Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,570 times

Advertisements

Hi,
10 days ago I started experiencing exactly the same symptoms as described by sandiegoskipper back in 2010, kazoo like vibration noises which only happen at certain frequencies when I talk to or listen to people. It's in my left ear which is the side I usually use my mobile phone on. It feels like I've lost about 10% of the sound in the ear and there is a feeling that the ear is blocked or full.

I've had it checked by the Dr and there's no out ear blockage or infection. They've prescribed a steroid nasal spray but I'm not convinced that this make any difference.

Has anyone had any luck in diagnosing what it might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 10:44 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonSmall View Post
Hi,
10 days ago I started experiencing exactly the same symptoms as described by sandiegoskipper back in 2010, kazoo like vibration noises which only happen at certain frequencies when I talk to or listen to people. It's in my left ear which is the side I usually use my mobile phone on. It feels like I've lost about 10% of the sound in the ear and there is a feeling that the ear is blocked or full.

I've had it checked by the Dr and there's no out ear blockage or infection. They've prescribed a steroid nasal spray but I'm not convinced that this make any difference.

Has anyone had any luck in diagnosing what it might be?
If it doesn't clear up I would see an ENT.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:16 AM

22 posts, read 46,390 times
Joining the ranks of this kazoo/buzzing sound in my left ear.. Which incidentally happened the day after I used earwax drops and flushed my ears out with water (I've done this for years without a single issue) but for about a month now my left ear has been buzzing with certain frequencies and every day normal sounds..

I strongly feel like this could be some sort of issue with wax being on the eardrum or something? Since I got buzzing the very next day after cleaning my ears, it seems related that either I caused an ear infection or there is wax in there somewhere that made this happen..

I say this because i'm pretty sure you don't just wake up one day and all of the sudden your ear starts buzzing for no rhyme or reason... and my reason is that I cleaned my ears.

That being said, I haven't gone to an ENT yet but will soon if it doesn't clear up.. It's pretty annoying and so far i've noticed that everyday is a different level of buzzing.. some days it's not so bad and days like today where it's very bad and super sensitive..

When people put their cell phones on speaker phone are the worst way to make my left ear buzz right now.. it's almost unbearable. Right now typing on my work keyboard makes it pretty bad as well.

Thanks,

Jay

Old 10-22-2015, 05:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,479 times
The strange buzzing noise started this past weekend upon me sleeping. I described to my husband that the left ear when when whiggled it makes that weird old cash register noise; like a whoozie sound coming or echoing from the right ear. It only starts when I'm laying down. I'm a receptionist and it is the ear I listen with.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,407 times
Default Buzzing sound... me too

I've had a reactive buzzing sound in my right ear for about a month now. It became apparent one quiet morning in the kitchen. The sound of plates and cups chinking together, being placed on the side, clicking plug switches on/off, closing the lid of the kettle, - all produce a short, sharp, buzz. Like a bee or insect being stuck in there. Initially I thought it was a distorted echo of the sound, however, the buzz is the same each time. At first, it was only there some mornings, only while in the kitchen, then the more I noticed it the more it happened, still in the kitchen. Now, after Christmas, being around loud noise for two days, I have had three consecutive days of reactive buzzing, the longest and sensitive so far, now even my own laughter, talking, eating, swallowing with no food or drink, produces the sound. Noticeably, I have had an increase in caffeine over Christmas (tea, chocolate) which may make it worse and disturbed sleeping pattern. I have used what you call Q tips -- cotton buds, over here, and have put them way too far in before. I don't drink alcohol or smoke. I have no allergies that I know of. I have no children to blame! My right ear seems to be a little quieter than my left but not by much. That I may even be imagining.

Prior to this, weeks before the sound began, I had bought some new on ear headphones and would listen to music daily with in-ear headphones (tea break at work) and on ear headphones for an hour or so in the evening, the volume was relatively loud for the duration of an album. For two - three continuous weeks I did this, as I had just got a new album and couldn't stop listening to it, plus it sounded phenomenal on the new headphones. I also used to sleep with in-ear headphones in (with no music) as a way to reduce outside noise and get to sleep. My right ear is the side I sleep on and buzzing ear. It's also my phone ear, but I hardly use the phone. I have always felt sensitive to noise, even being surrounded by prolonged chic chat and raised voices (even for 10 minutes) gives me headache. I am an introvert and prefer a quiet life. I take no medication and do not have vertigo or any other symptoms. I have had a little toothache recently due to broken tooth but not sure how that would affect my ear.

Since discovering the noise I have reduced all sound in my life that I can control such as the television, films, music, everything is low and I found this has helped somewhat. In the least, I feel better I am not adding further damage. I have bought skin colour ear plugs (Mack's) with a travel case for noisy environments or mornings when I would rather lessen or remove the buzzing and not let it get me down. Initially it was scary, hearing this buzzing sound, however, after reading online, and this thread, it has calmed me somewhat. I don't believe it is Tinnitus and more along the lines of ear wax build up or a problem with the inner ear. I hope I haven't damaged my hearing, however, I am determined not to let it stress me out and will beat it mentally, so I don't end up making it worse and more noticeable. I am going to ignore it for the next few days and not think about it and see how that works. The more I tap, click and produce sounds to test my right ear and look for the buzz, the more I hear it. So I won't.

A day before Christmas Eve the buzzing had disappeared completely. I had normal hearing. At the time, I had a little cold and was feeling unwell. Strange that it cleared up my buzzing ear completely for the days I was under the weather.

I plan to see my GP on Monday and will report back.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best.

*PS: sorry for the essay

Old 04-01-2016, 08:32 AM

22 posts, read 46,390 times
So an update on my side.. Back in October when I stated the issues, it was probably at it's worst moments. Then it pretty much completely went away about a month later (don't understand how or why).. Then lately it has cropped up again..

After doing more extensive research it turns out for a lot of people that high stress (through work, etc) can bring this problem back.. Lately i've been under a lot more stress than usual at work and behold, the ear problems come back.

So i'll be attempting to do some serious relaxing and calming down and see if it helps me.

I know this doesn't help much but after realizing the issue can "go away" and "come back" tells me it's not something related to a permanent damage and more "bodily" sensitive.

I also noticed that when I got sick between October and now (with a sinus infection) the issue had also completely gone away... It seems there could be an inner ear problem that inflames and makes the problem come up.

Edit: Also caffeine.. seems to makes things worse (probably affects your stress levels).. So if you can, cut down or remote caffeine from your diet and see if your ear issues improve.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,201 times
I find that putting my head down as if I'm touching my toes for even a few seconds gives me temporary relief. If I do it for a couple of minutes it seems to help for quite a while... Could just be my anatomy I guess but again, nothing in the ear, no hearing problems, no infection. Just really annoying...

Old 11-26-2018, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,765 times
I'm so glad I found this post!

I've had buzzing in my left ear very similar to the posts on here. After I speak it's like an echo, but only after I speak in low frequency or hum - not high frequencies. This is the only place I have found anyone who can relate to what this feels like. I also feel like a vibration when it happens so I'm thinking the theory of it coming from the eardrum 'not fitting' properly as has been mentioned by someone earlier.

This all started after I experienced 'Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss' four months ago. My hearing has thankfully returned and I'm just left with this. It gets worse if I'm tired or stressed and it also seemed worse when I had a recent cold virus.

It's a while since this post was started - Has anyone had any improvement/recovery/worsening of this recently? Or found explanations of the cause of it or any ways to fix it?

Old 11-26-2018, 04:34 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaBill View Post
I'm so glad I found this post!

I've had buzzing in my left ear very similar to the posts on here. After I speak it's like an echo, but only after I speak in low frequency or hum - not high frequencies. This is the only place I have found anyone who can relate to what this feels like. I also feel like a vibration when it happens so I'm thinking the theory of it coming from the eardrum 'not fitting' properly as has been mentioned by someone earlier.

This all started after I experienced 'Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss' four months ago. My hearing has thankfully returned and I'm just left with this. It gets worse if I'm tired or stressed and it also seemed worse when I had a recent cold virus.

It's a while since this post was started - Has anyone had any improvement/recovery/worsening of this recently? Or found explanations of the cause of it or any ways to fix it?
I'd get checked with your doctor but it could be tinnitus. It can get worse with stress and with colds if your ears become clogged because there is less outside noise to mask the sound of the tinnitus. It may or may not be permanent but you should see your doctor to rule out other things. If it is permanent you usually habituate to it and don't notice it after a while.

Easier said than done, I know but try not to focus on the noise and keep something on in the background like a radio or tv to drown it out. Also a white noise machine may be helpful at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness