U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 04:47 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,010,306 times

Advertisements

My 19 year-old was told today that he has high blood pressure and needs to monitor it. Other then diet and heredity what are some causes that could be affected positively by lifestyle changes.

I almost always cook from scratch and I rarely add salt, my brother had some kidney issues growing up. My son would prefer to eat fast food; I know he is getting tons of salt there, and he brings snack food home because I don't buy it. I am encouraging him to eat more fruit and veggies, and am looking for recipes that might appeal to him.

I have no personal experience with HBP. I feel as though I am caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. I am doing all that I can to support him, but he has a mind of his own; like they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I would appreciate any suggestions so when he is ready to make some changes, we can get a plan in place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 05:48 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,956,606 times
Some medications (over the counter and prescriptions) can cause HBP.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,610,527 times
There are a lot of things that can contribute to high blood pressure.
I've had slightly high/borderline high blood pressure off and on for years, so I know what to do to lower it( for me), but I don't always do what I should. That said, stress is a big contributor, being overweight is a contributor. My doctor told me that salt only affects some people's blood pressure and not others. I find that exercise helps a lot. Especially weight training exercise...And I swear by grapeseed extract available at any health food store, but I can't say that it works for everybody.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:11 PM

11,528 posts, read 13,116,853 times
19 is very young to have hypertension. Has he had a full medical exam with blood work done? Diet is a factor, but not a clear cut cause of high blood pressure. Many people eat loads of salt, etc. and don't develop it. If he's overweight, dropping down to a normal weight can lower it, exercise, too.
The problem with it is if it's not controlled, it can lead to other health problems. Maybe get some pamphlets from the MD or the Amer. Heart Assoc. on it and leave it for him to read.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:15 PM

6,878 posts, read 20,386,399 times
J o Napot Kivanok; Fia nehez?,Iszik Sor?..nem jo... Sorry, is he heavy set or drinking too many liquids. Diet can play a important part. With me (215/125) was due to bad eating habits/working long hrs/snak/fast food etc. Md said I was using too much salt when 1 carton would last me 15-16 months at home. It was the KFC/McDonalds etc that was my problem. I know you are cooking the same foods that I am familiar with so that is not the problem. Its probably the other small stuff he is ingesting. Cut down the SWEETS/Chips/Soft Drinks/fast food burgers and he should be okay. While I think about it, does your husband Pista remember "Nood-Lee)?. Pista Basci
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness