Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 01:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times

Advertisements

Navigating the current healthcare system requires a high degree of learning, research, and patience. Urgent care facilities may or may not have doctors available, most will have nurse practitioners. Insurance companies don't like to pay for an emergency room when an urgent care will do, so you have to start there unless you are in really bad shape. I went to an urgent care one time and they did an IV, and determined that I needed hospitalization. My wife could have driven me the 7 miles to the hospital but because of the IV I had to go by ambulance. Of course, the insurance refused my claim for the $1,400 ride. It took several phone calls to the ambulance Company, insurance company, and urgent care to get it paid. I have type 2 diabetes and recently started to take my blood glucose. With my insurance the machine at the pharmacy was only $30, but for 100 test strips it was $110, and that was with the insurance paying 80%! Later I found that I can get the exact same 100 strips for $29 at Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 08:25 PM

994 posts, read 538,061 times
Doctors kill as many people as they heal. These days, things are mostly a roll of the dice, I've had exactly one good doctor in the last 10 years. My preference is usually for a nurse practitioner because they will listen and actually let you contribute to figuring out what is best. So many doctors just will not listen, I've fired a lot of them for that very reason. It's MY health, and I want answers to questions, and different treatment options.

Having worked in health care, I largely blame managed care for this debacle. There were times on our in-patient orthopedic rehab ward at Savannah Memorial Hospital that a patient's insurance would only pay for 15 minutes of rehab. You can imagine how much you can do in that short a time.

We were on that ward 5 days a week and one Saturday a mo from 7 AM (one hr before we started, to get ahead of the paper work) until 5 PM, almost every lunch was a working lunch w/ someone giving a presentation, and we often stayed an extra hr after work to finish up the new paper work. And management was still instituting cutbacks and freezes on hiring. Being a Memorial hospital, we actually had it better than many other hospitals.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:43 AM

50,842 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Doctors kill as many people as they heal. These days, things are mostly a roll of the dice, I've had exactly one good doctor in the last 10 years. My preference is usually for a nurse practitioner because they will listen and actually let you contribute to figuring out what is best. So many doctors just will not listen, I've fired a lot of them for that very reason. It's MY health, and I want answers to questions, and different treatment options.

Having worked in health care, I largely blame managed care for this debacle. There were times on our in-patient orthopedic rehab ward at Savannah Memorial Hospital that a patient's insurance would only pay for 15 minutes of rehab. You can imagine how much you can do in that short a time.

We were on that ward 5 days a week and one Saturday a mo from 7 AM (one hr before we started, to get ahead of the paper work) until 5 PM, almost every lunch was a working lunch w/ someone giving a presentation, and we often stayed an extra hr after work to finish up the new paper work. And management was still instituting cutbacks and freezes on hiring. Being a Memorial hospital, we actually had it better than many other hospitals.
I think you need to substantiate that with some data.

Old 02-14-2024, 11:02 AM

7,265 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
Doctors kill as many people as they heal.
Life guards and firemen do "save" lives...Doctors, at best, delay death in most instances....Everybody dies. Nobody gets out of this alive. The only mystery is when and how.

There was a famous study published a decade or so ago claiming medical mistakes account for some large percentage of deaths. They were working under the very false assumption, as does the American System of Injustice, that all diseases have cures and that all cures must work 100% of the time or else, they conclude, a "mistake" must have been made....Sick people are going to die without care, so any care that doesn't work is just Mother Nature doing her thing. Argue with her about it.

I do agree with the rest of your post.

Old 02-14-2024, 03:28 PM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:

Ok, I give up. Why is a "Memorial" hospital better off than other hospitals?

Old 02-15-2024, 06:24 AM

3,443 posts, read 2,420,258 times
Quote:
Doctors kill as many people as they heal. These days, things are mostly a roll of the dice, I've had exactly one good doctor in the last 10 years.
So, if your above statements were true, then we'd be reading the post of a corpse. You've had more than one doctor - and doctors kill as many people as they heal. The odds of you surviving is pretty low and the more doctors you have, the better the odds that you'd be in a grave somewhere by now.

Therefore...
You must be incorrect. Doctors heal many more people than they kill. And it is your perception that's defective, not the medical field.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:26 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,938,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The last time I went to urgent care (about a year ago) I had broken my left upper arm! I was pretty surprised by that but I was seen quickly and efficiently. They referred me quickly and all went as planned there. I went to some PT and that went well too. No complaints.

I do think that as we get older, things can become more serious more quickly, and we have an aging population in many areas. For instance, I think I probably fell and broke my arm because I am older (62).
I am headed to 91 and now two good events.
Unfortunately for me was lock box for front door after wife's death,police as they left said are you alone I said yes and I said yes,he said get a lock box.
My Pension provider,Nokia on new contract has provided us with lifetime First Alert for life free,these are programed for falls. tied in to 911.

Old 02-15-2024, 11:09 AM

7,265 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Locks only keep honest people out. No need to lock a door and keep first responders out.

Life Alert-- Isn't that the one with the commercial--"Help! I've fallen down and can't reach my beer!"

Old 02-16-2024, 08:41 AM

50,842 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Locks only keep honest people out. No need to lock a door and keep first responders out.

Life Alert-- Isn't that the one with the commercial--"Help! I've fallen down and can't reach my beer!"
Are you aware what a lock box is?

Old 02-16-2024, 09:06 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Urgent care? This has been perfect for our adult son with special needs who still resides at home. Wait to see a doctor at the clinic for an ear infection? 10 days. Wait to see Nurse Practitioner? Some time today. We generally practice homeopathic medicine, and the urgent care fills in the gap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness