Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 10:00 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

Do they assist?

One, the Calcium Chanel Blocker (Amlodipine) & the Beta Block (Propanolol) seems like they'd synergistically add to help.

Calcium Block would reduce high BP when stressed & Beta Block would lower heartbeats, again dropping stress on the heart via this 3 med cocktail aka combo of all calm down agents. Should ask my doc for a Calcium & Beta Blocker to add to therapy to lower anxiety & stress. Neither of those 2 Blockers are addictive too, & w/ trace side effects, thus it makes sense?

I ruled out need for an ACE inhibitor or Metformin -- as it is a kidney primary drug, so unneeded -- unless my kidney's show damage from yrs of bodybuilding protein intake. I'm late 50s, so do the math w/ yrs of insults to the frame over the 80-90s workout days.

Never did roids or HGH but tried Clenbuterol -- when it could be bought at like GNC's stores in early 90s. Also used Ephedra & Vanadyl Sulfate (insulin mimicker) back then to push the carbs into the muscle -- to engorge muscularity after w/outs. Crazy days the gym days were in the 80s & early 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
You should address all your questions to your MD and follow instructions. Comments from posters might or might not be correct...could be dangerous, even.

What are you doing...going through a PDR looking for meds..???? I've never heard of using these meds off label for your particular reasons...just why are you intent on finding meds in your situation?

Old 02-28-2018, 11:30 AM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
LOL, you can ask.

amiodarone is generally considered an anti-arrythimic. your doc isn't going to prescribe amiodarone.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:08 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
LOL, you can ask.

amiodarone is generally considered an anti-arrythimic. your doc isn't going to prescribe amiodarone.
Not unless the OP has uncontrolled atrial fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia.

The OP mentioned amlodipine, not amiodarone. Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker used to treat hypertension, never heard of it prescribed to treat anxiety.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:13 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You should address all your questions to your MD and follow instructions. Comments from posters might or might not be correct...could be dangerous, even.

What are you doing...going through a PDR looking for meds..???? I've never heard of using these meds off label for your particular reasons...just why are you intent on finding meds in your situation?
Beta blockers are prescribed for anxiety, although I don’t know if they would be prescribed in addition to other anti-anxiety medications. I don’t know why you’d want a calcium channel blocker and a beta blocker if you have normal blood pressure though. That just seems like a recipe for no pulse. I have family members who take multiple medications who have high blood pressure normally and still experience problems with low blood pressure...

Old 02-28-2018, 04:36 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Not unless the OP has uncontrolled atrial fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia.

The OP mentioned amlodipine, not amiodarone. Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker used to treat hypertension, never heard of it prescribed to treat anxiety.

wow, i need to get new glasses. sorry and thanks.

i thought amiodarone was a bit of a stretch although this is what sent me that direction (besides the glasses thing). i realize this is an old article.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7532747

Old 03-26-2024, 06:56 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,099,936 times
Ketogenic diet(high fat/protein - eggs, butter, meat) is beneficial for anxiety. Try to limit or eliminate bread/pasta, potatoes, sugar
https://twitter.com/search?q=keto%20...rc=typed_query
https://twitter.com/BenBikmanPhD/sta...20359744303104
https://twitter.com/LaceyShrinks/sta...91385235595265
https://twitter.com/SeizureSalad314/...57582227312803

Old 03-26-2024, 08:24 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
I take Propanolol for GERD/Barrett's Esophagus. It has nothing to do with anti-anxiety AFAIK.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:08 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
A couple points--
Beta blockers like propranolol can make GERD worse by relaxing the GE sphincter mechanism. You may be confused about why you're taking it.

Beat blockers in general can make depression worse. Depression can be treated with adrenegics so a blocker would have the opposite effect.They block the effects of adrenalin so they can improve the physical symptoms of anxiety but don't actually help the anxiety- kinda like taking aspirin to bring down a fever without helping the infection itself.

Ca channel blockers work in muscle tissue, but nerve tissue, including brains, don't have those. Their effects in depression, I would guess, would be highly variable because I think there's more fat heads than muscle heads in the world.

Many depressed pts report marked improvement if they take narcotics for coincidental pain. Depressed pts generally have exaggerated pain responses. Cf- the fibromyalgia syndrome which includes the combination of lack of extinction of pain, anxiety, depression and dysfunctional sleep patterns....Off label prescription of narcotics, however, is frowned upon thanks to the un-scientific meddling of politicians in the medical field. Too bad. We're missing effective treatment of a problem where standard treatment is generally inadequate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness