Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 12:33 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
There is no coersion or effort.
I'd suggest you look up the definitions of both of those words lol.

Old 09-25-2023, 03:58 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
No, it really isn't. Unless you are uniquely UNqualified for any other job, anywhere else, then you are not being forced to do anything at all. If you choose to work in the health care field where you are exposed to illness /and/ can spread illness as a result of your choices, then the company in which you choose to work, has the right to restrict the rate of infection as they see fit. Go work for a different health care company that doesn't require vaccinations. Or heck, be creative and start up your own.
If all healthcare facilities made the civic vaccine a job requirement,…how many job openings will there be for nursing and other medical staff? By threading your employment you are forcing people to either get the vaccine or become unemployed. Not all hospital medical staff can afford to quit. There are many low paying positions in hospitals with people who need this job to help pay the bills.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:35 PM

1,147 posts, read 860,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If all healthcare facilities made the civic vaccine a job requirement,…how many job openings will there be for nursing and other medical staff? By threading your employment you are forcing people to either get the vaccine or become unemployed. Not all hospital medical staff can afford to quit. There are many low paying positions in hospitals with people who need this job to help pay the bills.
Hospitals are very, very, very dangerous work environments. They have highly resistant killer organisms. There is an epidemiologist infection control officer that monitors infections acquired in the hospital.

Hospitals seek individuals that are highly consciences and highly motivated in infection control who always follow hospital policies in mitigating efforts to reduce hospital acquired infections.

If you don't care enough to vaccinate then hospital environments are not for you. All hospitals screen with blood tests for common agents and vaccinate those without proven immunity with classical viruses. There is a high likelihood that those who don't want to vaccinate don't care much about infection control and are a hazard in such work environments as hospitals. People like that need to find another job elsewhere.

Those with low paying jobs usually have a limited education and understanding of medical issues. No problem when the hospital has a policy of vaccinations as they monitor and tell the employees what is expected.

I don't care who they are. If they don't abide by infection control polices, and doctors are the worse offenders, then they should not seek to work in a hospital. There are very sick people there and it doesn't take much to kill somebody and also the infectious agents there are killers and those same patients are capable of transmitting those highly proven killers to hospital employees.

It's a no brainer. You don't want somebody who doesn't want to vaccinate, wont wear masks, won't wear gloves and won't wash their hands working next to me.

There was an incident of N. meningitidis that a laboratory worker caught it as a laboratory infection at our hospital chain from a blood culture. They died. We don't know how it happened. We can only guess. They exposed the hospital and their families apart from the tragic death. It's a part of the job and it isn't a game.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:39 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
Hospitals are very, very, very dangerous work environments. They have highly resistant killer organisms. There is an epidemiologist infection control officer that monitors infections acquired in the hospital.

Hospitals seek individuals that are highly consciences and highly motivated in infection control who always follow hospital policies in mitigating efforts to reduce hospital acquired infections.

If you don't care enough to vaccinate then hospital environments are not for you. All hospitals screen with blood tests for common agents and vaccinate those without proven immunity with classical viruses. There is a high likelihood that those who don't want to vaccinate don't care much about infection control and are a hazard in such work environments as hospitals. People like that need to find another job elsewhere.

Those with low paying jobs usually have a limited education and understanding of medical issues. No problem when the hospital has a policy of vaccinations as they monitor and tell the employees what is expected.

I don't care who they are. If they don't abide by infection control polices, and doctors are the worse offenders, then they should not seek to work in a hospital. There are very sick people there and it doesn't take much to kill somebody and also the infectious agents there are killers and those same patients are capable of transmitting those highly proven killers to hospital employees.

It's a no brainer. You don't want somebody who doesn't want to vaccinate, wont wear masks, won't wear gloves and won't wash their hands working next to me.

There was an incident of N. meningitidis that a laboratory worker caught it as a laboratory infection at our hospital chain from a blood culture. They died. We don't know how it happened. We can only guess. They exposed the hospital and their families apart from the tragic death. It's a part of the job and it isn't a game.
so do you refuse to admit a patient who isnt vaccinated against everything there is a vaccine for? I would think they would be more of a danger than staff but Ive never seen any hospital or most drs ask the patient vaccination status.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:11 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
so do you refuse to admit a patient who isnt vaccinated against everything there is a vaccine for? I would think they would be more of a danger than staff but Ive never seen any hospital or most drs ask the patient vaccination status.
I will answer this one. While I cannot get in the head of administrators who mandate vaccines, everyone accepts these mandates as for protection of the patients - often in highly vulnerable circumstances - and not so much about the employees who are relatively fit/healthy. Though employees who are not very healthy and are concerned with catching a bug can and do ask reassignment.

I'm against vaccine mandates generally, but the healthcare setting maybe one area where it makes sense provided the vaccines are infection blocking or provide a transient window where they're infection blocking (and therefore the shots can be tied with the onset of the viral season).

Some patients are so frail, even a common cold for me or you would knock them out.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I will answer this one. While I cannot get in the head of administrators who mandate vaccines, everyone accepts these mandates as for protection of the patients - often in highly vulnerable circumstances - and not so much about the employees who are relatively fit/healthy. Though employees who are not very healthy and are concerned with catching a bug can and do ask reassignment.

I'm against vaccine mandates generally, but the healthcare setting maybe one area where it makes sense provided the vaccines are infection blocking or provide a transient window where they're infection blocking (and therefore the shots can be tied with the onset of the viral season).

Some patients are so frail, even a common cold for me or you would knock them out.
I agree with the motives.

Those issues and measures are not solely COVID centric. That's the problem that I see when people say that masks don't work and then assume that the standard has changed. We don't know what infectious disease agent is out there. There was a case of tuberculosis from a nasal sample with TB bacteria all over the place on a swab taken and they were in surgery for sinus surgery. They wore masks and I wore a mask and I never converted on the TB skin test. I was told by all in the microbiology laboratory that everybody there had converted if you were to work there long enough that you would also be exposed and convert to positive. I was never exposed in all the years I worked. TB skin tests were mandatory and if I didn't get one or if there were delays then my annual pay increase would be in jeopardy and if I failed to comply would be out without pay. It's not just COVID.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:15 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post

But the COVID vaccine doesn’t prevent you from contracting nor spreading COVID. PPE and proper personal hygiene offer better patient protection than having staff vaccinated. Staff could be infected or have contaminants from other patients they’re treating. Another protective measure is ventilation, which is what I work on at the hospital. Most patient rooms are slightly positive pressure (with door closed a bit of air will flow out from under the door. However, for isolation rooms it is reversed. With doors closed air will be drawn in from under the door. No air from patient rooms are recirculated through the HVAC. There is a separate exhaust for patient rooms to exhaust to outside the building and isolation rooms have separate exhaust ventilation to maintain negative air pressure. At our hospital there are only single patient rooms. Not one room is for double occupancy. As for PPEs, staff are free to wear mask and gloves as they feel is necessary for self protection and for protection of the patients. It’s only when entering certain patient rooms that protective gear is required. PPE & hygiene practices do far more to prevent spreading and contracting diseases in hospitals than vaccines proven to not prevent infection.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:08 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post

but you didnt answer my question- is the hospital requiring vaccinations from the patients? Ive never seen it or most drs offices dont ask about the patients vaccination status. Wouldnt that be more important to knowtoprotect other patients? Only the unvaccinated staff spread diseases? I dont think so.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
but you didnt answer my question- is the hospital requiring vaccinations from the patients? Ive never seen it or most drs offices dont ask about the patients vaccination status. Wouldnt that be more important to knowtoprotect other patients? Only the unvaccinated staff spread diseases? I dont think so.
You have a physical hospital where patient A is in room 100 and patient B is in room 200. Patient A and patient B are not interacting. Nurse C takes care of both patient A and patient B and can be a vector of transference.

One can not control the medical histories of patients at a hospital. One can not refuse entry of patients based on such histories. One can control staff employees.

One reduces, mitigates any and all ways to control infection outbreaks. It isn't which one is better and then pick one and ignore some.

How can a hospital require patients to vaccinate? Makes no sense at all. A hospital can screen patients for infectious disease. Patients were screened for COVID before being admitted to hospital. All mitigation efforts were put in place.

Old 09-26-2023, 10:02 AM

37,098 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
But the COVID vaccine doesn’t prevent you from contracting nor spreading COVID. PPE and proper personal hygiene offer better patient protection than having staff vaccinated. .
The vaccine reduces the risk of infection, which reduces transmission.

https://health.ucdavis.edu/news/head...iants-/2023/09

"Younger and healthy individuals should also strongly consider getting the booster because data show that it does prevent infection in some people, it decreases transmission and diminishes the severity of the virus."

PPE includes masks, so you are saying masks "work", I take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness