Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 03:18 PM

26,351 posts, read 49,394,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
My dad's cousin was born early in the last century and became a country doctor. He was trained at the University of MN where I believe they still taught diagnosis by odor.

It was known that he could walk into a patient's room and comment on what illness it smelled like.

I believe they already have companion dogs who can help with cancer, blood sugar, Parkinson's Disease, migraines, malaria.
Thank you. There are dogs that can detect impending seizures in epileptics before the seizure starts.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2024, 03:25 PM

102,497 posts, read 109,032,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
of
The meds for PD often become ineffective after awhile and need to be stopped for a "medication holliday." It's been found that the earlier the meds are started, the faster the condition deteriorates. The meds only cover up annoying symptoms. They don't cure the progressive disease.
Thank you. I have a friend who just went on the meds. I'll ask her about this. I hope her doctor already gave her an answer regarding this.

Old 06-17-2024, 09:47 AM

7,452 posts, read 5,386,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thank you. I have a friend who just went on the meds. I'll ask her about this. I hope her doctor already gave her an answer regarding this.
Because treatment only covers up annoying symptoms, there's no need to treat until those symptoms become too annoying. Pts with advanced disease can have decrease in mental capacity, but it's also easy to confuse the slowing of thought and speech with dentia-- If you recall, Mohammed Ali seemed slow witted toward the end with his slow, slurred speech, but his mental acuity ractually remained pretty sharp.....Our President has been showing the signs of that condition progressively over the past two years-- slowed speech, lack of normal facial expression (note the lack of wrinkles in his forehead- PD or Botox?) and stiff- legged gait with lack of arm swing. We don't see the classic resting tremor, but we only see him at a distance and briefly on TV.....??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Thank you. There are dogs that can detect impending seizures in epileptics before the seizure starts.
You brought up a Interesting topic for discussion...I explained the science behind it and the logic for its lack of general applicability.

I objected to your attitude about doctors. They are not withholding or preventing improvements in practice..OTOH-- govt regulations have turned them into unthinkng automatons limited to following only the algorithms approved by Medicare. They are not allowed to think for themselves anymore. We may as well go to an all-computerized system of medical practice. It is that way de facto now.

Old 06-17-2024, 09:48 AM

10,759 posts, read 8,021,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
According to Yale, exercise is the best medicine. However:

“I often come across patients who believe the medication only works for a few years and therefore they want to save the medication for when their disease gets really bad. This is not true,” said Dr. Santini.

Dr. Santini explains that the dose of levodopa will always increase over the course of the disease as the brain chemical deficiency grows. “If we wait too long to take medication, it becomes harder to catch up and people sometimes acquire irreversible disabilities.”

https://www.ynhhs.org/articles/parkinsons-medication

Old 06-19-2024, 05:47 PM

1,405 posts, read 635,118 times
Quote:
Change in scent is due to changes in chemicals in the blood....It's cheaper, easier, more accurate & reproducible and changes over time can be compared quantitatively than to train dogs or people to sniff them out (how many would you need and what would you pay them to be on call 24/7?). Got it?....It has nothing to do with financial incentive of withholding improvements in the technology.

Instead of mentioning psychics, maybe I should have simply said if you don't trust doctors, don't go to them. I bet Aesop's Fables are a mystery to you.
I'm interested in this assertion. What, EXACTLY, do you mean?

Old 06-19-2024, 06:50 PM

7,452 posts, read 5,386,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I'm interested in this assertion. What, EXACTLY, do you mean?
Look up "allegory" in your Funk and Wagnalls.

Old Today, 02:54 PM

7,475 posts, read 4,830,203 times
Quote:
Our scent is influenced by chemicals in our blood that come out in our sweat. Fifty years ago they tried training dogs to detect the change in odor of patients having acute heart attacks. ..It turns out it's just cheaper., easier, more accurate, reproducible and quantitatively comparable to just do the blood tests in the lab to detect those chemicals.

This example of detction of Parkinson's is particularly egregious because there's no need for early diagnosis because a big problem is that this condition treated too early gets worse faster.

Other than that, great idea!....Next time you have a medical emergency, call your local fortune teller if you don't trust your doctor.
Thanks for the information about not treating the disease too soon. This disease has run on my dad’s side of the family for a few generations. My siblings and I are hoping to escape it but all have sleep walking and sleep apnea which I understand are related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness