Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2024, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Early America
3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Reputation: 7867

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I know a lot of people think "adults should not drink milk" though I realize you didn't actually say that.
Right, I didn't say that and wasn't even thinking it. I was thinking of all the research on high milk consumption and the numerous possibilities on health in both the short and long term, and the recommended intake limit. Any healthy food consumed in large quantities on a regular basis can be harmful but what may be too high for one person may not necessarily be too high for the next. Depends on the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I never answered your question about the RXBARS. They aren't bad. A little higher in sodium than one would wish, but I took one with me yesterday when I had an early doctor appointment and then had to run some errands, and ate it in my car with a bottle of water to wash it down. Another time I ate one to keep me going until I could get my real meal made, because I forgot to eat and got started making it kind of late..
Good, I'm glad you found another protein source to help you get through recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2024, 02:34 PM
 
Location: The Bubble, Florida
3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Reputation: 10024
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The daily upper limit for calcium for adults 51 years and older is 2,000 mg. That is around eight and a half 8oz. glasses of whole milk. Of course that is not taking into consideration calcium from other dietary sources.
So let's do some math:

There are 8 ounces in a cup of whole milk.
There are 8 grams of fat per cup of milk - 1 gram of fat per ounce.

8.5 8-oz glasses of milk = 68 ounces of whole milk.

68 ounces * 1 gram of fat per oz = 68 grams of fat.

Depending on whose "healthy diet for people who don't need to lose weight but just need to be healthy" guide you look at, the average person consuming a 1500 calorie day, should be getting between 58-67 grams of fat per day.

So that means anyone who wants to get a reasonable amount of fat in their diet, should NOT consume 8.5 8-oz glasses of whole milk per day. And in fact, if they get any fat from ANY other kind of food during the day, they should drink significantly less than 8.5 8-oz glasses of whole milk per day.

That's a LOT of fat.

To compare: there's 3.3 grams of fat in one strip of bacon. So counting only the fat content, that 8.5 8-oz glasses of milk has the fat equivalent of 19 strips of bacon. Per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2024, 02:47 PM
 
Location: clown world
547 posts, read 326,311 times
Reputation: 863
some clean bars to consider. check out the ingredients

https://www.larabar.com/


here's one example - only two ingredients -- dates and cashews


https://www.larabar.com/our-products.../cashew-cookie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2024, 04:12 PM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Reputation: 12699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
So let's do some math:

There are 8 ounces in a cup of whole milk.
There are 8 grams of fat per cup of milk - 1 gram of fat per ounce.

8.5 8-oz glasses of milk = 68 ounces of whole milk.

68 ounces * 1 gram of fat per oz = 68 grams of fat.

Depending on whose "healthy diet for people who don't need to lose weight but just need to be healthy" guide you look at, the average person consuming a 1500 calorie day, should be getting between 58-67 grams of fat per day.

So that means anyone who wants to get a reasonable amount of fat in their diet, should NOT consume 8.5 8-oz glasses of whole milk per day. And in fact, if they get any fat from ANY other kind of food during the day, they should drink significantly less than 8.5 8-oz glasses of whole milk per day.

That's a LOT of fat.

To compare: there's 3.3 grams of fat in one strip of bacon. So counting only the fat content, that 8.5 8-oz glasses of milk has the fat equivalent of 19 strips of bacon. Per day.
Geez, I did all the math for calcium. If you wanted to talk about fat, I would've used skim milk. The calcium numbers are similar and no fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2024, 04:55 PM
 
21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Reputation: 36894
If OP needs to gain weight, she's not going to do that on low-fat, no-sugar foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2024, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Middle of the valley
48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Reputation: 73728
I think too much of anything is basically unhealthy. From too much of the same nutrients, to it taking the place of food rich in other nutrients you need.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2024, 11:22 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Reputation: 2438
Most protein shakes are heavily processed and will usually contain some artificial sugar (to increase the taste, but still keep the drink a high protein food, eg 30-40% of calories come from protein).

I like MRE protein shakes. 230 kCal, and 40g of protein. That's 70% calories from protein, if anyone is counting. However, it does contain artificial sugar, maltodextrin and sucralose. So I don't know what to tell you except why are you avoiding artificial sugar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2024, 08:23 AM
 
21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Reputation: 36894
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
So I don't know what to tell you except why are you avoiding artificial sugar?
OP believes it makes her sick. She also doesn't want any or too much REAL sugar or any artificial ingredients; only "whole foods."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2024, 11:30 AM
 
3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Reputation: 2438
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
OP believes it makes her sick. She also doesn't want any or too much REAL sugar or any artificial ingredients; only "whole foods."
I don't think there is a protein shake that constitutes a "whole food." She could then make her own, such as blending meat in a blender, but it would be nasty lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2024, 11:48 AM
 
11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Reputation: 24269
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I don't think there is a protein shake that constitutes a "whole food." She could then make her own, such as blending meat in a blender, but it would be nasty lol.

You could read the thread and then you would know what I was asking and why and some of the conclusions I reached during the course of the thread. The member who answered your question hasn't a clue, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top