Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 08:13 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Had it this winter. The home tests don't seem to work. I tested three times and finally got a positive day 4 after symptoms. Could be that the home tests were expired. Whole family had it which is why i knew I did. Wife had it after me and didn't get a positive test until day 3/4 as well (after a few tests)

Symptoms were the same as when i had it 2 years ago (this is my 2nd time). Aches/chills/headache and 102 fever on day 1. Day 2 and 3 I felt way better but had a 100-102 fever, but I could do things fine. Took me about 5 days to get all my energy back. Overall for me it wasn't a big deal. I was in my mid 40's and have not gotten any of the recent shots after the initial 3.

This is the 2nd time my family has had covid and everyone had symptoms identical to the first time we had it 2 years ago. My 6 year old had a fever for 1/2 a day and that was it. My 11-year old had a bad stomach ache and fever, and my wife was in bed and slept pretty much 24-36 hours straight. Pretty much the same for each of us as the first go-around. Intensity of symptoms was about the same.
All the covid test sent to us by the goverment are expired....yet they tell us they are ok to use. What a waste of our money.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:16 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
All the covid test sent to us by the goverment are expired....yet they tell us they are ok to use. What a waste of our money.
It's not a waste. What would've been a waste was if they told everyone they're expired and to throw them away, and everyone did, and they were gone forever.

Thankfully they announced the extension of the expiration date BEFORE that date came around, so everyone who had them knew they didn't have to throw them away and they could still use them.

That's like - the complete and polar opposite of waste.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:19 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post

Yeah. They were unreliable. So many negative tests before getting a positive on day 4. That was true for myself, my wife and my son. None tested positive on day 1/2 despite fever and other symptoms.

We never had any cough. I had a minor stuffy nose.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:39 AM

982 posts, read 607,459 times
I have had a cold/sinus thing for 2 and a half weeks then my husband on a Friday felt "off" and woke up with chills and severe bone/body aches, dizziness, nausea and fever so was in bed pretty much all day on Saturday. I decided to test him when he got up one of the times and it was positive so I tested myself, also positive. He felt better on Sunday and slowly got his strength back.

We tested positive on the following Tuesday and again on Friday. We just tested negative yesterday, Sunday, so we are now feel "let out of jail". I never had his symptoms but he now has some congestion slowly getting better but mine is still hanging around. Who knows if I have just a cold and was asymptomatic for COVID and he got my cold.

Just strange. We used the original test kits that were sent to us and I had ordered another set that was more current and used both of the old and new test to come up with positive results. This is the first we had COVID and we were vaccinated with the first shot and booster, that's it.

Old 01-29-2024, 09:48 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
The Covid obsession is getting old. It really doesn't matter WHICH respiratory virus you have: Covid, RSV, flu, common cold, etc. If you have a respiratory virus, stay home, rest, and don't spread it around.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:14 PM

4,543 posts, read 3,744,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I got a virus Dec 23 that lasted strongly 3 weeks. I know others with similar long-term symptoms.
I hardly go out to be exposed but holidays mean group events so...
Never tested for Covid because no fever but it is/was a very bad virus, bad mucus, very bad cough.
I've had all shots,Covid, flu,RSV
Let's call it "no name virus" it's real

I tested Covid+ for New Years and I had no fever - covid frequently is presented without a fever these days. I had everything else - very painful sore throat, thick mucus, sinus congestion. So you could've had Covid easily also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The Covid obsession is getting old. It really doesn't matter WHICH respiratory virus you have: Covid, RSV, flu, common cold, etc. If you have a respiratory virus, stay home, rest, and don't spread it around.

I agree. But the issue is in many areas, if you have Covid, you are expected to mask up if you go outside or when indoors with your family. With other viruses such as common cold, nobody cares and they go about their normal day. Both Covid and common cold could look "mild" and allow you to function about your daily schedule.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:22 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
I tested Covid+ for New Years and I had no fever - covid frequently is presented without a fever these days. I had everything else - very painful sore throat, thick mucus, sinus congestion. So you could've had Covid easily also.

I agree. But the issue is in many areas, if you have Covid, you are expected to mask up if you go outside or when indoors with your family. With other viruses such as common cold, nobody cares and they go about their normal day. Both Covid and common cold could look "mild" and allow you to function about your daily schedule.
Well that's a problem with all the people who don't care.

If I'm sick, I'll either stay home, OR I'll keep my distance when I'm out and/or wear a mask (depending on whether keeping a distance isn't possible/practical in the circumstance).

If other people refuse to do that, then they're the ones to blame for making the rest of us sick. Maybe you should be concentrating on changing THEM, instead of excusing them or allowing them to justify their bad manners and entitled attitudes.

Back when there was no COVID, if people had a cold that was bad enough, they'd stay home. Period. They wouldn't go to work, they'd call out sick. They wouldn't go to school, mom would call the school and tell them her kid is sick and is staying home. If a kid was in school and was coughing and sneezing all over his classmates, the teacher would send them to the nurse, who would call the parent and tell them to pick up their sick kid. People wouldn't go grocery shopping when they were sick. They wouldn't go out drinking with friends because it's Friday night, if they were sick. They wouldn't invite their pals over for the weekly poker game, if they were sick.

But now that we've had COVID, everyone and their brother is outright dismissing all the OTHER sicknesses that once upon a time, people would give you funny looks about if you showed up in public with obvious symptoms.

Old 01-29-2024, 01:50 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
My parents currently have Covid. Dad is on day 6 and mom is on day 3 of symptom onset.

Their symptoms are loss of taste, a terrible headache that ibuprofen doesn't touch, diarrhea, chills, fever, skin soreness, cough, runny nose, joint aches, and mom says she feels "heat" in her knees so I think she's also experiencing inflammation.

My only fear is that it could cause pneumonia for them. Covid damaged by MIL's lungs so badly in early 2020 that she's on oxygen 24 hours and will be for the remainder of her life.

Old 01-29-2024, 02:01 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It's not a waste. What would've been a waste was if they told everyone they're expired and to throw them away, and everyone did, and they were gone forever.

Thankfully they announced the extension of the expiration date BEFORE that date came around, so everyone who had them knew they didn't have to throw them away and they could still use them.

That's like - the complete and polar opposite of waste.
What good are they,if they don`t work. Like BostonMike said, they are not reliable. If the test are still good, why do they have a past experation date on them. Mine were already expired, when they were mailed to me. People have to take 3 or 4 test, before one comes back positive. People are getting false results.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:08 PM

4,543 posts, read 3,744,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Well that's a problem with all the people who don't care.

If I'm sick, I'll either stay home, OR I'll keep my distance when I'm out and/or wear a mask (depending on whether keeping a distance isn't possible/practical in the circumstance).

If other people refuse to do that, then they're the ones to blame for making the rest of us sick. Maybe you should be concentrating on changing THEM, instead of excusing them or allowing them to justify their bad manners and entitled attitudes.

Back when there was no COVID, if people had a cold that was bad enough, they'd stay home. Period. They wouldn't go to work, they'd call out sick. They wouldn't go to school, mom would call the school and tell them her kid is sick and is staying home. If a kid was in school and was coughing and sneezing all over his classmates, the teacher would send them to the nurse, who would call the parent and tell them to pick up their sick kid. People wouldn't go grocery shopping when they were sick. They wouldn't go out drinking with friends because it's Friday night, if they were sick. They wouldn't invite their pals over for the weekly poker game, if they were sick.

But now that we've had COVID, everyone and their brother is outright dismissing all the OTHER sicknesses that once upon a time, people would give you funny looks about if you showed up in public with obvious symptoms.

Where am I excusing them for their behavior? And who is going to change who?

And all I'm saying is that MOST people do not have the luxury of just staying home and resting. Not everyone has a nanny, you have to got to school sometimes for pickup/drop off. Groceries need to be bought. Vacation days are not plentiful or you may not even get vacation. There are all sorts of things that need to be done during the day and just because you have the Common cold, doesn't stop anyone. I haven't seen it. People are now treating Covid the same as nobody gets tested.

Sure, if you have a 103 degree fever and can't stand up straight, they might stay at home. But not for mild symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness