Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:46 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Jodi, I know that this reply is several years after your post, but I was wondering how your daughter, Victoria, is doing. I'm 19 and my OB/GYN wondered why I haven't received it. I told her that my mom and I agreed that it was too new. Her reply was, "It's been around for 10 years. You'll be fine!"

My mom says it's up to me. I'm having difficulty deciding. One part of me says, "What if you do get HPV or cervical cancer and you could've prevented it? What if you'll need a hysterectomy before you have kids?". The other part of me says, "Look at these stories that you've read about other girls who have been chronically ill ever since they had the vaccine."

After reading your daughter's story, I've decided that I'll take the risk of HPV or cervical cancer.
Goodluck with the gamble you are taking.

Personally, I would never take medical advice from a anonymous posting site such as City-Data, because you have no idea if the people are real, nor what agenda they might have.

And while if "jodi" is a real person, and if her daughter is sick, again, there is nothing to suggest it is caused by vaccination. Time (I got hit by a bus on Mondays, so it must be that Monday's cause people to get hit by buses) is not indication of causation, but of correlation.

"It was my birthday, and I broke my leg" - did the birthday cause the broken leg?

"I went to Disneyworld, 2 weeks later I got the measels" Did Disneyworld cause the measels? Or did an infected person in their hometown have it, and the person only remembers the *big event* and therefore associates the two?

Whatever you decide about the vaccine - it is your critical thinking skills that ultimately will be your biggest resource to fall back on in life.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:15 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Goodluck with the gamble you are taking.

Personally, I would never take medical advice from a anonymous posting site such as City-Data, because you have no idea if the people are real, nor what agenda they might have.

And while if "jodi" is a real person, and if her daughter is sick, again, there is nothing to suggest it is caused by vaccination. Time (I got hit by a bus on Mondays, so it must be that Monday's cause people to get hit by buses) is not indication of causation, but of correlation.

"It was my birthday, and I broke my leg" - did the birthday cause the broken leg?

"I went to Disneyworld, 2 weeks later I got the measels" Did Disneyworld cause the measels? Or did an infected person in their hometown have it, and the person only remembers the *big event* and therefore associates the two?

Whatever you decide about the vaccine - it is your critical thinking skills that ultimately will be your biggest resource to fall back on in life.
True, very true. Thanks for you input, but now I'm unsure again. I've known 2 girls that came down with unexplained illnesses after taking Gardasil.

Part of me says, "Well, Nikki, you practice abstinence so what's there to be afraid of?" but then, my future husband may not have done the same (although, that's would I would like).

Old 08-02-2013, 03:39 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
True, very true. Thanks for you input, but now I'm unsure again. I've known 2 girls that came down with unexplained illnesses after taking Gardasil.

Part of me says, "Well, Nikki, you practice abstinence so what's there to be afraid of?" but then, my future husband may not have done the same (although, that's would I would like).
We're skipping this for our kids.

But if you are practicing abstinence, and you don't foresee yourself having sex before marriage, then you can put this decision off until you meet the man that you will marry. If he's a virgin or if he was vaccinated, then you should be safe not getting it. If he isn't a virgin, then you might decide to get the vaccine after all.

Keep in mind, though: It does take six months to complete the series. It's only licensed for women up to age 26, I believe. And the vast majority of HPV cases go away on their own.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:43 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
I am a man an I have had the full Gardasil vaccine. All of three of them.

I have had no reactions. I am pretty sure that people who want to blame their's and their children's chronic health problems on vaccines are just looking for an excuse. Looking for something to blame it on. Gardasil is a very safe vaccine.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post

I have had no reactions. I am pretty sure that people who want to blame their's and their children's chronic health problems on vaccines are just looking for an excuse. Looking for something to blame it on. Gardasil is a very safe vaccine.
Thank you for taking responsibility. Not only are you protected against being infected by it, but this now protects you against infecting others with it. The women who *could* get vaccinated, and choose not to, should be very grateful.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Thank you for taking responsibility. Not only are you protected against being infected by it, but this now protects you against infecting others with it. The women who *could* get vaccinated, and choose not to, should be very grateful.
I got it just in time too! I turn 26 next month and this was the last year that my insurance paid for it. It was so easy too. All it took me was three short visits to CVS! I am encouraging my younger relatives, both male and female, to do the same.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post

I'm glad that you got the vax and that you had no side effects.

You do realize though that EVERY medication has the potential to cause significant harm, right? Aspirin, advil, tylenol, antibiotics, and yes, every vaccine. The people who react to medications and vaccines are not looking for an excuse. It's not common, but sometimes bad things happen, even with what is considered a "safe" medication.

ETA: I find it odd that just a few minutes ago you posted a thread about an uncommon side effect you were experiencing from another medication. If you are not just "looking for an excuse" for your discomfort and inflammation and "blaming" it on your medication, why on earth would you suggest that someone who has a reaction to a vaccine is doing just that??

Old 08-02-2013, 08:36 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post

You do realize though that EVERY medication has the potential to cause significant harm, right? Aspirin, advil, tylenol, antibiotics, and yes, every vaccine. The people who react to medications and vaccines are not looking for an excuse. It's not common, but sometimes bad things happen, even with what is considered a "safe" medication.

ETA: I find it odd that just a few minutes ago you posted a thread about an uncommon side effect you were experiencing from another medication. If you are not just "looking for an excuse" for your discomfort and inflammation and "blaming" it on your medication, why on earth would you suggest that someone who has a reaction to a vaccine is doing just that??
You do realize that EVERY time you -reject- medication when you need it, every time you -reject- vaccination for vaccine-preventable disease, every time you -reject- taking an Advil, aspirin, tylenol, antiobiotics, you are risking pain, suffering, sickness, and even death? And you do realize that you are -more- likely to experience pain, and/or suffering, and/or sickness, and/or death, if you reject these things, than if you accept these things as/when recommended by a qualified medical practitioner?

Yes, bad things happen when some people take meds. But MORE bad things happen to people who need them, and refuse to take them.

Personally - I'd rather err on the side of caution and risk a possible uncommon or common-but-minor-and-temporary side effect, than risk a more common-but deadly-or permanent illness.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You do realize that EVERY time you -reject- medication when you need it, every time you -reject- vaccination for vaccine-preventable disease, every time you -reject- taking an Advil, aspirin, tylenol, antiobiotics, you are risking pain, suffering, sickness, and even death? And you do realize that you are -more- likely to experience pain, and/or suffering, and/or sickness, and/or death, if you reject these things, than if you accept these things as/when recommended by a qualified medical practitioner?

Yes, bad things happen when some people take meds. But MORE bad things happen to people who need them, and refuse to take them.

Personally - I'd rather err on the side of caution and risk a possible uncommon or common-but-minor-and-temporary side effect, than risk a more common-but deadly-or permanent illness.
I did not say anything about any of that. What I said was in response to the poster saying that basically side effects do not exist, and that those who experience side effects are making up some correlation because they want an "excuse." And then in another post talked about how he had a very uncommon side effect to a commonly-prescribed medication.

In most cases, people don't *need* advil or tylenol. Nothing bad is going to happen the vast, vast majority of the time if you do not take a tylenol for your headache. You might have a headache for longer, but the risks of taking the tylenol are worse than the risk of sleeping off your headache. Now, most of us pop a tylenol for a headache! But there is not always a serious consideration of risk vs. benefit with these sorts of things.

And if the bolded is referring to HPV, you should probably say "a common virus that is, the vast majority of the time, self-limiting, harmless and non-permanent, but that, in some cases, can cause cell changes that might lead to cancer if regular screening tests are not performed as recommended."

Old 08-02-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post

Yeah, but my side effect from ambien really isn't that debilitating of a side effect. lol. Its annoying like hell, but nothing that is destroying my life.

People are saying that Gardasil is giving their daughters brain damage for goodness sake. I really think that is a little unfounded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness