Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:12 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
The OP asked a question and I answered it. I did not read the book. I flipped through the pages and what I saw as the main part was a change of diet.
Please go back and reread my post. I didn't say that anyone has ever been cured of anything but personally if I had ms or any other disease, I would be open to curing my disease. Diseases have been cured by change of diet and lifestyle because I've seen it happen but it takes work and dedication.
It's your right to find my comment flippant, uninformed and offensive but I was answering a question and giving my opinion.
Drugs are not the only answer. If you're offended by that, I feel sorry for you.
I've read and reread your post and I don't think I misunderstood or mispoke in my response.

At the health food store I used to work at, in the book section was a book and I can't remember the name of it but it had something to do with reversing ms. There's one on diabetes too.
I flipped through it one day because I know someone that has it. Mostly what I saw was a change of diet. Of course we all know that's a cure for most diseases anyway but not a whole lot of people want to do that. They'd rather take the drugs.

And please, don't tell me what you would do until you are in a situation where you are the one having to make the choices.

Yes some diseases have been "cured" by change of diet and lifestyle. MS is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 09:15 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Yes, I see this alot, both on forums and in general day to day discussion. It is usually the position of those that have not experienced a particular illness at close hand that have the most to say about what everyone else should be doing.

I know very few people that are willing to risk soley relying on the unsubstantiated claims of the alternative health industry even if they've never been a big fan of big pharma. And the fact remains that there are usually no controlled studies of the efficacy of alternative medicine. When it comes to disease people need quality statistics and quality information in order to choose the correct path for them.

It's not true at all that there are no controlled studies on the efficacy of alternative medicine! There are many studies on the effectiveness of certain "alternative" treatments. They aren't even called that anymore they're so "mainstream." They're commonly called complimentary.

There are literally tons of web-sites, reputable, with research and studies about alternative treatments for various health issues. I wouldn't know where to begin. A few: Andrew Weil,, Women to Women (C. Northrup), Mass. Hospital's Stress-Reduction program, Linus Pauling Institute, Medweb: Alternative Medicine, Arbor Nutrition Guide,Tahoma Clinic (Dr. Jonathon Wright),NIH, Susan Love MD, CAM (a big one), Sloan Kettering (herbal remedies), Dean Ornish/heart disease,N. Gonzoles/cancer (spelling?).

There are many, many research studies with statistics about "Alternative" health care. Again, it's so mainstream, it's called Complimentary. And, what is "alternative"? What is the definition of that? Anything that your allopathic physician doesn't treat you with?

Do you understand that there are treatments that are "mainstream", or acceptable allopathic/traditional treatments that have poor to no research? You go to your doctor, you get a pill or an operation and these treatments have little, some, or conflicting research attached to them? It's not a black or white area with allopathic treatments. Today's medicine is often tomorrow's disproven treatment or remedy.

There are some "Traditional" treatments that have been well-researched and with little side effects. Why not use these? Use what works, with minimal side effects or problems--if you feel comfortable about them. But, to say that "alternative" treatments have not been researched is without credibility. Some have been rigorously researched, while others less. Same with traditional. Some treatments have been, while others have less reserach or conflicting opinions about them.

As far as individual diseases or problems--there is no one size fits all equation, either with "alternative" (whatever that term means anymore) or "traditional/allopathic."

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 06-07-2008 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-07-2008, 10:23 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I've read and reread your post and I don't think I misunderstood or mispoke in my response.

At the health food store I used to work at, in the book section was a book and I can't remember the name of it but it had something to do with reversing ms. There's one on diabetes too.
I flipped through it one day because I know someone that has it. Mostly what I saw was a change of diet. Of course we all know that's a cure for most diseases anyway but not a whole lot of people want to do that. They'd rather take the drugs.

And please, don't tell me what you would do until you are in a situation where you are the one having to make the choices.

Yes some diseases have been "cured" by change of diet and lifestyle. MS is not one of them.
I know exactly what I would do or I would at least be open to other options and that's all I was basically saying to the OP. I saw a book and I told her about it. I'm not telling anybody what to do drugwise or alternativewise. I believe that people have choices and personally, the people that I know of that are sick choose to take drugs and they're still sick. They don't want anything to do with the other options they have. I also happen to know that a change in diet and lifestyle has changed my life whereas the drugs I was taking at one time, did nothing but cause side effects.
You can't believe everything you read but I thought I would mention this particular book in case she wants to research it herself and make her own decisions.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
It's not true at all that there are no controlled studies on the efficacy of alternative medicine! There are many studies on the effectiveness of certain "alternative" treatments. They aren't even called that anymore they're so "mainstream." They're commonly called complimentary.

There are literally tons of web-sites, reputable, with research and studies about alternative treatments for various health issues. I wouldn't know where to begin. A few: Andrew Weil,, Women to Women (C. Northrup), Mass. Hospital's Stress-Reduction program, Linus Pauling Institute, Medweb: Alternative Medicine, Arbor Nutrition Guide,Tahoma Clinic (Dr. Jonathon Wright),NIH, Susan Love MD, CAM (a big one), Sloan Kettering (herbal remedies), Dean Ornish/heart disease,N. Gonzoles/cancer (spelling?).

There are many, many research studies with statistics about "Alternative" health care. Again, it's so mainstream, it's called Complimentary. And, what is "alternative"? What is the definition of that? Anything that your allopathic physician doesn't treat you with?

Do you understand that there are treatments that are "mainstream", or acceptable allopathic/traditional treatments that have poor to no research? You go to your doctor, you get a pill or an operation and these treatments have little, some, or conflicting research attached to them? It's not a black or white area with allopathic treatments. Today's medicine is often tomorrow's disproven treatment or remedy.

There are some "Traditional" treatments that have been well-researched and with little side effects. Why not use these? Use what works, with minimal side effects or problems--if you feel comfortable about them. But, to say that "alternative" treatments have not been researched is without credibility. Some have been rigorously researched, while others less. Same with traditional. Some treatments have been, while others have less reserach or conflicting opinions about them.

As far as individual diseases or problems--there is no one size fits all equation, either with "alternative" (whatever that term means anymore) or "traditional/allopathic."
And the fact remains that there are usually no controlled studies of the efficacy of alternative medicine.

That's ^ what I said. I made that comment and all the others in this thread specifically with MS in mind. The thread is supposed to be about MS after all.

It's not true at all that there are no controlled studies on the efficacy of alternative medicine!

And that's what you decided I said. I have no doubt that alternative medicine has been studied and statistics gathered and at times integrated into mainstream medicine successfully based on the outcomes discovered.

When it comes to Multiple Sclerosis, WHICH is the topic of thread, (and not a debate about who thinks what about alternative vs traditional medicine) there are very few QUALITY statistics of the LONG TERM outcomes for those with MS treated purely with alternative therapies as opposed to traditional treatments. Frankly staring down the barrel of an incurable disease with progessive disability, a highly likely outcome for many, WHO in their right mind would want to risk it? Fact is for all the options bandied about thus far for people with MS there is very clear and concise data collected about the improved outcomes from the medications that are available and this can also be improved by adopting a diet low in saturated fats.

I'll repeat, whatever anyone decides is the course of action they wish to take in treating their disease is THEIR choice and one I would support regardless of it wasn't the same choice I would make.

Please don't assume that because I don't believe that alternative medicine has offered a valid and effective treatment for MS that is proven better than treatments offered by the medical fraternity that I haven't read, and read and READ a wide variety of "solutions" from both traditional medicine and alternative medicine.

Anyway, I'm happy to discuss alternative medicine in a different thread, but this one is about MS.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I know exactly what I would do or I would at least be open to other options and that's all I was basically saying to the OP. I saw a book and I told her about it. I'm not telling anybody what to do drugwise or alternativewise. I believe that people have choices and personally, the people that I know of that are sick choose to take drugs and they're still sick. They don't want anything to do with the other options they have. I also happen to know that a change in diet and lifestyle has changed my life whereas the drugs I was taking at one time, did nothing but cause side effects.
You can't believe everything you read but I thought I would mention this particular book in case she wants to research it herself and make her own decisions.
Yes, this is because MS is a progressive disease of the central nervous system with no known cure, so whatever path a person chooses be it drugs, diet, bee stings , exercises, meditation, vitamins, electric shock therapy, etc, etc or a combination of everything, they will still feel sick, be sick, until such times as science learns HOW to or even IF they can re-mylinate nerves. This is why so many people are holding out hope for stem cell therapies. Even that isn't going to be able to resurrect dead or scarred cells and it won't stop the immune system from attacking the myelin in the first place. MS is such a complex disease that even with all the research that's been done science still doesn't know for sure what causes it, let alone how to prevent it or cure it.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:13 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Cinderobin no 2 MS patients have the same symptoms that has been one of the problems with trying to figure out meds and treatments for it.
My sil goes to a Chinese herbal guy and says it helps her. I don't know what is in it. Go to the MS foundation web page there is allot of info there. They would probably send you some even on request.
The symptoms that are general eye sight going, legs giving out, numbness in spots.
MS takes the mylin sheath from around the nerve endings and strips it away.
It also causes a plaque on the spinal cord and MRI's of the brain shows damage to areas of the brain forget what it is called now.
I am sorry about your friend. My hubbys aunt died when he was a kid from MS. But they know more now and the meds really do help but are very expensive.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:13 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,553 times
"My hubbys aunt died when he was a kid from MS."

Excuse me, but I believe you may have meant to say FROM complications realted to MS???

I have MS and do not recall having ever read that anyone died "from MS" itsself.

to the OP, keep an open mind and read all sorts of materials related to MS. IMO there is no real right or wrong to anything one chooses to do in regard to treatment of MS. It is an intensely personal choice and no matter what one chooses to do, there will always be someone who says that is wrong........

I applaud you for wanting to learn about MS, you must be a good friend. When I was diagnosed I didn't have friends or family closeby, hubby was somewhat indifferent. Reactions ranged from pity, to so what's the big deal?
Nobody seems to want to understand and really I think they just prefer to ignore it.
Just be there to listen, support and love that person. MS is unpredictalbe, and no two people are alike in the course of the disease.
blessings

Last edited by crazyma; 06-07-2008 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: wasn't done

Old 06-07-2008, 11:28 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,179 times
I don't know much about MS, however I have been touched by it. My best friends mother has it. From what I have seen, its has a slow progression-at least with my friend's mother. When I met my friend in college her mother could still walk, although very slowly. and she could still drive. Now, 6 yrs later, she cannot walk, and has no mobility. She cannot hold up her own head. She can still talk, eat, but has no mobility. She has a pain pump as well. Whatever the case I recommend learning as much as you can and helping. Some people tend to act like it does not exist but it does. My friend is one of the only people in her family that tries to help her mother. We have held garage sales to help raise money for her. She has to get home care now for she cannot bathe herself. It takes everyone joining together and trying to help.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:23 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
"My hubbys aunt died when he was a kid from MS."

Excuse me, but I believe you may have meant to say FROM complications realted to MS???

I have MS and do not recall having ever read that anyone died "from MS" itsself.
Just because you have not heard of it does not mean it does not happen!
I've had many emails from people who tell me that "people don't die from MS".

Well, apparently they do, according to Patricia McDonald, executive director of the Michigan Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society: "less than one percent of the estimated 350,000 people who have the disease in the United States die from it.

Fewer than 10 percent die from complications of multiple sclerosis...."

http://www.multiplesclerosissucks.com/death.html

Old 06-08-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Just because you have not heard of it does not mean it does not happen!
I've had many emails from people who tell me that "people don't die from MS".

Well, apparently they do, according to Patricia McDonald, executive director of the Michigan Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society: "less than one percent of the estimated 350,000 people who have the disease in the United States die from it.

Fewer than 10 percent die from complications of multiple sclerosis...."

http://www.multiplesclerosissucks.com/death.html
Yes, I have also heard this. Malignant Multiple Sclerosis. Tragic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness