Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:25 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times

Advertisements

My husband has been going 2X's per week for the last 10 years
to get adjusted. He hurt his back a long time ago and says when he isn't
seeing his chiropractor it bothers him.

I wonder if he has been 'convinced" they are doing something
that a little weight loss and exercise would take care of.
I don't understand an injury that never heals????
Something just seems wrong with the need for lifelong adjustments.

It is expensive and when I suggest he also do some ab/back
strength training to help he gets mad and says his problem is
from the injury and exercises are not going to help.

He is losing weight from 270 to 240 and still going ..Praise The Lord!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
My husband has been going 2X's per week for the last 10 years
to get adjusted. He hurt his back a long time ago and says when he isn't
seeing his chiropractor it bothers him.

I wonder if he has been 'convinced" they are doing something
that a little weight loss and exercise would take care of.
I don't understand an injury that never heals????
Something just seems wrong with the need for lifelong adjustments.

It is expensive and when I suggest he also do some ab/back
strength training to help he gets mad and says his problem is
from the injury and exercises are not going to help.

He is losing weight from 270 to 240 and still going ..Praise The Lord!!
2x week for 10 years!!!!

His chiropractor is adjusting his back account not your husbands spine...

Weight loss and exercise would certainly make more sense...

Old 06-26-2008, 11:03 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
If there is arthritis on the injury site he most likely does still have pain. I would imagine that massage therapy in conjunction with the chiropractic would give him greater relief that lasts longer. Soft tissue (muscle) has a memory, and if it is not retrained it will continue to cause problems by pulling the bony tissue.

Having said that, losing weight and toning up the muscle would almost certainly help to some degree, as will making sure that his footwear is not causing problems with his back.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:48 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,148 times
I agree also about the weight loss and exercise.

I think you can eventually get the same results with physio as you can from the chiroprator? .. but it takes longer. But you learn to work your muscles in the way they need to be worked, or what muscles you need to work on.

Takes more work of course. If you're out of shape, you can easily throw yourself out of whack, and then want the chiroprator for quick relief.

I love my chiroprator, but it's so expensive and only go if I feel I must. And when I do, it's because I've been out of shape and end up pulling something.

The chiropractors advise a monthly visit, just to keep your back flexible and such. But I can't afford it.

I would think that if you keep in shape with stretching and exercise, you probably wouldn't need to see one very often.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:50 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
If there is arthritis on the injury site he most likely does still have pain. I would imagine that massage therapy in conjunction with the chiropractic would give him greater relief that lasts longer. Soft tissue (muscle) has a memory, and if it is not retrained it will continue to cause problems by pulling the bony tissue.

Having said that, losing weight and toning up the muscle would almost certainly help to some degree, as will making sure that his footwear is not causing problems with his back.
Funny you mentioned the footwear. I noticed his heels
really roll in when he walks with his crock on. Looks
like that can't be good. When I go for walking shoes I try on
alot to find a pair that balance my step and don't
let my foot roll in or out.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:20 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I have had good results from Nike Shox. They are ugly, but have gone a long way towards having a balanced stride when I walk.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:32 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Default Chiropractic...

I don't think it's strange that he goes twice a week. If I could afford to go that often with my neck problems, I might too. As it is, I go about once a week or if I'm doing well, once every 2-3 weeks. Thankfully, my chiropractor is fairly reasonaly priced for just an adjustment (not having any physical therapy etc.) Some people spend money on other things. For me, the advantage I get from regularly seeing my chiropractor is very much worth it to me.

I can only speak from my own experience. I began my neck probs years ago with a car wreck. It really helps me to go to the chiropractor but no, it doesn't cure it. However, when I'm having what I term "a bad neck day" one simple adjustment from him can totally relieve the discomfort. So it helps my quality of life to get adjusted. Let me put it this way, he can cure in one visit what used to maybe take me two weeks to a month to get over. But does it stay permanently "fixed," no. ) Also, I formerly had to take a lot of Advil for my neck...usually daily. Now, I don't and I think that's a huge benefit right there.

If your husband can do some things like lose weight, or stretching or exercise or whatever, I'm sure any chiropractor would also recommend that and say it's helpful. Do whatever you can. But I'm sure that your husband's chiropractor really is helping his quality of life even if he isn't able to cure the condition.

Last edited by kaykay; 06-26-2008 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 PM

188 posts, read 548,633 times
Quote:
adjustment
Fancy word for an expensive massage. Is it chiropractor, or chiro-quacker. I say he do the following...

-see a massage therapist (cheaper than what the quack doctor is charging)
-Lose weight and excercise (see a physical therapist)
-See an orthopedist (still cheaper when considering he has gone in 2x per week for 10 years, and the orthopedist might be able to CURE the problem).

Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
Fancy word for an expensive massage. Is it chiropractor, or chiro-quacker. I say he do the following...

-see a massage therapist (cheaper than what the quack doctor is charging)
-Lose weight and excercise (see a physical therapist)
-See an orthopedist (still cheaper when considering he has gone in 2x per week for 10 years, and the orthopedist might be able to CURE the problem).
ding-ding-ding

We have a winner.....

Old 06-27-2008, 08:05 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
I am all for alternative treatments but chiros are a joke. I have seen a few and they all tell you that you need to maintain your back just like you would your car. I'm sorry, but I don't get my oil changed 3 times a week because it isn't necessary. I feel much better after a deep tissue massage than a visit to the chiro. Also google "chiropractic stroke" and he'll never want to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness