Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2024, 03:50 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times

Advertisements

Over the last nine weeks, I've had bilateral carpal and cubital tunnel surgeries. The last surgery was 19 days ago and the surgeon performed an ulnar nerve transposition. I was in a cast for two weeks with my wrist/elbow completely immobilized. I am claustrophobic and the cast resulted in several minor anxiety attacks, but it was mostly at night and it was easy to distract myself since I took off work for two weeks.

The cast was joyfully removed 6 days ago. I felt great and was excited about recovery, but then I started having waves of panic attacks and depression. It's not every day or all day, but when it happens it feels severe - especially this weekend. Normally I am introverted and love being at home piddling around, but right now I want to be around people and hate being at home.

Background. I am 53 and otherwise healthy and in average shape. Since 2021, I have been under the care of a neurologist for traumatic brain injury following an auto accident. I have been treated for post-concussion anxiety, but that has significantly improved over the last year. I am scheduling appointments with my neurologist and PCP tomorrow.

I've read this is not uncommon. Has anyone experienced this post-op?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2024, 05:51 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Not panic attacks, but I have felt some depression. There will be an inevitable letdown after the excitement is over.

Think about it. This was planned. You probably got all ramped up reading up about the procedures, getting creative with ways to prepare your house and property for your recovery period, you busied yourself getting chores or shopping out of the way, laying in supplies, stocking up on reading or viewing materials, maybe telling people about your situation, on and on. In other words, being much busier than usual.

Now the event is over, and you're left living in the aftermath. Healing with take the time it takes. You can't do all that much about it. It can be frustratingly slow. A few friends or co-workers may have been full of sympathy or support in the beginning, but it's over for them too. Interest drops off again. Back to life as usual accompanied by some lingering pain on top of it. That can certainly set you up for situational depression. For some folks, panic attacks and anxiety goes along with depression.

Hope you'll feel better soon OP!

Old 03-28-2024, 04:18 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not panic attacks, but I have felt some depression. There will be an inevitable letdown after the excitement is over.

Think about it. This was planned. You probably got all ramped up reading up about the procedures, getting creative with ways to prepare your house and property for your recovery period, you busied yourself getting chores or shopping out of the way, laying in supplies, stocking up on reading or viewing materials, maybe telling people about your situation, on and on. In other words, being much busier than usual.

Now the event is over, and you're left living in the aftermath. Healing with take the time it takes. You can't do all that much about it. It can be frustratingly slow. A few friends or co-workers may have been full of sympathy or support in the beginning, but it's over for them too. Interest drops off again. Back to life as usual accompanied by some lingering pain on top of it. That can certainly set you up for situational depression. For some folks, panic attacks and anxiety goes along with depression.

Hope you'll feel better soon OP!
I've felt considerably better over the last two days - almost back to normal. After consulting with my PCP and digging into the symptoms/risks of Tramadol, it seems more likely that I may have developed a dependency despite it being a short-course, 20-pill prescription and the depression and panic attacks were the result of withdrawals.

I took Tramadol only for pain relief and had two left. It's not like I was getting high or anything and I don't crave them. I transitioned to Tylenol six days after beginning the course of Tramadol.

It's actually frightening to think about.

Thanks for the reply and the well-wishes..

Old 03-28-2024, 08:34 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I've felt considerably better over the last two days - almost back to normal. After consulting with my PCP and digging into the symptoms/risks of Tramadol, it seems more likely that I may have developed a dependency despite it being a short-course, 20-pill prescription and the depression and panic attacks were the result of withdrawals.

I took Tramadol only for pain relief and had two left. It's not like I was getting high or anything and I don't crave them. I transitioned to Tylenol six days after beginning the course of Tramadol.

It's actually frightening to think about.

Thanks for the reply and the well-wishes..
This is very common and I was going to ask what pain meds you were on after reading your OP, but then you answered it right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness