U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:43 PM

13,640 posts, read 23,135,598 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else here had a diagnosis of "frozen shoulder"..both shoulders are in constant pain especially the right one which is at the point where I have very little range of motion in it..In my case they say it is probably caused by my heart condition (myocardiopathy)..There are a couple different procedures to correct this including surgery..I have had physical therapy which made one shoulder worse..I have an mri scheduled next week to look at the soft tissue..Has anyone ever been treated for this, and what were the results?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:47 PM

13,387 posts, read 36,180,840 times
I had shoulder pain they told me I had a torn rotor cup... then one day I fell it popped been fine ever since!! Please see another dr...

Old 06-02-2008, 10:00 PM

13,640 posts, read 23,135,598 times
Thanks Katie...The mri should show if there is any rotor cuff damage..My shoulders pop quite frequently, but still have pain afterward..

Old 06-02-2008, 10:35 PM

6,262 posts, read 18,341,402 times
I tore my rotater cuff and didn't go to the doctor. Hurt so much that I couldn't use my arm. After 6 months of that hell I gave up and went to the doc. He said I had frozen shoulder. Told me to begin using it, gave me some exercises to do since I didn't have insurance and couldn't afford the rehab I needed. He said if I couldn't get my arm to move within a couple of weeks he would "manipulate" it Well I didn't like the sound of that so I got it moving through the exercises. It still, many years later, hurts on certain days, sometimes at night when I try to get comfortable, etc.......
Good luck and post when you get answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Has anyone else here had a diagnosis of "frozen shoulder"..both shoulders are in constant pain especially the right one which is at the point where I have very little range of motion in it..In my case they say it is probably caused by my heart condition (myocardiopathy)..There are a couple different procedures to correct this including surgery..I have had physical therapy which made one shoulder worse..I have an mri scheduled next week to look at the soft tissue..Has anyone ever been treated for this, and what were the results?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:17 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,942,482 times
I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder a few years ago. It was only the left side, but the pain was really something I'd never felt before. I could not lift the arm much or put pressure on it (such as sleeping on that side).

The doctor said that there was not much they could do and it would probably disappear within 6 mos to a yr (Yikes!!). He did suggest that I limit movement in that arm and sure enough in about six mos the pain just disappeared.

Looking back, I should have gotten a second opinion, but I haven't had any problems since then. I really feel for you, can't even imagine what having it in both sides feels like. I hope they can find a way to give you some relief.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:08 AM

5,978 posts, read 18,694,033 times
Assuming that an MRI confirms you don't have a torn rotator cuff, or a bone spur on the shoulder, there are exercises you could do at home to increase the range of motion on the shoulder. I had a torn rotator cuff and a bone spur that developed from nursing that rotator cuff so surgery to repair the tear and debride (aka file) the bone spur was the only remedy. Physical therapy without a repair is not going to work...been there done that. The tear will not repair itself and has to be done surgically, laparoscopically nowadays.

Now, for those who don't go into surgery, here are some of the things that you could do to increase your range of motion at nominal cost:

1. Most home health care stores and some pharmacies sell those door pulleys that are portable and can be attached to the top of a door. Your good arm pulls the bad arm up slowly, stretching and holding it in place. You have absolute control of how high you can go, how many repetitions (20 is suggested each time, daily). It is %X$^&-ing painful, but it works.

2. Lay down on a flat narrow bench and with about 3 lb weights on each hand, bring your arms down the side of the bench as low as you can go.

3. Stand up straight against a wall about 18 inches from it with both feet flat on the ground but apart about a foot. Keeping your arms straight, do a push up against the wall. When you are comfortable with this, do this with something lower like the back of the couch. This develops strength in your arms.

4. Hold the bathroom or kitchen counter with your frozen arm straight. Bend your knees down to as far as you can go to try to move the arm away from your body with passive motion.

All I can say is that the longer you keep that arm frozen, the more painful the therapy would be, and the less of a chance you have in regaining full range of motion. While surgery certainly was not a fun option, it was the only option I had. I could barely steer the car before then.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:40 PM

308 posts, read 1,552,329 times
I was diagnosed with "frozen shoulder" (capsulitis) several years ago when I suddenly couldn't move my right arm without experiencing excruciating pain. They told me I could undergo physical therapy and/or surgery although the surgery didn't guarantee anything. After about 2 weeks of PT, I got to where I could sort of move my arm again and it wasn't quite as painful; 4 weeks, considerably better (pain wise and range of movement); but, they wanted me to continue because I still had some problems. Three months later, I finally quit going because it had started to worsen again and I thought the last several weeks was a waste of my time & money.

I continued my physical activity (and light hand weight exercises also seemed to help) and it eventually lessened in severity, but I unfortunately still have pain on occasion. I was advised that surgery was "likely" the only thing that could correct it fully but there would be no guarantee that it would actually work. I don't see the point in wasting more money on something that may "likely" not do a damned bit of good. On bad days, I'll use cold packs for brief periods of time and extra stretching/exercises and eventually it gets back to semi-normal.

I was in agony with one shoulder--I feel for you with both. G'luck!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:11 PM

430 posts, read 1,118,254 times
I had that once right side went to doctor, therapy and chiropractor. Second time only went to chiropractor. Both went away but is wasn't easy. I can say finally that I can put both arms over my head and I still struggle on the left side because that was the last side I can get a back move of motion and get my arm around my back. It hurt and it wasn't fun and more at night. I did hot and cold therapy.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:12 PM

5,644 posts, read 12,401,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder a few years ago. It was only the left side, but the pain was really something I'd never felt before. I could not lift the arm much or put pressure on it (such as sleeping on that side).

The doctor said that there was not much they could do and it would probably disappear within 6 mos to a yr (Yikes!!). He did suggest that I limit movement in that arm and sure enough in about six mos the pain just disappeared.

Looking back, I should have gotten a second opinion, but I haven't had any problems since then. I really feel for you, can't even imagine what having it in both sides feels like. I hope they can find a way to give you some relief.
Believe it or not, what you were told is correct.

If you truly had a frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis, there is really very little that can be done and it often takes 6 months to a year or more to resolve. Some studies have shown that aggressive PT will only worsen the condition and surgery is not always helpful.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:18 PM

5,644 posts, read 12,401,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Assuming that an MRI confirms you don't have a torn rotator cuff, or a bone spur on the shoulder, there are exercises you could do at home to increase the range of motion on the shoulder. I had a torn rotator cuff and a bone spur that developed from nursing that rotator cuff so surgery to repair the tear and debride (aka file) the bone spur was the only remedy. Physical therapy without a repair is not going to work...been there done that. The tear will not repair itself and has to be done surgically, laparoscopically nowadays.

Now, for those who don't go into surgery, here are some of the things that you could do to increase your range of motion at nominal cost:

1. Most home health care stores and some pharmacies sell those door pulleys that are portable and can be attached to the top of a door. Your good arm pulls the bad arm up slowly, stretching and holding it in place. You have absolute control of how high you can go, how many repetitions (20 is suggested each time, daily). It is %X$^&-ing painful, but it works.

2. Lay down on a flat narrow bench and with about 3 lb weights on each hand, bring your arms down the side of the bench as low as you can go.

3. Stand up straight against a wall about 18 inches from it with both feet flat on the ground but apart about a foot. Keeping your arms straight, do a push up against the wall. When you are comfortable with this, do this with something lower like the back of the couch. This develops strength in your arms.

4. Hold the bathroom or kitchen counter with your frozen arm straight. Bend your knees down to as far as you can go to try to move the arm away from your body with passive motion.

All I can say is that the longer you keep that arm frozen, the more painful the therapy would be, and the less of a chance you have in regaining full range of motion. While surgery certainly was not a fun option, it was the only option I had. I could barely steer the car before then.

If the original poster truly has a frozen shoulder, all the home exercises in the world aren't going to "cure" the problem in the short term. It will often take a year or more to improve. It is helpful to try and maintain what motion remains but gains in motion will be slight at best.

Your Orthopaedic Connection: Frozen Shoulder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness