Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 12:14 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times

Advertisements

I doubt this means Ranitidine - the REAL Zantac - will come back on the market anytime soon. Companies will still be too afraid of lawsuits.

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/...016695.article

Quote:
A US judge has dismissed more than 5000 lawsuits against manufacturers of ranitidine after finding there was not enough evidence the drug was responsible for patients’ cancers. Ranitidine, originally branded as Zantac, has been on the market for almost 40 years. It is used to treat indigestion, heartburn and acid reflux, and was the first drug to make $1 billion in sales. However, in 2019 the drug was found to be unstable, producing impurities of the carcinogen N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA). This prompted recalls of the drug and its removal from the market by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in April 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 05:31 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Hopefully it will at least stop the commercials and phone calls

Old 01-29-2023, 04:26 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I doubt this means Ranitidine - the REAL Zantac - will come back on the market anytime soon. Companies will still be too afraid of lawsuits.

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/...016695.article
That's annoying. Hasn't it been confirmed that like everything causes cancer? (exaggeration for those who aren't good at spotting that). I knew it was just an over-reaction. Zantac worked great for me. Pepcid doesn't do much so I'm using Tagamet which works pretty well, just has a ton of drug interactions which so far haven't been significant.

It's just lame. I was like--really. Ranitidine causing cancer. Right. Another dumb "Oh I got cancer and have been taking ranitidine and you who also have been diagnosed with cancer have been taking it too. Must be the cause of it". It's just plain stupidity and ruining things for other people which work. At the very least, they should make waivers for people like me so we can sign off a statement saying like we won't sue anyone if we get cancer while taking Ranitidine. This kind of crap doesn't happen like once in a century and is far too annoying.

Yeah, and then they put "Zantac" out until that crap famotidine. And people are too dumb not to know the difference. Just pathetic. This world just plain sucks.

Old 01-31-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
That's annoying. Hasn't it been confirmed that like everything causes cancer? (exaggeration for those who aren't good at spotting that). I knew it was just an over-reaction. Zantac worked great for me. Pepcid doesn't do much so I'm using Tagamet which works pretty well, just has a ton of drug interactions which so far haven't been significant.

It's just lame. I was like--really. Ranitidine causing cancer. Right. Another dumb "Oh I got cancer and have been taking ranitidine and you who also have been diagnosed with cancer have been taking it too. Must be the cause of it". It's just plain stupidity and ruining things for other people which work. At the very least, they should make waivers for people like me so we can sign off a statement saying like we won't sue anyone if we get cancer while taking Ranitidine. This kind of crap doesn't happen like once in a century and is far too annoying.

Yeah, and then they put "Zantac" out until that crap famotidine. And people are too dumb not to know the difference. Just pathetic. This world just plain sucks.
The NDMA in Ranitidine isn't even a proven human carcinogen. It is a probable human carcinogen. And it's also in cheese, bacon and cured meats. So why isn't bacon banned?

Old 01-31-2023, 06:45 PM

1,063 posts, read 907,865 times
please do not give them
any ideas about bacon.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:21 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
please do not give them
any ideas about bacon.

Buy nitrite free bacon. That reduces the ways it can kill you by at least 1.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Buy nitrite free bacon. That reduces the ways it can kill you by at least 1.
Quote:
Bacon has up to 380 mcg of nitrites per 100 g of weight. It’s also incredibly high in 5.5. mg nitrites. Nitrates and nitrites tend to be pervasive in bacon production, which leads some brands to label their packaging as nitrite-free. Nitrite-free bacon was tested as having nearly double the amount of nitrates, at up to 680 mcg per 100 g.
https://www.webmd.com/diet/foods-high-in-nitrates

Sorry Charlie.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Association between ranitidine use with potential NDMA impurities and risk of cancer in Korea

In summary, no association was found between ranitidine with potential NDMA impurities and the risk of overall cancer and major individual malignancies.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-26691-0

Old 03-01-2023, 10:42 AM

547 posts, read 328,390 times
did they put the bugs on the witness stand?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7019130/

Ranitidine and finasteride inhibit the synthesis and release of trimethylamine N-oxide and mitigates its cardiovascular and renal damage through modulating gut microbiota

Old 03-04-2023, 07:50 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
The FDA banned the sale of tryptophan (an essential amino acid) for 11 years after a few illnesses were linked to a single overseas supplier.

Thank God there is no Big Pharma product currently being pushed that has a well established dangerous profile and our regulatory system looks the other way for reasons that are only clear if you follow the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness