Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 08:56 AM

21,887 posts, read 12,991,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
No, she didn't
Yes, she did. Clearly wary of very sweet things -- real or not -- and bananas and honey are about as sweet as they come for "whole foods."

This sounds like a health-food mission out of control, as it's become so restrictive as to endanger nutrition...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 10:31 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,073,538 times
The only thing that stood out to me was the consumption of almost 3 gallons of milk per week. More than three 8oz cups of milk per day is considered excessive and can lead to health problems. Too much of anything can cause health problems. One gallon is 16 cups. Consuming almost 3 gallons per week is more than twice the recommended safe amount.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:42 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
The only thing that stood out to me was the consumption of almost 3 gallons of milk per week. More than three 8oz cups of milk per day is considered excessive and can lead to health problems. Too much of anything can cause health problems. One gallon is 16 cups. Consuming almost 3 gallons per week is more than twice the recommended safe amount.
Three cups of milk a day can cause health problems? You can't be too safe out there. What exactly kind of health problems?

Old 02-22-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Three cups of milk a day can cause health problems? You can't be too safe out there. What exactly kind of health problems?
That is not what I wrote and I know that your reading comprehension is normally better than that.

Old 02-22-2024, 11:12 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,416,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

Yeah, this is a bit extreme.

It is true that if you have too much calcium intake some people are prone to kidney stones. And that too much protein can cause some kidney problems in some folks. But 3 cups of milk a day for lactose tolerant people is not a health risk at all.

Old 02-22-2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post

It is true that if you have too much calcium intake some people are prone to kidney stones. And that too much protein can cause some kidney problems in some folks. But 3 cups of milk a day for lactose tolerant people is not a health risk at all.
Yeah, read what I wrote. I didn't say that 3 cups of milk daily are a health risk. I said more than that is considered excessive and can lead to health problems, especially if one is consuming more than twice that amount. There are more potential health issues than what you listed that excessive milk consumption can lead to. I think if the OP or anyone else is interested in knowing what they are, they'll research it.

Old 02-22-2024, 02:44 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
Quote:

Half a gallon every 2 days on average. A half gallon is 64 ounces, which is 8 cups. That translates into 32 ounces a day, or 4 cups a day. Generally speaking.

Blood work is all good, no kidney problems or stones, calcium levels normal, but thanks for bringing it up, anyway. It's a valid contribution to the discussion. I know a lot of people think "adults should not drink milk" though I realize you didn't actually say that.

I do love a cold glass of milk, or a milky bowl of Nabisco shredded wheat and bran with some frozen blueberries thrown over it. That's 19 grams of protein right there, 7 grams for the cereal and 12 grams for the cup and a half of milk I pour over it. Plus 58 grams of whole grains and 8 grams of fiber.

And the frozen blueberries make it all so cold and slushy and sweet. Almost as good as that pint of Haagan Dazs we were talking about earlier, but more nutrition and without the fat and added sugar. I can live with that.

Old 02-22-2024, 04:38 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,416,501 times
Quote:
Yeah, read what I wrote. I didn't say that 3 cups of milk daily are a health risk. I said more than that is considered excessive and can lead to health problems, especially if one is consuming more than twice that amount. There are more potential health issues than what you listed that excessive milk consumption can lead to. I think if the OP or anyone else is interested in knowing what they are, they'll research it.
Her intake is just fine.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post

The daily upper limit for calcium for adults 51 years and older is 2,000 mg. That is around eight and a half 8oz. glasses of whole milk. Of course that is not taking into consideration calcium from other dietary sources.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:48 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
Quote:
The OP is seeking easy ways to increase nutrition to aid in recovery from illness. Doc suggested she consume a meal replacement shake daily in addition to her regular meals but it sounds like that is off the table. She is too tired and sick to handle much food prep at this time.

Is it possible to increase your intake of these foods you are able to prepare by increasing serving sizes or adding in an extra meal? I realize it's not fully balanced or varied but the extra nutrients would help your recovery.

Did these work out?
I never answered your question about the RXBARS. They aren't bad. A little higher in sodium than one would wish, but I took one with me yesterday when I had an early doctor appointment and then had to run some errands, and ate it in my car with a bottle of water to wash it down. Another time I ate one to keep me going until I could get my real meal made, because I forgot to eat and got started making it kind of late..

Normally I would just have an apple in these types of situations, I do eat an apple a day without fail, always have. But while an apple is good, it doesn't offer much substance. Plus I had to take a pill while I was out and about, one of those "take with food" types, so the bar fit the bill for that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness