U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 PM

11 posts, read 65,760 times

Advertisements

I've donated blood on a regular basis for many years now. About a month ago, the Red Cross asked if I would consider being an apheresis donor? At my first appt I asked how they picked me. They said I was contacted because I have a high level of platelets. I know the benefits are many for cancer and bone marrow transplant type patients as they need platelets and plasma. Are there any risks/downsides to donating only platelets/plasma? I trust that if they say I'm a good candidate to do this, that I am. I'm not cynical but I'm just interested in other opinions to feel a little more comfortable. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:17 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,180,750 times
If I remember,,,you must be in perfect health and they check you before...Like a perfect temp, heart rate etc etc. If one thing is even remotely off, they will ask you to come back...I think it takes longer then a regular donation. Like maybe an hour or so...I have heard of people getting really sick to their stomachs, others lightheaded...but they check you out really well to make sure the donation went well. I think there is a good compensation for apheresis donation too...

Old 06-24-2008, 09:31 PM

Danielle, thanks for your response ... the screening process is quite rigorous. Based on the pre-testing, the "machine" is programmed to take a certain amount of platelets and plasma. After my first time (about an hour), I had no side effects. The nurses were really "selling" me to be a pheresis donor, going forward, which I thought was sort of odd. I'm there to donate and help people; they don't need to sell me on it. I guess that's why I'm posting the question. Maybe some people know something that I don't and need to be sold on the process. I'm just trying to get all the facts.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:48 PM
gm4

1 posts, read 15,038 times
Default A salute to you as a donor!

First of all, I congratulate you on donating blood! You are among a very small percentage of Americans who donate. Platelet donation is a longer process, but in some centers they provide movies to watch. If your platelet count is higher, it usually equates to a shorter donation time. Some donors find that donating platelets actually makes them feel better because they receive their red blood cells and extra fluid back. It is the red blood cells that take longer for the body to replace and they carry the iron in the blood. Your body replaces platelets more rapidly and you are eligible to donate more often. Platelets do not have as long of a shelf life so platelet donations are important. Plus, when a patient receives a platelet donation, the amount of platelets needed for just one transfusion takes about 6 regular (whole blood) donations as opposed to one platelet donation. Hope this helps. Whether you decide to do this or just continue your regular donations, I salute you and all the other numerous donors. You can be proud because you are saving lives!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 PM

Thanks gm4 ... I know there is a greater need for apheresis donors and based on my first experience, I will continue to do it. I guess The Red Cross just has a tough time getting folks to do it and wanted to make sure I came back apheresis (vs regular donation).

Old 10-26-2010, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 28,859 times
Is there any side effects donating platelets? ive been donating for almost 3 years in every twice a month, I just want to know more about this specially we are here in the MIDDLE EAST.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:35 AM

34,495 posts, read 36,621,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIELCABZ View Post
Is there any side effects donating platelets? ive been donating for almost 3 years in every twice a month, I just want to know more about this specially we are here in the MIDDLE EAST.
You resurrected a thread that is over 2 years old, but it is on a topic that deserves it.

See here: Donating Blood and Platelets | Cancer.Net

" Although apheresis is painless, some donors experience some mild side effects—such as tingling sensations, especially around the face and mouth, and feeling chilled—which the donation center staff can help manage."

Receiving platelets from fewer donors really reduces the risk to the person receiving the platelets. Each time you donate, you are helping two people. It takes platelets from six different whole blood donors to help one patient.

My son needed platelets frequently while he was on chemo for his leukemia. Thank you on behalf of all who have benefited from your generosity.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:19 AM

3 posts, read 28,859 times
thank you suzy for the explaination.but how many days do we recover out platelets & plasma?

we help people around us but it helps us too..

Old 10-27-2010, 05:42 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,179,543 times
I have a friend that does that on a regular basis and he is proud to do it and has no problems doing it. They once told him how many people that his alone could help, some of them save their lives and it was IMPRESSIVE!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:47 PM

34,495 posts, read 36,621,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIELCABZ View Post
thank you suzy for the explaination.but how many days do we recover out platelets & plasma?

we help people around us but it helps us too..
Plasma is replaced almost as fast as you can drink fluids. Platelets are replaced in about 3 days.

I know what you mean about it helping us, too. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness