Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 07:39 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times

Advertisements

Panera now markets a line of refrigerated soups that are delicious. Better than what they sell in-house. Our corner market sells some, and I just checked one in my fridge to see all the ingredients are natural. I can highly recommend the autumn squash, and it would be easy to add some protein powder then thin it with milk. Looks like Walmart is carrying them. Ranked 5 stars by consumers. The soups, not Walmart.

Note - In the days before blenders, my grandmother used what I think they called an egg beater to make shakes and eggnogs. Just pop the basic ingredients in a deep bowl and turn its little handle. Kind of like an electric mixer without worrying the liquid will fly all over the place! Curious I looked: egg beaters still are made: OXO Good Grips Egg Beater on Amazon.

Last edited by EveryLady; 02-20-2024 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 11:14 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Master View Post
So I don't follow you at all.

All THIS and you don't want to use a blender to make a smoothie? But you "puree" home grown tomatoes.

BTW you don't need a blender especially for protein powder.

You can use a hand immersion device or a $10.00 frother type thing or a glass jar with a lid and shake for protein powder.

Cereal? Triscuits? Cheese? Pasta? Seriously? yet "Problem is, even our whole foods are not as nutritious".

I'm getting that the original post was just a moment of contemplation about changing your diet.

In the diet business there's a funny similarity. People say they're starving but what they really mean is they want pizza not vegetables.
What I have described is a very simple uncomplicated way of eating as much whole foods as possible, non-GMO Project Verified, or at least organic, whenever possible as well. Then I gradually stopped eating hardly anything but was so sick I didn't realize how little I was eating, and was just attributing it to the tremendous stress I have been under at my job for the past 18 months, and didn't realize I was seriously ill either, until I ended up in hospital.

The puree tomatoes are a gift from a friend. And all it means is fresh picked tomatoes from my friend's tomato garden, cooked down to liquid form in a slow cooker and frozen in a gallon freezer bag. The same way I make my bone broth soup base.

I find blenders noisy, messy, and complicated to clean. I have one but I rarely use it. I have to wear noise protection covers on my ears when I use it, and those hurt, too.

Have no idea what you are confused about since you have followed my thread from the beginning. Shall I recap?

As part of my recovery after my release from hospital, my PCP recommended Ensure meal replacement shakes to help me get the protein and other nutrition I needed as my health and appetite slowly return. I was dutifully drinking one a day for over a week before I realized they were causing me serious discomfort and digestive issues, and then realized they contain sucralose, an artificial sweetener, something I strive to avoid.

Not to mention all the other junk that might be affecting me too, which I didn't think about until after I started this thread. I'm on a lot of medications now too, that may have side effects. I was sick and I was scared, and just trying to get better. So I took to c-d to see if anyone had any ideas. I did find another "shake" but while it doesn't have artificial sweeteners or Stevia, it still has a lot of junk, and in the course of the discussions in this thread I came to realize that even without the artificial sweeteners, I am likely to still have digestive problems with these shakes.

I was given lots of helpful suggestions and ideas, and I will likely come back and reread the kind and helpful posts in this thread as I continue on my journey back to health.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:45 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
When your eating requirements become so restrictive that you have problems eating enough to MAINTAIN health, you need to reevaluate your priorities.

Please take this kindly, but it almost sounds as if you have an eating disorder.

Something to consider, and hope your health improves.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-21-2024, 11:53 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Protein powder, 1 scoop:

https://paleopro.com/products/paleo-protein-powder

Cocoa, 1 Tbsp:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (2pts)

https://www.amazon.com/Scharffen-Ber...dp/B00CQ805IG/ (1 pt)

Unsweetened Almond Milk, 8 oz:

https://silk.com/plant-based-product...et-almondmilk/

1 Small (less than 100g) banana

A few blueberries

2 Tbsp Raw, unfiltered honey

1 Tbsp Pistachio or Cashew butter

Nutribullet

All natural, no sugar, no dairy, tons of nutrients, 30g protein, very filling

Silly me! Here I was thinking honey was a form of sugar, and thought bananas were loaded with sugar!

Old 02-21-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When your eating requirements become so restrictive that you have problems eating enough to MAINTAIN health, you need to reevaluate your priorities.

Please take this kindly, but it almost sounds as if you have an eating disorder.

I have severe sensory intolerance disorders. Someone mentioned misophonia in this thread, which yes, I have. Or maybe they said hypersomia, which I also have. Noise, smells, tastes, visual (certain lighting, can't look at dots or paisley or stripes for example), even sense of touch are all affected, sense of smell is the worst.

This morning I was so uncomfortable by the sound of the radio they had playing in the doctor's office waiting room I had to hold my hands over my ears until I was called in. It was louder than usual and the music was just grating and bashing at my hearing. Thankfully they never make you wait very long. And at least there were no bad smells. There's my gratitude. How would I have plugged my nose closed and covered my ears at the same time lol.

Because of these issues there just isn't much I like the taste of. I like foods to be very bland and plain. It's not a problem, generally speaking. I like what I like and eat what I like.

The work issues that had a severe impact on my environmental illness/MCS/hypersomia and misophonia/hyperacusis became the problem. And I was just trying to push through you know? 18 months until retirement, I just kept telling myself, I just had to get through it, I could do it, I could do it.

Last summer my I lost my doctor, who was only just starting to understand my issues and explore ways to help me. The whole practice closed, and I had to find someone new, new practice, new primary care, a complete stranger. Not only is she new to me, she is new to the area and new to the practice, she doesn't know me and never heard of my conditions. All she can see is anxiety. I think the potential is there though, for her to be willing to learn and try to understand, but she is new too, and overwhelmed herself. Soon I will be returning to work. Hopefully this time around they'll be a little more flexible in accommodating my disability.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Silly me! Here I was thinking honey was a form of sugar, and thought bananas were loaded with sugar!

Fruits are often high in sugar. But it is unprocessed "natural" sugars, which are balanced out by the other nutrients and fiber benefits. Some fruits, such as bananas, and apples, even provide prebiotcs.

That's why they tell you fruit juice, even "pure juice", is bad for you. You get all the sugars, but none of the benefits of the whole fruit.

Milk is also high in natural sugar. Not really a problem. It's added processed sugars that are the problem, and they provide no nutritional benefit.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:23 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
catsmom21 is coming from a place of being frightened by what has happened to her and she is trying to parse out and think through food/nutrition ideas. She wants to stay with pure foods and no additives.

I don't see her as having an eating disorder but more of a "what to do" in her situation and with the medication she has to take.

She has certain things she does not want to do, like use a blender. That is just her preference.

But when you are unsure and scared, you often need to take information and sort it out and over time take consideration of what the information is telling you. I beleive she is trying to gather information and apply it to her situation. The bits and pieces that strike a cord will be what she takes away and will consider or use.

I bet a lot of what she is not considering now, or doesn't seem to fit her situation, could be something she thinks through and decides is something to try or sounds better later. I think everyone's ideas are helpful to get her started on a path that will steady up for her to be able to help her eat to become healthy again.

catsmom21, doing some reading or watching some sound videos on nutrition might also make things make sense to help you!

Old 02-21-2024, 04:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I have severe sensory intolerance disorders. Someone mentioned misophonia in this thread, which yes, I have. Or maybe they said hypersomia, which I also have. Noise, smells, tastes, visual (certain lighting, can't look at dots or paisley or stripes for example), even sense of touch are all affected, sense of smell is the worst.

This morning I was so uncomfortable by the sound of the radio they had playing in the doctor's office waiting room I had to hold my hands over my ears until I was called in. It was louder than usual and the music was just grating and bashing at my hearing. Thankfully they never make you wait very long. And at least there were no bad smells. There's my gratitude. How would I have plugged my nose closed and covered my ears at the same time lol.

Because of these issues there just isn't much I like the taste of. I like foods to be very bland and plain. It's not a problem, generally speaking. I like what I like and eat what I like.

The work issues that had a severe impact on my environmental illness/MCS/hypersomia and misophonia/hyperacusis became the problem. And I was just trying to push through you know? 18 months until retirement, I just kept telling myself, I just had to get through it, I could do it, I could do it.

Last summer my I lost my doctor, who was only just starting to understand my issues and explore ways to help me. The whole practice closed, and I had to find someone new, new practice, new primary care, a complete stranger. Not only is she new to me, she is new to the area and new to the practice, she doesn't know me and never heard of my conditions. All she can see is anxiety. I think the potential is there though, for her to be willing to learn and try to understand, but she is new too, and overwhelmed herself. Soon I will be returning to work. Hopefully this time around they'll be a little more flexible in accommodating my disability.
Thank you for explaining your illness, this is new to me too. Have you looked for an online support group of people who have the same illness? They may have the best ideas.

And I'm just curious, of course you don't have to answer, but what happened that cause you to need hospitalization? Were you not eating enough?

Old 02-21-2024, 07:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I agree; sounds like you were essentially starving yourself to death in an effort to "eat healthy" or non-GMO whatever etc., etc. A few Triscuits and nuts is not adequate nutrition, however "whole foods" it may be. No wonder your doctor suggested a meal replacement, but he should be getting you help to overcome your food fears and aversions.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:32 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
The OP is seeking easy ways to increase nutrition to aid in recovery from illness. Doc suggested she consume a meal replacement shake daily in addition to her regular meals but it sounds like that is off the table. She is too tired and sick to handle much food prep at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I appreciate all the suggestions, including the ones that have to be mixed, blended or make your own, but I'm just too tired and sick to be doing all that, not to mention all the trial and error of it all.

I need easy right now. Eggs, scrambled or boiled, or take some homemade soup out of the freezer, roast a chicken, boil potatoes, put together a salad, cheese and triscuit crackers, Post Shredded Wheat and Bran cereal with some kind of fruit thrown in. Pasta now and then.
Is it possible to increase your intake of these foods you are able to prepare by increasing serving sizes or adding in an extra meal? I realize it's not fully balanced or varied but the extra nutrients would help your recovery.

Quote:
I just picked up some bars (called RXBARS)
Did these work out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness