Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 03:11 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
ouch!! Did you see a podiatrist at all that specializes in foot problems?

Don't go to the CHinese pedicure places either!! Too many fungal infections from those places. THey never wash the tubs out completely or their tools!
I won't. I can't handle the shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 03:16 PM

250 posts, read 335,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
For some time now, I've been having an infection on my toe on my right foot. I went to the doctors many times before. Part of my toe is red and can bleed at times.

Excluding going to the doctors (I don't trust them) and getting my toe cut off, are there any suggestions on getting rid of my toe infection?
I'm not a Doctor. Hydrogen peroxide, epsom salts and pretend you trust doctors and just go, before a $1,000 problem becomes $10,000 plus five toes. The longer you wait the more it will cost, monetarily and physically.

Even illegal aliens get medical help first, payment arrangements second, so there is no monetary excuse not to go. If your distrust of physicians is more valuable to you than your body, go to a naturopath for help, but with your stated condition, they might look at you and tell you to hit the ER.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:18 PM

335 posts, read 1,028,889 times
Quote:
I figured it was an ingrown toe nail. I cut that piece off.
It is most likely bacterial, if you cut the part of the nail off most likely you cut the surrounding tissue and if the clippers were not clean, there you go a cess pool for infection to breed.
The course of action would depend highly on how long you have had this festering condition? Have you ried bacitracin? (Neosporin) This usually works great but it depends how long you have had the infection.
I am assuming that your symptoms are redness, swelling and tender to the touch? Is there any discharge? Pus?
If you do not want to go seek medical attention, I suggest soaking it in hot water (as hot as you can stand it) clean it with Hydrogen peroxide then apply the Neosporin and put a clean bandage on. Do not wear shoes at this point because the friction caused could aggravate the infection more, sandals would be a better choice. Let the wound air our at least 2x a day then repeat the process of soaking, cleansing and applying the antibiotic ointment (neosporin) and honestly if this does not seem to look better after 7 days, you may haveto go to the doctor.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:24 AM

428 posts, read 2,440,060 times
You don't trust doctors? That's okay, but who do you think is going to cut your toe off? Don't cut your toe off to spite your doctor, go to a podiatrist (who sees your condition every day), and listen to what he tells you.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:31 PM

308 posts, read 1,617,173 times
Quote:
I couldn't handle the shots in my toe. And I was an ingrown toe nail.
Pulling the ENTIRE toenail off sometimes helps. However, some individuals may continue to have problems if the toenail continues to grow into the side(s) of the toe. If you have a "full" toenail now, you may wish to try slightly lifting the edge of the toenail part that is digging into your toe and placing a small piece of cotton gauze there (between the toe & the toenail, so that it keeps the toenail lifted up and prevents the toenail from digging into your flesh). Wrap it with some medical tape to keep it in place. Try to go without shoes or open toed shoes if/when you must wear them as long as possible. As previously suggested, soak your foot at least 1x per day in a warm water solution containing epsom salts. Once your toenail grows out so that it is not digging into your toe and causing problems, then keep it trimmed BUT NOT TOO SHORT or you risk experiencing the same problem at a later time. Don't "pick" at your toenails either--ripping them off (instead of trimming them with clippers) can also cause or exacerbate the problem.

I had problems with an ingrown toenail for an extended period of time, followed the above, and within 1 week, my toe was feeling (and looking) considerably better; 2-3 weeks, my toe was almost good as new; and a bit over a month later, everything was just dandy, and I've not had any problems with it in years. Granted, dependent upon the situation, this may not help everyone, but if you're unwilling to go to a doc (as I wasn't when I first started having problems with it), then it certainly doesn't hurt (too much) to try what you can.

Oooor, you can do what my brothers do and simply cut off your entire toenail every couple of months. I like my method considerably better.

G'luck!

Old 06-13-2008, 04:09 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
Pulling the ENTIRE toenail off sometimes helps. However, some individuals may continue to have problems if the toenail continues to grow into the side(s) of the toe. If you have a "full" toenail now, you may wish to try slightly lifting the edge of the toenail part that is digging into your toe and placing a small piece of cotton gauze there (between the toe & the toenail, so that it keeps the toenail lifted up and prevents the toenail from digging into your flesh). Wrap it with some medical tape to keep it in place. Try to go without shoes or open toed shoes if/when you must wear them as long as possible. As previously suggested, soak your foot at least 1x per day in a warm water solution containing epsom salts. Once your toenail grows out so that it is not digging into your toe and causing problems, then keep it trimmed BUT NOT TOO SHORT or you risk experiencing the same problem at a later time. Don't "pick" at your toenails either--ripping them off (instead of trimming them with clippers) can also cause or exacerbate the problem.

I had problems with an ingrown toenail for an extended period of time, followed the above, and within 1 week, my toe was feeling (and looking) considerably better; 2-3 weeks, my toe was almost good as new; and a bit over a month later, everything was just dandy, and I've not had any problems with it in years. Granted, dependent upon the situation, this may not help everyone, but if you're unwilling to go to a doc (as I wasn't when I first started having problems with it), then it certainly doesn't hurt (too much) to try what you can.

Oooor, you can do what my brothers do and simply cut off your entire toenail every couple of months. I like my method considerably better.

G'luck!
I guess I would. My toe is starting to smell like a corpse.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:19 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
You certainly need to see a doctor. If is is a fungus, Vick's Vaporub is said to be very good at clearing that up.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:49 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
Spinning the same old broken record here, but tea tree oil or oil or oregano .. should clear it right up!

Find it in the health food stores. Both are great fungal bacteria fighters.

The oregano oil might not be as drying as the tea tree oil .. and doesn't smell as quite as strong.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:35 PM

119 posts, read 546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
You certainly need to see a doctor. If is is a fungus, Vick's Vaporub is said to be very good at clearing that up.
Interesting, I'd heard about the footbath with Listerine for toenail infections, but not the Vaporub idea.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:12 PM

198 posts, read 354,556 times
Quote:
I figured it was an ingrown toe nail. I cut that piece off.
It will grow back. Having an ingrown toe nail removed is not the end of the world...neglecting to do anything will cause some serious problems. Get it fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness