Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 07:13 PM

946 posts, read 2,917,837 times

Advertisements

I'm 21, and for the past 2 years or so, I've been going to bed after 2. I don't have insomnia, in fact I fall asleep rather quickly, it's just that I've gotten used to going to bed very late and it's hard to break the habit.

Now, of course, my face has suffered because of it. I have dark circles, and I just noticed (since I'm going to sleep even later now) that the upper part is turning red. Thank God for makeup!!! If it wasn't for makeup I'd look like a zombie for sure. However, now even make-up won't do the trick because I've noticed that not only do I have the dark circles, but I have a crease that marks them, kinda like what older women have...

Anyway, what I really want to know is: are the effects that sleep deprivation has on skin reversible? I've gone sooo long without sleeping adequately that I don't know if my dark circles and those creases under them will disappear! Maybe they've become permanent? If I start sleeping better now, will they disappear???? Please say they will!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 08:12 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I'm 21, and for the past 2 years or so, I've been going to bed after 2. I don't have insomnia, in fact I fall asleep rather quickly, it's just that I've gotten used to going to bed very late and it's hard to break the habit.

Now, of course, my face has suffered because of it. I have dark circles, and I just noticed (since I'm going to sleep even later now) that the upper part is turning red. Thank God for makeup!!! If it wasn't for makeup I'd look like a zombie for sure. However, now even make-up won't do the trick because I've noticed that not only do I have the dark circles, but I have a crease that marks them, kinda like what older women have...

Anyway, what I really want to know is: are the effects that sleep deprivation has on skin reversible? I've gone sooo long without sleeping adequately that I don't know if my dark circles and those creases under them will disappear! Maybe they've become permanent? If I start sleeping better now, will they disappear???? Please say they will!
While I can understand your concern for appearance, it is the least of your problems secondary to sleep deprivation. There are a number of significant performance effects due to short-term sleep deprivation which can progress to serious physical illnesses. Short-term sleep deprivation results in trouble concentrating, fatigue, increased irritability, careless mistakes,
poor reaction times (increased risk of accidents when driving), and increased stress levels.

Chronic sleep deprivation may lead to increased risk of infection due to altered immune response, hypertension, depression, and diabetes. In essence, without proper sleep your body begins to age faster. The fact that you are only 21 has masked a number of these problems. If you continue with this problem, in a few years you may not be able to reverse some of the physical deterioration.

Please read up on appropriate "sleep hygiene" techniques, and begin to practice them. I would also recommend you discuss this further with your physician. Best wishes.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:32 PM

946 posts, read 2,917,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
While I can understand your concern for appearance, it is the least of your problems secondary to sleep deprivation. There are a number of significant performance effects due to short-term sleep deprivation which can progress to serious physical illnesses. Short-term sleep deprivation results in trouble concentrating, fatigue, increased irritability, careless mistakes,
poor reaction times (increased risk of accidents when driving), and increased stress levels.

Chronic sleep deprivation may lead to increased risk of infection due to altered immune response, hypertension, depression, and diabetes. In essence, without proper sleep your body begins to age faster. The fact that you are only 21 has masked a number of these problems. If you continue with this problem, in a few years you may not be able to reverse some of the physical deterioration.

Please read up on appropriate "sleep hygiene" techniques, and begin to practice them. I would also recommend you discuss this further with your physician. Best wishes.
Thank you! That's pretty alarming . I do make an effort and every day I tell myself that I'll go to bed earlier, but then I find excuses and tell myself, "Oh only this once..." Aside from the physical aspect, I can say that I had a lot of trouble concentrating in class, and I also have horrible memory haha- although I don't know if that has anything to do with sleep deprivation. Yes I also get irritated very easily. Right now I have no problem going to bed early because I'm on vacation, but once I start classes I think I'm going to go back to not sleeping again. My course load is very difficult and heavy, and I have the horrible habit of leaving everything till midnight to start. I'm definately going to have to start making some changes. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:32 PM

655 posts, read 916,140 times
I sleep 5 hours per night, no matter what I do. It's 5 hours and that is it. I eat healthy, exercise, try different bed times, does not matter. After 5 damn hours, I'm wide awake, but still feel groogy. It's been that way for years and years now. I know it is not healthy, but nothing I do helps and I refuse to pop pills as they don't work either and make me drag all day the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness