Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 09:05 AM

22,197 posts, read 9,776,192 times

Advertisements

Have you had any bloodwork come back with a result that is concerning and then redone the blood and it's fine? This has happened to me a few times now. I just got a concerning blood sugar number from a test yesterday. I had the same test down a couple of months ago and it was completely normal and fine. I had the same lab do a tumor marker and it came back high and then it was redone and it was normal. How common are mistakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2024, 09:17 AM

779 posts, read 647,264 times
I don't know about tumor marker tests, but blood sugar can be variable even after fasting. That's why most docs will want further testing before initiating any treatment unless a test suggests some urgent condition. To answer your question, I wouldn't classify an outlier blood sugar test as a "mistake", it's just that your blood sugar was different between tests. Follow up tests should show whether the high blood sugar number is transient or whether some issue has developed that needs attention.

Old 06-21-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
I don't know about tumor marker tests, but blood sugar can be variable even after fasting. That's why most docs will want further testing before initiating any treatment unless a test suggests some urgent condition. To answer your question, I wouldn't classify an outlier blood sugar test as a "mistake", it's just that your blood sugar was different between tests. Follow up tests should show whether the high blood sugar number is transient or whether some issue has developed that needs attention.
The number was actually low. And I didn't even fast.

Old 06-21-2024, 09:36 AM

3,393 posts, read 9,248,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Have you had any bloodwork come back with a result that is concerning and then redone the blood and it's fine? This has happened to me a few times now. I just got a concerning blood sugar number from a test yesterday. I had the same test down a couple of months ago and it was completely normal and fine. I had the same lab do a tumor marker and it came back high and then it was redone and it was normal. How common are mistakes?
How long between tests? Were they done by the same lab ? Were you fasting or non fasting both times? All those can change the dynamics of the tests.

Old 06-21-2024, 09:45 AM

I was fasting fasting during the last test. Not fasting on this one. Two months between them. Fasting around 90 and this one nonfasting 63. Same lab.

Old 06-21-2024, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I was fasting fasting during the last test. Not fasting on this one. Two months between them. Fasting around 90 and this one nonfasting 63. Same lab.
Okay, there is your answer. Different sets of parameters for the results.

Old 06-21-2024, 10:57 AM

13,190 posts, read 7,704,659 times
How did you feel, at time of the blood draw?
At 60 mg/dL seems to be too low for a "normal" person.

I am pre-diabetic 2, and will feel almost comatose at 100 and running to the toilet at 160mg/dL.

Old 06-21-2024, 10:59 AM

51,538 posts, read 24,894,685 times
I'm pre-diabetic and occasionally do one of the little blood sugar tests. The other evening I did one...quite some time after dinner...and was shocked to see it come out 175. Which didn't make any sense. So I redid the test immediately and got two readings of 110, which made sense.

Who knows why?

Old 06-21-2024, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm pre-diabetic and occasionally do one of the little blood sugar tests. The other evening I did one...quite some time after dinner...and was shocked to see it come out 175. Which didn't make any sense. So I redid the test immediately and got two readings of 110, which made sense.

Who knows why?
Depends on what time and what you ate. While anything over 140 is concerning, even non diabetics can get to 180 within two hours of ingesting a fair amount of carbs, esp sugar.

Old 06-21-2024, 01:16 PM

7,438 posts, read 5,370,711 times
Quote:
Which one was the "mistake?"

Labs aren't perfect, so every once in awhile an abnormal test comes back and is unexpected. It requires follow up-- usually just repeat; sometimes additional tests for verification.....I'd not trust an elevated tumor marker (why was it ordered in the first place?) to be an error if the repeat was normal. Maybe the normal one is the mistake.

BS varies within a normal range, as mentioned by others, and depends on meal content, meal timing and activity levels.-- Common wisdom is to do fasting BS levels for screening purposes. Stupid. That misses the "borderline diabetics"/"pre-diabetics (stupid term)....We should be doing 2-hr post prandial levels for screening purposes. Chol levels will be the same. Lipid levels (not.nearly as important as they want us to believe nowl will be elevated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness