U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 AM

14,174 posts, read 24,322,167 times

Advertisements

Like my 93 year old grandmother says, "If I have to take pills every day to stay alive, it must be time for me to go".

I have relatiives who take all sorts of prescription drugs for depression, high blood pressure, high choleterol, heart issues, etc. I just don't get it. I walk two miles per day and eat a healty diet and at age 40, my doctor told me a few months ago after a physical exam that I'm healthier than most teenagers he sees.

I know some things can be genetic and you can't just walk/eat your way into good health, but it seems like too many people are just sitting there expecting pills to make them healthy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:52 AM

2,766 posts, read 6,687,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I know some things can be genetic and you can't just walk/eat your way into good health, but it seems like too many people are just sitting there expecting pills to make them healthy.
I really believe that it's not so much genetics as it is lifestyle and eating habits. We are often raised to eat and live in the way our parents did, and their ways of living and eating aren't always the healthiest. I just think it's far to easy for doctors to tell people their problems run in the family, it's yet another easy way to convince patients that there's nothing they can do about it but take medication.

And of course your last statement is right on the money, some people quite honestly feel it's much easier to take a pill than it is to truly educate themselves and take charge of their health. And for some they just feel safer trusting their doctor than other sources of information, and honestly that's fine because people need to do what they feel will get them well, and if medication is helping an individual I say great because I don't like seeing anyone suffer with health conditions. I just hope there are more and more people out there who don't always ask "how high" when their doctor says jump.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 AM

4,589 posts, read 12,299,696 times
I think it's a travisty on the part of the medical profession for doctors to perscribe medication for everything.....it's like they don't actually want to put in the work or effort to help thier patients.....just get em' in and out as fast as possible. I won't ever let a doctor pawn me off on some "cure all" pill........

Old 08-22-2008, 01:09 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,674,247 times
It astounds me how quick people are to demand pharmaceuticals. It seems like there's a pill for every twitch nowadays!

I have Lupus and take as few drugs as possible. The immuno-suppressants are vital because they keep me from dying of complications, as does my heart pill, but I don't take anything else on a regular basis. For pain, I do have Tramadol, which is non-narcotic, but I only take it when the pain is too bad to handle. Usually, I use arthritis rubs, rest, and my TENS unit.

Last night, a neighbor knocked at my door asking if I had any "nerve pills" or "hydrocodone" I could give her for her son. She said he was having some bipolar episode and since she knew I have a serious disease, she thought I'd have something. I said, NOPE! I told her that I have an incurable, longterm illness and my docs manage my disease, they don't just dope me up! And, frankly, if I did go to a doc whose answer was to put me on narcotic drugs to keep me in lala-land, I'd run the other way!

Old 08-23-2008, 03:33 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,630,367 times
Doctors, Hospitals like sick people and so do the Pharmaceutical companies. My girlfriend recently lost her 2 year battle to Ovarian Cancer and she was young! She told me her Chemo Treatments were $13,000 every time she went. She said there were three rooms in the hospital and they were full of cancer patents 24/7 getting Chemo. Imagine all the money being made off of Chemotherapy alone! They do not want to find cures for anything....I say there are, they are just covered up! If not Docs and down the line would not make the money they want to!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:31 AM

7,776 posts, read 17,440,348 times
Blondie621 wrote:
Doctors, Hospitals like sick people and so do the Pharmaceutical companies.
The more sick people there are, the more $$$$$$$$$$$ they make. Read about their latest move to create more sick people to fill their coffers. FDA Unleashes Mass Irradiation

Old 08-24-2008, 12:49 PM

3,191 posts, read 8,521,858 times
My personal theory is you can keep dumping to donation money the American Cancer Society, and every other SOCIETY, assn., etc. known to man, towards finding a 'cure'...but there will never be a mass cure for anything.
There is too much money at stake...imagine empty waiting rooms, no free lunches from drug reps, little to no research grants/funding, no high on the hog lifestyles for the upper echelon of those 'societies'....and on and on.
that is one wall THEY don't want crumbling down.

keeping'em sick and wanting more= money

Old 08-24-2008, 04:07 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,630,367 times
I have gone to the doc in the past for a bad cold or flu and I leave with like 3prescripts. I fill them, read the side affects and toss them! Only if I have bronchitis or upper respiritory will I take an antibiotic. Otherwise not even an Advil. I would loved to replace my Levoxyl I take for my Hypothyroid with something natural if there is such a thing. The docs made me swallow that RAI pill 5 years ago so they can now have me on a pill a day for the rest of my life....they got me! Wish I could go back!
I read on that RAI and says it causes all diferent cancers years later....idiot doctors give people that pill!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:41 PM

7,776 posts, read 17,440,348 times
crazyma wrote:
My personal theory is you can keep dumping to donation money the American Cancer Society, and every other SOCIETY, assn., etc. known to man, towards finding a 'cure'...but there will never be a mass cure for anything.

Agreed, and I'll take it one step further. Anyone contributing to the American Cancer Society is SUPPORTING the cancer industry and the continuation of Cancer. There are so many people and institutions making boo coo bucks from treating Cancer, and none of those who are profitting from it, seriously want to see a cure. BTW there are natural cures for cancer, but the FDA, big pharma, and the AMA have been very succesful in getting most medical consumers to view the natural alternatives as quackery. There are still many peope who erroneously make the choice to undergo standard cancer treatments, knowing that they will probably die anyway and suffer tremendously during the short time they have left. In essence they would rather risk almost certain death than do something that the FDA considers quackery.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 08-24-2008 at 06:53 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,356 times
If you need help with drugs please ask God for healing just say out loud now Jesus I believe and I accept you in my heart please heal me and free my mind and turn me into your helper.
I know this will help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or