Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:35 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,139 times

Advertisements

Has anyone (or someone you know) had any type of reaction after recieving this vaccine?

Old 06-04-2008, 07:14 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
Link

According to the Centers for Disease Control, the vaccine was tested in over 10,000 females (ages 9 to 26). These studies have shown no serious side effects. The most common side effect is soreness at the injection site. CDC, working with the FDA, will continue to monitor the safety of the vaccine after it is in general use. The vaccine does not contain mercury, thimerosal or live virus.[2]

The National Cancer Institute says, "FDA-approved Gardasil prevented nearly 100 percent of the precancerous cervical cell changes caused by the types of HPV targeted by the vaccine for up to 4 years after vaccination."

Old 06-04-2008, 07:43 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Prepare to pay about $200 per shot. Most insurance will not cover the cost.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Prepare to pay about $200 per shot. Most insurance will not cover the cost.
This is not true. I work in a pediatrician's office and all the insurances we accept cover it.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is not true. I work in a pediatrician's office and all the insurances we accept cover it.
My child is 19, the vaccination was not covered by insurance. An HMO might cover it but our PPO does not. We have Blue Cross.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
BC/BS here in Colorado covers it. And even if not, it's better to pay than get cancer.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:46 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,333 times
Quote:
In just little over a year, the HPV vaccine has been associated with at least five deaths, not to mention thousands of reports of adverse effects, hundreds deemed serious, and many that required hospitalization......

Three deaths were related to the vaccine, including one of a 12-year-old. One physician's assistant reported that a female patient "died of a blood clot three hours after getting the Gardasil vaccine." Two other reports, on girls 12 and 19, reported deaths relating to heart problems and/or blood clotting.

As of May 11, 2007, the 1,637 adverse vaccination reactions reported to the FDA via the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) included 371 serious reactions. Of the 42 women who received the vaccine while pregnant, 18 experienced side effects ranging from spontaneous abortion to fetal abnormities.

Side effects published by Merck & Co. warn the public about potential pain, fever, nausea, dizziness and itching after receiving the vaccine. Indeed, 77% of the adverse reactions reported are typical side effects to vaccinations. But other more serious side effects reported include paralysis, Bells Palsy, Guillain-Barre Syndrome, and seizures.
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2007/sep/07092004.html

I don't know anyone personally who has gotten the vaccine.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:16 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
My child is 19, the vaccination was not covered by insurance. An HMO might cover it but our PPO does not. We have Blue Cross.
That was my experience with my daughter. I was shocked at how much it ended up costing us. OTOH, I have a friend had who told me that had this shot existed when we were teens, she would not have had to have a hysterectomy in her mid-forties.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
BC/BS here in Colorado covers it. And even if not, it's better to pay than get cancer.
Sounds like a good message for my insurance company.

My daughter had one shot; did not have any problems other than the injection site being sensitive. I can't afford to pay this out of pocket; especially now!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:12 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,374 times
Call me old school and I'm sure I'll get a lot of feedback on this but my daughter and I discussed - no, let me correct that, she came to me and told me that she didn't want it, she researched it and decided against it. She felt that all she read was not convincing enough to chance any possible long term or short term side effects. You know we as a rule in society today are so quick to take a drug, take an injection - the "quick fix" for so many things and the pharmaceutical companies are eating it up as they pocket the billions of dollars they make off of doctors readily handing out scripts. It concerns me that all of these new drugs come out,we stick our kids on them for everything from ADD to asthma and just take an ad's word that it's good for them. Years later, people die, the drugs are pulled off (and this is everyone not just kids) and then we wonder why the pharma companies could put such unsafe drugs on the market. I for one will not take something that hasn't been thoroughly researched, been out on the market long enough to work out all the bugs. I'm almost 40 and other than yearly labs and physicals every 2-3 years, I never see a doctor. My kids are grown and they are the same - we have no reason to go, we get sick in the winter, we drink lots of fluids and get sleep. It frustrates me that we in general just put so much trust into doctors and pharmaceutical companies. I feel fairly confident that in few years, maybe several, people who got this Gardisil injection are going to have very adverse reactions. You can't just put something in your body that potent without some kind of effect happening - not now maybe later and for some maybe never but why risk it? Just my honest opinion, I'm already aware that this will create all sorts of comments / responses and to be honest I don't care. This is just my honest opinion and not meant to have all sorts of drama associated nor is it meant to draw the types who will scold me about not getting my poor daughter vaccinated with Gardisil. Save it.. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.