive their surgery date in a timely manner IN ADVANCE, at least within 30 days. Anyone else experience this? This happens to me often no matter if its a doctor's appointment, a CT scan appointment or surgery appointment.

Last edited by len ren; 08-25-2023 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 03:35 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Confusing post. There are a lot of players involved with scheduling surgery and even if they can assign a date that far in advance, the schedule can be upset by many factors. Multiple moving targets as well as computer systems: surgeon, anesthesia, surgical nurse staff, hospital durable equipment rental, rooms, recovery room space and all their staff, scheduling the OR, getting pre-approvals from insurance, urgent cases superseding others........

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-25-2023 at 04:04 PM..

Old 08-25-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Confusing post. There are a lot of players involved with scheduling surgery and even if they could assign a date that far in advance, the schedule can be upset by many factors. Multiple moving targets: surgeon, anesthesia, surgical nurse staff, hospital durable equipment rental, rooms, recovery room space and all their staff, scheduling the OR........
So you're saying if a doctor thinks my surgery date may be in 4 to 6 months, they will only know for a fact 2 to 4 weeks before the actual date? Does this apply to everyone since everyone I know always gets their appointment date in advance right away even if their appointment is 3 months away, or surgery date in advance within 2 to 4 weeks even if their surgery date is 3 to 6 months later, but not me. Can't they provide me something in writing in advance as to when my surgery date might be within a certain time frame instead of leaving me hanging for how long, 6 or 12 months of waiting to find out my surgery date is 2 to 4 weeks later or maybe even to find out there was an error or mishap and the date was never made? Do they like being left hanging and waiting for something without knowing when it will occur until 4 or 6 months later to finally learn that the date will be 2 weeks later? I bet they wouldn't like that. To what percentage of patients does this happen, 1 in a 100 or 1 in a 1000?

Last edited by len ren; 08-25-2023 at 04:05 PM..

Old 08-25-2023, 04:24 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by len ren View Post
So you're saying if a doctor thinks my surgery date may be in 4 to 6 months, they will only know for a fact 2 to 4 weeks before the actual date? Does this apply to everyone since everyone I know always gets their appointment date in advance right away even if their appointment is 3 months away, or surgery date in advance within 2 to 4 weeks even if their surgery date is 3 to 6 months later, but not me. Can't they provide me something in writing in advance as to when my surgery date might be within a certain time frame instead of leaving me hanging for how long, 6 or 12 months of waiting to find out my surgery date is 2 to 4 weeks later or maybe even to find out there was an error or mishap and the date was never made? Do they like being left hanging and waiting for something without knowing when it will occur until 4 or 6 months later to finally learn that the date will be 2 weeks later? I bet they wouldn't like that. To what percentage of patients does this happen, 1 in a 100 or 1 in a 1000?
You're asking the wrong people these questions. All I tried to do was suggest some possible reasons. Talk to your doctor about how they build their surgical schedules. I'm sure every practice is different as is every hospital they maintain privileges at. Wouldn't even attempt to guess about the other millions of surgery patients in this country.

Old 08-25-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You're asking the wrong people these questions. All I tried to do was suggest some possible reasons. Talk to your doctor about how they build their surgical schedules. I'm sure every practice is different as is every hospital they maintain privileges at. Wouldn't even attempt to guess about the other millions of surgery patients in this country.
I'm not really asking the wrong people because they most likely were/ or are patients who make appointments with doctors, for CT scans and surgery and how often does it happen to them they don't get the appointment date in advance until 3 or 6 months later to finally find out its 2 weeks away? I bet it didn't happen to any of them.

I did ask my doctor and the admin at desk, the doctor said I should receive the (simple) surgery by him in oct or nov, but he will only know once the hospital contacts him to inform him of the available date, if they don't the appointment will take longer, and until they contact him its out of his hands. Maybe I should contact the actual hospital and ask them when my appointment date will be in advance since i already waited 2 months with no word from them as the medical system has left me in the cold and in the dark as usual.

Last edited by len ren; 08-25-2023 at 06:04 PM..

Old 08-25-2023, 05:28 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
There is a national blood shortage. If surgery is elective, that might have something to do with it.

Old 08-25-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
There is a national blood shortage. If surgery is elective, that might have something to do with it.
Its minor surgery of a very uncomfortable big 1/2" to 5/6" cyst very close to eye but easily can be separated, blood transfusion not necessary. And yes it is an elective surgery but the issue is waiting 3 to 6 months just to find out the date. how often does this happen? 1 in 1000 patients? Why are they acting like they can predict how many patients will be needing emergency surgeries and that's why they never informed me of the date now at 2 months? They do have computers to find this information, correct? Even if there is a shortage of something, why at 2 months their computers are not able to arrange a date for me by looking at the list on screen and how many are waiting for surgeries? I'm not asking to receive this surgery within 2 months, i'm just asking to receive the date of surgery, soon it will be 3 months and so on. Did their computers crash for 2 months and counting? Of course not.

This forum is a good place to ask the following question since how many people who made appointments with doctors, CT scans or surgery view these threads? How many viewers were left out in the cold and in the dark by not receiving an appointment date for a doctor, CT scan or surgery until 3 to 6 months later to find out the appointment is 2 to 4 weeks away? I bet not one, just me. I bet they all received such appointment dates either the same day while at doctor's office or within 2 weeks later.

Maybe a million patients should read this thread to give me more of an accurate answer? Can we do this?

Last edited by len ren; 08-25-2023 at 06:39 PM..

Old 08-25-2023, 06:46 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
I have never experienced any such delay in scheduling for any surgery or other tests. I have one doctor that will schedule appointments an entire year in the future. Yet another doctor who won't schedule anything past 2 months. Maybe you need a different doctor?

Old 08-25-2023, 06:54 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by len ren View Post

Maybe a million patients should read this thread to give me more of an accurate answer? Can we do this?
You'd get a million different answers.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I have never experienced any such delay in scheduling for any surgery or other tests. I have one doctor that will schedule appointments an entire year in the future. Yet another doctor who won't schedule anything past 2 months. Maybe you need a different doctor?
See they're able to schedule appointments in advance for a whole year but not for me. My eye doctor's great, its the hospital where the doctor will preform my surgery. Once the hospital finds out an available date for my surgery is when they'll contact my doctor's office, then my doctor's office will phone me. I emailed my doctor's office again and they emailed me the same answer, "We are still awaiting dates from the hospital in order to book your surgery. As soon as we have availability, we will be in touch to confirm with you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness