Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

If you were appointed the new Secretary of Health for the USA, what would you propose as an action plan to help us become more healthy and lead us to wellness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 04:18 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
For starters-

I would ask congress to enact a hefty nationwide 'luxury' tax on junk items. You know sodas and other sugar laden drinks, chips, cereals(depending on the % of sugar content), cookies, candy, ice creams ( not fruit sorbet types), pastries/donuts, etc. Pretty much anything like that , which has little or no nutritional value.

Require that food stamps can not be used on these 'junk' items either.

And all these items carry warnings that overuse of these items can be bad for your health.

If they can tax alcohol and tobacco, why not tax the other 'bad' stuff?? (well stuff that could be used irresponsibly you know)

Then I would require schools that receive federal monies for breakfast /lunch programs to clean up their acts and get rid of 'junk' items (Seriously, sweet rolls for breakfast?? How about oatmeal...they'll eat it when they get hungry enough)
Or they will risk losing funding.

I would ask that all schools re-institute 'recess', both with free play and organized activities ( some schools don't have it!! Appalling!) and make sure they the Presidential Fitness award program is active in each school. fyi -The President's Challenge - Educators

I would ask that all television advertising of 'junk' food items be banned.

Can I have the job?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:33 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
CrazyMa,

You've got my support! 'Course I'm neither running nor wielding any sphere of influence, but you never know who's listening, eh?

Of course, you might get just a wee tad of outcry from the lobbyists supporting the food items you mentioned..guess you'd have to convince the new President-elect that it's worth doing what you suggested for the good of the country...

Another lovely idea--what if the "junk foods" became "health foods?" But I suppose high fructose corn syrup isn't as profitable as healthy ingredients..??

--Little Dolphin,
your scribe

Old 07-03-2008, 08:07 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
In my first hour as secretary of health, I would immediately take DRUG commercials off the airwaves.

I agree with crazyma. I would put a B-I-G tax on any item laced with sugar, corn syrup, or any artificial sweetners, big words on the ingredient label, & any kind of preservative.

I would limit the purchasing power of food stamps only to real food. Food stamps could not be used to purchase anything that comes in a box or a package.

I would base health insurance premiums on lifestyle & fitness level. Those who exercise, live a healthy lifestyle, and exhibit a high level of fitness would pay much lower premiums for health insurance. Those who live an unhealthy lifestyle, don't exercise, and exhibit a low level of fitness would pay MUCH HIGHER premiums. If I was secretary of health, those who live healthy lifestyles would no longer subsidize health care for those who live an unhealthy lifestyle. Those with legitimate illnesses would pay premiums somewhere in between.

I would allow junk food commercials on TV, but a discalimer along these lines would have to be plainly visible and clearly annnounced. This product is pure JUNK FOOD. Eating it is known to be dangerous to your health. Your purchase of this product will be reported to your health insurance company and is likely to result in a higher premium.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:43 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,774 times
Sounds good!

I'd love to see a real in-depth, nutrition course taught in the schools. Break the food ingredients down and show the class what they're really eating, and then pictures of the diseases and how certain foods contribute. Especially the fast foods and junk foods that we're eating so much of these days.

Let them go on a shopping trip, with some money in their pockets, to enable them to learn value for their money while wisely purchasing nutritious food items.

Provide healthy recipes and let them partake in learning the prepping and cooking process involved in putting them together and tasting the end results.

Teach them some basic health, and what they can do to help themselves when they get sick even in cold and flu season. Familiarize them with different diseases and preventions, and such.

Last week's news stated that physical education in school, is not enough to ward off excess weight alone.

If they had better comprehension of what they're putting into their systems, they would probably make an attempt at making better choices of what they consume.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:33 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
I would outlaw High Fructose Corn Syrup. This is why we are the FATTEST people on the planet. Food can be made without it. It is outlawed in Europe and should be here as well.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:32 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I would outlaw High Fructose Corn Syrup. This is why we are the FATTEST people on the planet. Food can be made without it. It is outlawed in Europe and should be here as well.
ALSO the SICKEST!! And get rid of those Energy Drinks!

Old 07-03-2008, 08:28 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
Oh yes redneck! Those stupid drug commercials....talk about your medicalization of society...

(And what the heck. let's get rid of those dad gummed feminine hygiegne ads too...)

Hey maybe tax incentives for grocers to NOT carry 'junk' food...revolutionize the shelving fee, or what ever they call it

And NO lobbyists who work for junk food hawkers

Old 07-03-2008, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
If you were appointed the new Secretary of Health for the USA, what would you propose as an action plan to help us become more healthy and lead us to wellness?
Um, ban all cigarettes. Yup, thats what will I do.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:36 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
First of all, I would make all produce cheaper than junk food. Apples 5 cents each. Lettuce, 10 cents a head. Oranges, 5 cents. Watermelons, $1.00. Cantaloupes, 50 cents. etc.
Junk food would be taxed to death. Twinkies would now be $20 a box. Cigarettes would be $50 a pack. (that should be a good deterrent ) All processed boxed, jarred and canned foods high in salt, sugar, oils and mystery ingredients would have a $10 per item tax added on to the price.

Ban all fast food commercials along with loud obnoxious car commercials, and lets throw in Billy Mays commercials as well. (that dude is now hawking insurance )

Offer monthly cash incentives to people who stick to a healthy food plan, eating all the fruits and veggies they want each week, since it's now cheaper to buy produce than anything else.
Remove all junk food from kids meals in schools and replace with healthy baked not fried foods, especially more fruits and veggies. Whole grains, not enriched crap.
And bring back recess!!

You know the reason these things will never happen, if we had a Secretary of Health that really wanted to implement all these changes that everyone has posted, big giant pharma would go out of business so fast, their heads would spin and fly off. Doctors would be next. Anything related to keeping the american people slaves to drugs and surgery would implode in a giant sinkhole, swallowing them all up, letting out a giant burp heard 'round the world.
But that would be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness