Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 08:07 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Just can't eat enough food to get all the nutrients I need. Nothing to do with my ability to chew. Doctor wants me on one meal replacement shake a day in addition to regular meals.
Is it possible to gradually incease the amount of whole foods that you can eat instead? Whole foods are preferable to these ultraprocessed shakes.

If you can get a shake down, you should have room to gradually increase by a few bites, no?

Quote:
I need a meal replacement formula, preferably already made up, that does not contain artificial sweeteners.
Maybe you could tell your doctor about your concerns and ask what he/she suggests.

Or, maybe you shouldn't listen to doctors that recommend ultraprocessed foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 08:13 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
What about Carnation Instant breakfast drinks? Haven't had those since I was a kid but remember them being delicious. Looks like they have several different kinds now.

Old 02-19-2024, 08:24 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
What about Carnation Instant breakfast drinks? Haven't had those since I was a kid but remember them being delicious. Looks like they have several different kinds now.
Just make sure you're not lactose-intolerant. Those did a number on me!

How does the doctor know you're not getting enough "nutrition"? Simply because you're losing weight (that could be due to any number of things, including simply not consuming enough calories of any sort), or does some specific deficit show up in your bloodwork?

I agree with asking his or her advice on this since he or she recommended it.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:40 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
No such thing as a meal replacement shake.

Been there, done that, I was miserable sucking down liquid calories.

A meal "supplement" is the correct team.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
No such thing as a meal replacement shake.

Been there, done that, I was miserable sucking down liquid calories.

A meal "supplement" is the correct team.
Wrong. Ensure (and its equivalents) provides complete nutrition. People can - and do - live many years or even all their lives on it. There are plenty of people on Jpeg/feeding tubes who consume nothing else.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:44 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Just can't eat enough food to get all the nutrients I need.
Another thought, other than, or in addition to, gradually increasing the foods presently consumed:

Review the nutritional value of the foods in the present diet to see if any of them can be replaced with foods you like of higher nutrient density. This is an easy way to increase nutrients in each meal consumed.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:51 AM

I actually used to struggle with being "too skinny" when I was young and went so far as to take "Wate-On" liquid and tablets (this would be in the '70s) and drink "Nutrament" (the forerunner of Ensure) for easy extra calories; not by doctor's orders, but of my own accord (I wanted more boobs and butt as a teenager). But I was busy running around and never had much of an appetite back then; food didn't particularly interest me. Now I see all too clearly how easy it is to simply overeat some delicious desserts and junk food and gain weight without even trying.

Is loss of appetite part of your problem? Sorry to hear, by the way.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:32 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
I drink one 30g protein shake everyday. I choose Premier Protein shakes, or Fairlife shakes. Both have 2g sugars but I am not sure if that real or fake sugars.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I drink one 30g protein shake everyday. I choose Premier Protein shakes, or Fairlife shakes. Both have 2g sugars but I am not sure if that real or fake sugars.
I took the liberty of researching Premier Protein shakes for the OP. Contains sucralose. It's a no-go.

Old 02-19-2024, 01:42 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Thank you both for the suggestions. I will check them out. Protein is the primary need, but I just can't eat enough real food to make up the lack of nutrition in general that I need right now.

I have been unable ever to take vitamins in pill form. Any kind I've tried, and I've tried many over the years, give me bad stomach aches. No matter when I take them.

So you can't tolerate pill vitamins, but you are okay when you drink them?

I think your going to have to come up with your recipe to make your shakes at home.

Or buy straight whey protein (that's it, nothing else), and then buy either powdered or liquid vitamins, and add what ever fruit, veggies or sugar you want.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness