Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:04 PM

7 posts, read 24,662 times

Advertisements

Somewhere on this forum I saw some threads about someone wanting to move to Arizona yet afraid of the bubonic plague out there. Now I cannot find that original thread.

Oh well. The bubonic plague is spread by fleas infected with yersinia pestis. I will tell you that the bubonic plague is a bacterial infection and not a virus. Therefore, even though plague is still around, modern antibiotics easily take care of it. That's why you never hear of it any more. Now for the fun part....

It was not so in medieval times. You would not believe how fascinating it is to read about 1348 England when the black death was rampant. Some really interesting and informative books about the subject are: FICTION: WE ALL FALL DOWN by Jeani Rector and DOOMSDAY BOOK by Connie Willis, and NON-FICTION: THE BLACK DEATH by Robert S. Gottfried. All three of these very good books can be found on Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 01:14 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
I live in AZ and never heard of that here. We do have Valley Fever though!!!! We have very few if any fleas here!!!!!

Old 01-10-2007, 01:17 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,014 times
Wow, bubonic plague, I didn't think it was "around" anymore or that anyone would be more concerned about that as opposed to EVERYTHING else we have going around: west nile virus, e.coli to name a couple.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Connie Willis' Doomsday Book is one of the best novels I've ever read.

Bubonic Plague shows up in Colorado's prairie dogs every now and then, and they will sometimes pass it on to cats or even humans, but I don't think there have been any human deaths from it.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:24 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
Several years back, I talked to with a person online for a while who lived in Utah and they found some b. plague out there.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:48 PM

241 posts, read 998,465 times
They had some mountain lions come down with it this yr in WY over in the Yellowstone area. They were telling ppl that live within the big cats range to keep an eye on their own cats.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:41 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
We've had several cases reported here in New Mexico--but in contained regions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Connie Willis' Doomsday Book is one of the best novels I've ever read.

Bubonic Plague shows up in Colorado's prairie dogs every now and then, and they will sometimes pass it on to cats or even humans, but I don't think there have been any human deaths from it.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:46 PM

7 posts, read 24,662 times
Default more about plague

Here is a great website that tells you all you need to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague

However, like I stressed earlier: plague is a bacterium, not a virus, so it can be treated effectively with modern antibiotics. Since is does not appear in epidemic form these days, it is mostly contained to wild animals, the rodent-type like rats and prairie dogs.......

Old 01-22-2007, 05:25 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Just curious--any special interest you have with the plague?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaRhn View Post
Here is a great website that tells you all you need to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague

However, like I stressed earlier: plague is a bacterium, not a virus, so it can be treated effectively with modern antibiotics. Since is does not appear in epidemic form these days, it is mostly contained to wild animals, the rodent-type like rats and prairie dogs.......

Old 01-22-2007, 06:14 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
We were on vacation a couple of years ago in Wyoming. I read in a paper there that several cats had died in the eastern part of the state from bubonic plague. It certainly would be possible for a human to get it even though antibiotics could cure it. Just wonder how many of us know what the beginning stages of symptoms are like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness